Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hmp

Hormonal Acne Affected By Diet?

Basically I'm pretty sure that my acne is due to hormonal reasons (it started getting really bad when I changed to a lower estrogen contraceptive pill) as opposed to dietary reasons (I have a really good diet).

So I'm wondering, if my acne is infact hormonal, does doing things like drinking lots of green tea/changing diet or whatever actually make a difference? If its caused by hormones then can what I do and don't eat actually have an effect? If you see what I mean? If the problem is rooted more deeply than diet then will changing diet actually make an improvement on the acne? Obviously drinking lots of green tea etc. is all round good for you, but will it really help my skin?

I feel like I don't deserve this acne because I eat so well and exercise, I'm so healthy yet it makes me feel like I look so ill and unhealthy :( I'm currently sitting in a cafe at my uni eating salad and drinking water, yet I'm surrounded by girls who are eating pizza and all sorts and they all have flawless skin. Its so so frustrating :(

I just posted this a few minutes ago. I also have hormonal acne. Here's what I wrote: "I'm 14 days with no new pimples. I've been on the "clear skin diet" for 6 weeks. This is the best my skin has ever looked (other than accutane. However, accutane was never a cure for me. My acne always came back.) I'm just in the process of doing IPL to get rid of all the hyperpigmentation left behind. I wish I had known that my acne was diet related when I was younger. I can't believe it took me this long to find this out. Retin A is also very helpful. Just .025% keeps my skin from clogging."

I always thought I ate healty, until I started looking at labels. Start by eliminating dairy and sugar. You may see improvement right away. Then add more of the good stuff: lots of colorful fruits and veggies (the brighter red, orange, green, etc the better). See my sig for the supplements I take. They are known to be deficient in acne patients. And stop looking at people with super clear skin eating pizza. They are genetically blessed.....I know it's frustrating, but it will only make you feel worse about yourself. Keep your chin up. You're young and you're armed with more info than I ever had when I was younger. Diet is the key to all good health, including skin health.

Edited by cln

Awww...gosh (*big hug*) I totally understand where you are coming from!! I hated to see ppl with Pristine skin eating french fries, chips, drinkin soda....while im eating a salad, fresh fruit and veggies...thinking "why me!!" But now that I look back...im glad for the pimples, cause they made me take a deeper look at my health and I learned what true health and wellness was all about. If you listen to your pimples, then you can uncover many unbalances within the body. Soo many ppl think just cause they look good they are healthy...and bam! dis-ease "sneaks" up on them.

Diet change absolutely works!!! It did for me. My acne was do to poor diet (which I though was healthy as well) AND hormonal (due to an abortion cry.gif ) I was soo toxic....and didnt even know it! Over the course of 2 yrs (acne got much better within a yr) I changed my diet and I NEVER have to worry about monster pimples these days . finallynomoreacne.com is everything i did to improve my skin and my life!

Basically I'm pretty sure that my acne is due to hormonal reasons (it started getting really bad when I changed to a lower estrogen contraceptive pill) as opposed to dietary reasons (I have a really good diet).

So I'm wondering, if my acne is infact hormonal, does doing things like drinking lots of green tea/changing diet or whatever actually make a difference? If its caused by hormones then can what I do and don't eat actually have an effect? If you see what I mean? If the problem is rooted more deeply than diet then will changing diet actually make an improvement on the acne? Obviously drinking lots of green tea etc. is all round good for you, but will it really help my skin?

I feel like I don't deserve this acne because I eat so well and exercise, I'm so healthy yet it makes me feel like I look so ill and unhealthy sad.png I'm currently sitting in a cafe at my uni eating salad and drinking water, yet I'm surrounded by girls who are eating pizza and all sorts and they all have flawless skin. Its so so frustrating sad.png

What do you consider to be a really good diet? I.E., what is it you eat usually?

I thought I ate very well before posting/reading here regularly but oh man was I wrong.

Btw, diet affects your hormone levels as well, particularly when it comes to sugar (even sugar from fruits, which I recently discovered I'm very sensitive to. A cup of cold-pressed organic apple juice is enough to leave me with a headache). I just came off of yasmin birth control (which is also relatively low on estrogen) as an attempt to get everything in me in balance (and therefore clear skin! Which is still a work in progress). It's fine if you want to stay on your BCP, just make sure you're getting lots of cruciferous veggies in your diet as they help rid your body of excess hormones. No one here can really help you out all that much unless you break down for us what you're eating, though. It'd behoove you to read as many stickied threads/threads in general as you continue to post (one I think would be particularly helpful to newcomers is the GAPS All Disease Begins In The Gut thread moonbase started).