Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

As of right now my skin is perfectly clear... only red marks left and a few dark spots but they're fading quickly. I have discovered that for me at least, acne is almost 100% diet related. Not only in what you eat but how much you eat. I have tried almost all restrictive diets.. paleo, vegetarian, raw vegan, gluten free, etc. Each of them worked to a certain degree (raw vegan worked quickest for me) however, I had never achieved perfect clarity until recently, through fasting. Most are skeptical of fasting and I dismissed it myself upon first hearing about it but eventually I ended doing it anyway with no intentions. My girl had broken up with me and I pretty much just stayed in my pitch black room for 3 days straight eating no food and barely drinking water. I didn't even notice my complexion until day 6 after which time I had only eaten half an apple and about 2 cups of cheeze its lol. Well, that gave me a nice confidence boost and I have continued to eat minimal amounts of the healthiest food possible. I'm probably still at a caloric deficit but weight can always be gained back... I'll probably try some juice fasting in the near future so as not to become even more emaciated. surprised.gif

Best of luck

so you lost weight on this fast? = /

I totally believe in fasting but am just scared of losing weight.

Raw vegan diet worked well for me too, in just 2 months..but you probably know how hard that diet is, unless you make the imitation meals which isn't really as healthy as they make it out to be.

I was in my room just a few min ago thinking about doing a water fast. But I'm scared that I will lose weight and my skin will get saggy and lose elasticity, and I will lose all the fat in my breasts. Maybe I'm being too paranoid? The longest water fast I have done is 3 days, and it realllly does heal your skin super fast. I wanna do one so bad.

What was your diet like before the fast?

Oh and yes, caloric restriction has been known to even make you live longer. I also read somewhere that they used to put acne patients on a water fast to clear their acne, and then re-introduce certain foods to see what they are allergic to. I honestly believe anyone can get clear with a water fast.

Yes I believe a water fast would work for just about anyone... it just takes a lot of discipline. I'm sure I did lose weight but It's hardly noticeable because I'm already so thin, nothing dramatic.

I don't think you should be scared at all, you might lose a bit of weight but I read that it's easier to gain it back after the fast and that way you can build yourself back up with better materials. Also, I highly doubt any of you're skin would become saggy... mine seemed to tighten up nicely. It seems that the body knows intuitively what to break down and what to leave. Your breasts might shrink a little if you were pushing like 10 days... might be worth it though.

Before the fast I was eating pretty healthily but no strict program... green smoothies for breakfast is the only rule I never break, which seems to help the most. Maybe try juice or fruit fasting if you don't want to lose as much weight eusa_think.gif

Try intermittent fasting instead. Such as eating all your meals within an 8 hour period leaving a 16 hour fast each day. Or alternating days of reduced calories. But overall, you need to eat adequate calories and nutrients to maintain a healthy weight. These have been studied and found to improve many factors that affect acne such as insulin sensitivity and cell proliferation.

I'm 14 days with no new pimples. I've been on the "clear skin diet" for 6 weeks. This is the best my skin has ever looked (other than accutane. However, accutane was never a cure for me. My acne always came back.) I'm just in the process of doing IPL to get rid of all the hyperpigmentation left behind. I wish I had known that my acne was diet related when I was younger. I can't believe it took me this long to find this out. Retin A is also very helpful. Just .025% keeps my skin from clogging.

Edited by cln

I'm 14 days with no new pimples. I've been on the "clear skin diet" for 6 weeks. This is the best my skin has ever looked (other than accutane. However, accutane was never a cure for me. My acne always came back.) I'm just in the process of doing IPL to get rid of all the hyperpigmentation left behind. I wish I had known that my acne was diet related when I was younger. I can't believe it took me this long to find this out. Retin A is also very helpful. Just .025% keeps my skin from clogging.

You fasted for 14 days, is that correct? And what is the "clear skin diet"?

Yes I believe a water fast would work for just about anyone... it just takes a lot of discipline. I'm sure I did lose weight but It's hardly noticeable because I'm already so thin, nothing dramatic.

I don't think you should be scared at all, you might lose a bit of weight but I read that it's easier to gain it back after the fast and that way you can build yourself back up with better materials. Also, I highly doubt any of you're skin would become saggy... mine seemed to tighten up nicely. It seems that the body knows intuitively what to break down and what to leave. Your breasts might shrink a little if you were pushing like 10 days... might be worth it though.

Before the fast I was eating pretty healthily but no strict program... green smoothies for breakfast is the only rule I never break, which seems to help the most. Maybe try juice or fruit fasting if you don't want to lose as much weight eusa_think.gif

It's interesting but, I actually do better on water fasts than on juice fasts, because it's so easy to just not eat anything because there is no hassle with blending or cutting up a salad. And drinking juice everyday makes me hungry for real food...when I fast I don't have any hunger. It's weird.

I'm probably going to do a fast when my school is over so I'm stress free. I guess since I'm still young I won't get that loose skin people talk about and because I'm already thin and don't have any excess fat I won't lose much weight.

But I think more people with acne should look into water fasting and getting their diet back on track afterwards.

No I don't fast. The clear skin diet is low glycemic, no dairy, no sugar, no processed foods, lots of fresh fruits and colorful veggies and lean meats. I would never fast. I teach spin 5-6x/week so I need alot of good calories.

so you lost weight on this fast? = /

I totally believe in fasting but am just scared of losing weight.

Raw vegan diet worked well for me too, in just 2 months..but you probably know how hard that diet is, unless you make the imitation meals which isn't really as healthy as they make it out to be.

I was in my room just a few min ago thinking about doing a water fast. But I'm scared that I will lose weight and my skin will get saggy and lose elasticity, and I will lose all the fat in my breasts. Maybe I'm being too paranoid? The longest water fast I have done is 3 days, and it realllly does heal your skin super fast. I wanna do one so bad.

What was your diet like before the fast?

Oh and yes, caloric restriction has been known to even make you live longer. I also read somewhere that they used to put acne patients on a water fast to clear their acne, and then re-introduce certain foods to see what they are allergic to. I honestly believe anyone can get clear with a water fast.

Yes, fasts will make you lose weight no matter if it's a juice fast or a water fast.

Beginning my fast today actually.

As of right now my skin is perfectly clear... only red marks left and a few dark spots but they're fading quickly. I have discovered that for me at least, acne is almost 100% diet related. Not only in what you eat but how much you eat. I have tried almost all restrictive diets.. paleo, vegetarian, raw vegan, gluten free, etc. Each of them worked to a certain degree (raw vegan worked quickest for me) however, I had never achieved perfect clarity until recently, through fasting. Most are skeptical of fasting and I dismissed it myself upon first hearing about it but eventually I ended doing it anyway with no intentions. My girl had broken up with me and I pretty much just stayed in my pitch black room for 3 days straight eating no food and barely drinking water. I didn't even notice my complexion until day 6 after which time I had only eaten half an apple and about 2 cups of cheeze its lol. Well, that gave me a nice confidence boost and I have continued to eat minimal amounts of the healthiest food possible. I'm probably still at a caloric deficit but weight can always be gained back... I'll probably try some juice fasting in the near future so as not to become even more emaciated. surprised.gif

Best of luck

Fasting is not normal and it's not healthy at all. You need to provide enough calories to your body, you need protein and fats. There is a way to manage acne without fasting. Dig deeper and find good foods that are okay to eat.

If you're little overweight tho, it's beneficial for you actually. But if your weight is normal or u're underweight like me, then fasting would cause you losing even more weight. So stop fasting and eat healthy food.

Edited by amy91

Fasting is not normal and it's not healthy at all.

Fasting might not be considered normal to you, but think about how at least the major abrahamitic religions all have fasts (lent, ramadan) as part of their culture. I'm sure more religions/cultures emphasise fasting. My point is that fasting is something with a very long history, and I believe that's for a reason. I've read so many people who state that fasting is very "natural" to our bodies based on how we "a long long time ago" might go without food for extended periods of time during dry seasons or when as nomads moving from one place to another.

In my op fasting can be very healthy and beneficial IF DONE RIGHT: with a plan, preparation, following a program of some sort while on the fast, and having a good amount of info on how to break the fast. There are lots of raw foodists who do 90 day juice fasts to further heal themselves from conditions and diseases, so it's not impossible to fast for extended amounts of time and gain health benefits.

Personally I think water fasting is a very advandced way to fast, and not something I would do without having done "milder" fasts before (or been on a mostly raw food diet for a while). Green smoothie fasts (or feasts, as they're called), juice feasts, a few days of mono-eating (just one seasonal fruit for 3 days or so) are alternatives.

Fasting is not normal and it's not healthy at all.

Fasting might not be considered normal to you, but think about how at least the major abrahamitic religions all have fasts (lent, ramadan) as part of their culture. I'm sure more religions/cultures emphasise fasting. My point is that fasting is something with a very long history, and I believe that's for a reason. I've read so many people who state that fasting is very "natural" to our bodies based on how we "a long long time ago" might go without food for extended periods of time during dry seasons or when as nomads moving from one place to another.

In my op fasting can be very healthy and beneficial IF DONE RIGHT: with a plan, preparation, following a program of some sort while on the fast, and having a good amount of info on how to break the fast. There are lots of raw foodists who do 90 day juice fasts to further heal themselves from conditions and diseases, so it's not impossible to fast for extended amounts of time and gain health benefits.

Personally I think water fasting is a very advandced way to fast, and not something I would do without having done "milder" fasts before (or been on a mostly raw food diet for a while). Green smoothie fasts (or feasts, as they're called), juice feasts, a few days of mono-eating (just one seasonal fruit for 3 days or so) are alternatives.

Can you imagine if someone who's weight is 110lbs and height is 5'7'', tries 90 day juice fasting? lol Trust me, after becoming an anerexic, acne will be forgotten from that particualr person.

So fasting is not the way out for many people. If you wanna try it-go ahead and do it. But it's not an option for everybody.