Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello everyone

I haven't been around the boards much lately since I decided that coming here was only making me obsess over my skin even more but I wanted to check in and let you know what I've been up to. I started seeing a psychiatrist 2 weeks ago and she diagnosed me with depression and anxiety. She put me on a drug called lexapro and I have been feeling better since I started taking it. My depressive episodes are less frequent and they don't last as long when they do occur. Hopefully I can be back to normal in another month or so. The doctor also prescribed me valium for when I get overwhelmed but I am trying to only take those when I really need it because it can become addicitve. However, it really seems to relax me when I do take it.

As far as my acne goes, I have not had much active acne is recent weeks. I have been very strict with my regimen (doxycycline plus benzaclin) and it seems to be paying off. However, I am plagued with red marks that are quite stubborn. I have had 3 IPL treatments for my red marks, the most recent of which was 10 days ago and unfortunatley the improvement has been very minor. I am undecided on whether or not I will continue with the IPL treatments because they are expensive and it doesn't seem worth it when the improvement is so minor. The good news is that when I wear makeup my red marks are virtually undetectable and people can't seem to tell I'm wearing makeup either. (I am a guy and it took me a long time to get comfortable with the idea of wearing makeup). So for now I am going to keep taking my medication, seeing my psychiatrist, wearing my makeup, and try to take things day to day. Life is definatley better than it was a month ago, but I still have a long way to go.