Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Good Morning! I've been reading the posts on this site for years and they've helped me so much so I hope that this thread can help others. I have been suffering from acne for more than 20 years. For most of that time, it has been mild but there have been periods when it flares up and becomes severe. I really struggle with staying positive about it because I can't remember ever having clear skin. The brief periods when it has looked really good have been a week or so at a time and I still always have 3 or 4 active lesions. When it's bad (like now), I have 40-50. I've become very good with makeup but it's exhausting to painstakingly apply layers before feeling comfortable leaving the house.

So, I'm 35 and I just started my fourth course of accutane. I took a course at 17, 20, 28 and now at 35. Accutane has never cleared me completely but it does help a lot, although the results are (obviously) temporary. My current dermatologist is committed to leaving me on Accutane as long as it takes so I am feeling hopeful that this may be my last time. However, I'm 55 days into my course and my IB has been horrible. I generally break out around my jaw line but I currently have lesions on my back, all over my neck, across my jawline and my cheeks. I have scoured this forum to read about the experiences other users have had with their IB and end up feeling a little depressed. It seems like most users experience their IB in the first month and that it only lasts a couple of weeks. I know that this isnt' true for everyone but it seems like most IB's are fairly short.

I hope that there aren't other people out there that have had to go through this many treatments and this many years with acne but I thought I would post in case there are others so that you would know that you're not alone. Plus, I'm hoping for a little encouragement, honestly. So many of you have diligently fought this battle and won and that has been very encouraging for me to read! I hope that I can join the group of ex-sufferers and provide hope to others.

Peace!

Hi Nikki! :D

I'm in Accutane, too. I know that a lot of people don't see clearing until their third or fourth month, some people even experience an IB whenever their dosage is changed, some even have a delayed IB when they seemed out of the woods in the first month or so. Keep your chin up and be like a lion. ;) How long were your first three courses, may I ask? And has anything else really helped you aside from Accutane?

You have our full support here. :) At the very least, you have mine!

Thank you! My first three courses were four months at 40 mg. I weigh 105 lbs, so that seems about right, although I've never had complete clearing either. I don't remember my IB's being this bad on previous courses but it has been a long time so I may have blocked out the trauma.

I've tried everything to deal with acne and I have never had any success . After my accutane course when I was 20, Proactive worked incredibly well for me but stopped being effective after about a year. Over the last 3 or 4 years, I gave up on prescriptions and tried a complete overhaul of my diet. I eat fruit, vegetables, legumes and nuts and nothing else but it hasn't made any difference at all. I have also tried buying expensive skin care systems through Dermatologists, facials, microderms - also no luck. My skin is a bit perplexing. It is not overly oily, I have absolutely no scarring and it has nice tone and clarity where it's not broken out (no large pores). As far as I can tell, nothing makes it worse or better but I do need to start a skin log to be more sure of that. I work out six days a week, drink 3-4 liters/day of water.....I try really hard to make healthy choices but it hasn't changed my skin. I think most people taking Accutane understand my anxiety - I get anxious at the thought of camping with friends, running races or doing anything where I might have to show my skin without makeup.

I have a new Dermatologist that seems ready to find a way to resolve this for me. She seems great so I hope that with dedication and her help, I'll be clear someday!

Fingers crossed that the fourth time is a charm for you, Nikki. You're in the right place where support and encouragement is concerned - everyone on Accutane will be with you on this and we can all relate to the battles with acne. Best of luck! :)

Thanks for the hopeful wishes, Paul! The active members like you and The Resident Eccentric have been so helpful to me. I've read hundreds of threads on this site and it's been invaluable. You both look great so you have obviously learned a lot about how to deal with acne effectively!