Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
thritsco

Cystic Acne Breakout. Help? :/

Hey guys, so, I've been lurking around here often but have FINALLY signed up. I need to know what I'm doing wrong, or what may be the cause of this terrible cystic breakout. Now, for a background story... Since I was around 14 I've had awful acne. Cysts, nodules, whiteheads, you name it (minus blackheads for some odd reason... hahah). I was put on tetracycline and tazorac and after about two months it worked wonders on my skin. I was clear and could walk out of the house without embarassment and without makeup. Fast forward to two years later- it stopped working. I was on it every day until the doctor said enough was enough, and that I had become immune and resistant to the antibiotic. So, we left it at that and just went topical creams for awhile until my acne drove me crazy and I wanted to go back on an antibiotic, which was then Minocycline, as well as a birth control (Yaz). Now, Minocycline was my best friend for the time I was on it. From the first day I took it I saw results. Everyday after that I got clearer. It worked fabulously until the summer came along (about eight months of using both Yaz and Mino). I got VERY sick and was practically bed ridden because I couldn't move without feeling I was going to throw up, and I couldn't eat in fear that I really would vomit. After four or so months I went back to normal after a couple tests to which the doctors said they didn't have a specific answer as to what I had. Fast forward a few months, my acne comes back with a vengeance and I beg for an antibiotic (which I was then prescribed Doxycycline). Doxycycline made me dizzy and nauseous and I couldn't take it for longer than a month. So I cut that out of my regimen and went back to Minocycline for six months.After that, I was straight topical and birth control for a year, and sometimes I would get terrible, terrible breakouts. And then sometimes my skin was clear and I could go without makeup like before... UNTIL this year. About a month and a half ago I freaked out over the cysts coming back on my lower jaw and cheeks. I went back to the doctor and begged to be put back on minocycline (and I was put on clindamycin, as well). Now, like before I was expecting the miracle to happen; where my cysts would be gone the next day.

Nope. They were there. Same as before. And so this continued on, and still does. I seemed to have had the initial bad breakout people talk about when they go on antibiotics. And it's calmed down a little after I smothered my face with Tazorac/Retina-A/Clindamycin (I have all three from previous uses with different antibiotics). Now that it's winter time, it didn't really help to just dry my face out, and it seems to maybe be causing more breakouts. I've been going the natural route since I've been put on Mino for the third time, using lemon juice, ACV, Aztec Healing Clay, baking soda, Lavender oil, Coconut oil, and Aloe Vera gel. I feel like it has helped out some, especially around my chin and the area around my nose/mouth.

What I'm prescribed atm: Minocycline (oral antibiotic), clindamycin (topical antibiotic), and birth control

- I use liberal amounts of moisturizer, often reapplying.

-I avoid dairy at all costs, I just don't like it

-I drink coffee and smoke cigarettes

-I eat decently, although soda is my weakness.

Well, members. There's my history and where I am today. I would like your input as to whether you think Minocycline and I are done for good, or whether I'm drying my face out, or if it's just something else.

Here's some pictures to show you where my face is currently:

post-163312-0-80151300-1322779905_thumb.

post-163312-0-10017900-1322779918_thumb.

post-163312-0-23633500-1322779942_thumb.

post-163312-0-80151300-1322779905_thumb.

post-163312-0-10017900-1322779918_thumb.

post-163312-0-23633500-1322779942_thumb.

Edited by thritsco

Would you be able to tell me what your morning and night skin care regimen is ? Are you following a healthcare diet and if or What types of food do you eat?

Would you be able to tell me what your morning and night skin care regimen is ? Are you following a healthcare diet and if or What types of food do you eat?

Morning:

use warm water and use African Black Soap I got from Whole Foods.

pat face dry with towel

apply ACV, then Tazorac cream, then aloe vera gel

Use eucerin (my face is REALLY dry) and then apply a facial lotion that's around

Take Minocycline before I eat/after I eat

Night:

-Same as morning

in the middle of the day, though, I can go crazy with face masks. Which often means I wash my face 3+ times.

I use the egg white face mask, a baking soda face mask, avocado face mask, a sugar+honey+olive oil+green tea concoction mask.

It depends on what I will impulsively do that day. I usually skip a couple days and then on one day I go crazy with masks.

And I'm not really following a healthcare diet, but I've looked up some anti-inflammatory foods that I may start eating more.

I avoid all dairy food and don't take any supplements, except downing two glasses of airborne a day.

I LOVE soda and coffee, but I tend to eat well (more fruits than veggies).

I JUST updated my original post about my habits. xD

such as smoking, drinking coffee, etc

ALSO.

My hair is usually styled in the "scene" way xD

Excuse the obviously edited picture, I'm not aiming to impress anyone :(

But my hair is just all up in my face.biggrin.png

outisdehyhyhyh.jpg

Edited by thritsco

Your skin care regimen sounds fine, but you did mention about using any lotion that you find laying around, most Fragrant lotions tend to cause more breakouts because there not non comodegenic. Which can clog your pores. I'd say you look into a really good moisturizer that's oil-free, non-comodegenic and non-fragrance. As for the face mask that sounds good but I would reduce it to once a week considering that you are using already to many products on your face even though there natural home remedies, you want to treat your skin as simple as possible so it can heal properly . What I found to help real good with my cyst was drinking a glass of turmeric(Indian spice) powder with warm water for a whole month and my cyst were gone within a month. They weren't painful any more it really is a godsend for me.

Also you said you wash your face three times a day, I think you should wash it two times a day so that you don't aggravate your skin.

Have you ever consider to drink less coffee and soda, I side to drink that on a daily basis but I quit 3 months ago because I feel that acne is promotely caused by the foods that we put in our system. So acne is a way of letting us know that something is wrong inside of our bodies.

Try cutting out wheat, gluten and dairy as well for a week and see if that's the cause of your cystic breakout .

Do you break out in your forehead as well or is it just in the cheek zone ?? Because I can see from your picture that you said you keep your hair all over your face and the oil on your hair can sometimes cause breakouts.

Your acne isnt that bad atall, your very beautiful. Too me being on antibiotics that long is pretty horrifying. Their not a long term cure as you have realized and in the long run can wreak havoc on your intestinal Flori. I would start taking a pro biotic if your planning to stay on them.

You should really try cutting out the soda for a few weeks an see if it helps out. For me sugar was the major problems and until I cut out, dairy sugar, and most of all carbs I wouldnt see any improvements. It could have been any number of reasons that made sugar affect me.Candida over growth, insulin resistance, increased antrogens, spiked blood sugar, worked the liver etc. I know it sounds stupid since its so obvious but you may be surprised. I was able to do this till i moved out and had my own income though and nothing gave me as good results.

How has the birth control been working? If it helped out then maybe beta sitosterol or saw palmetto could help with your hormones. Guggul is also very affective for cystic acne. In a study on it on 20 people cured them about 60% or more in 2 months. Works in about a month for me. Do a google search. If you get good effects from it then you may beable to quit the antibiotic.

I've recently had good results with sudo cream. I would cut out the acv and try madelic acid if you can afford it. I buy the 15% from Garden of Wisdom and it helped dramatically. It is a gentle exfoliator like AHAs and Salicylic acid but it has anti bacterial and anti fungal properties. I've tried most everything and this was a good one. If your skin isnt responding to all of the antibiotic an anti fungal may be a nice addiction. Fungus can cause the exact problems the acne bacteria causes. Just some suggestions. I've been dealing with this for 10 years and am down from like 200+ spots to about 3 using some of the stuff I mentioned. Just some stuff to think about

Oh yeah, also since it looks mainly around your jawline that often means it is hormone related

Edited by Chris1337

Hello rolleyes.gif

Have you ever considered that your acne may be hormonal in nature? I know you said you took Yaz but sometimes having a hormone panel done can explain a lot. Maybe try not to have too much coffee and soda I have heard it can cause your insulin to spike which can in turn trigger breakouts. I feel for you that you were on antibiotics for that long. In the end it can be counterproductive and wreck your internal balance. Your better off getting probiotics, very strong ones and taking them before each meal. It helped my skin tremendously.

I really appreciate every responding to me :)

It seems that taking probiotics is the most common advice, as well as cutting out soda and coffee. I can give it a shot to see if any changes occur, since it seems to have helped most people.

I got an appointment with my doctor to see if I cam switch birth controls, because the current one I'm on is not as effective Yaz (I feel like). I've been on this one for one and a half years, and Yaz did more for me in less time.

From what Chris1337 said about hormonal acne is seen around the jawline, I most definitely will check out saw palmetto and guggul.

But! On a side note, after searching through the regimen boards I came across one member's regimen (and I'll link it when I'm able to access a computer), where he used psyillium fiber husk and oxy brand washes and creams. I did the best I could finding substitutes for the Oxy since the specific items he mentioned were discontinued.

But it went like this nigh and day:

Wash face with Oxy wash (2% percent salicylic acid)

Apply 10% benzoyl peroxide cream on for 10-15 mins and then wash off

Take 6 pills of fiber (morning only)

-I use jojoba oil and a moisturizer after, though, since my face gets dry.

It seems to cause the little bumps to go away, and draws out the pus and whatnot from the cysts.

I'll post pics as soon as I can to show you what I mean :)

i had really bad acne around jaw line and mouth and about 2 months ago i started the candida diet and am acne FREEEEEE. If you want to know what i am taking for it let me know or look on my posts. It is the only thing that has worked for me 100%. probiotics and take more than the bottle says. I take 6 day the bottle says 2....

So, I've been on that Fiber regimend for about a week and a half-two weeks. I have to say, it's doing its job of pushing all the impurities to the surface. I have the worst breakout along my cheeks, but it's healing. I've taken up one members' advice on taking Saw Palmetto, but I'm not sure if it's working. I take about four a day (two in the morning, two at night) along with the six fiber a day. I've also taken to putting a green tea powder paste on the problem areas, Acne seems to have flared up along random spots on my forehead, but it's not terrible and it's easily hidden.

I switched to Yaz on myu last doctor's visit (last Thursday), so we'll see how that goes after I finish my current pack of Apri.

I don't use as much moisturizer anymore, I just apply jojoba oil if I need to clear up dry spots.

Anyways, theres the update. Let me get those pictures.

week 1-

post-163312-0-95228500-1323629143_thumb.

week 2-

post-163312-0-62799300-1323629157_thumb.

week 1-

post-163312-0-34549600-1323629204_thumb.

week 2-

post-163312-0-31316900-1323629212_thumb.

post-163312-0-95228500-1323629143_thumb.

post-163312-0-62799300-1323629157_thumb.

post-163312-0-34549600-1323629204_thumb.

post-163312-0-31316900-1323629212_thumb.

Edited by thritsco

I think I need to write a log and put in all my history/info/advice/regimen etc. and just refer people to it, because I find myself sharing the same things repeatedly!

First of all, you're gorgeous and have beautiful eyes! From the looks of your acne, it seems hormonal as well as maybe some of the things you're doing topically. Since everyone is different, I can only speak from what has worked or worsened my acne, and hope that I can help others discover their culprits and cures.

I'm on birth control (orthotricycline) and have been on it since I was about 12. Almost 10 years. I went off it for a year and broke out in horrible cysts, all along my temples, jawline, and neck. Went on accutane and birth control in 2009. Skin cleared up, but I didn't make any dietary changes or continue with a topical to prevent breakouts. Had minor break outs but no more cysts. Then, around this time last year, I started breaking out HORRIBLY all over again. There were 3 things that I had changed at that time- a different brand of birth control, new shampoo/conditioner, and the proactiv gentle formula (salicylic acid). I discovered acne.org and radically changed my diet and lifestyle.

In this long process, I've discovered MAJOR culprits to my acne. In February I started the regimen, and I didn't listen to my skin obviously screaming at me to stop. Still, I was clearing up but bright red. It was strange though, because I started breaking out in these cysts on my cheeks. I hadn't had them since before accutane. I stopped the regimen after a few months, but sometimes would use the moisturizer. My major cysts stopped, though I would get a random one. Then, I would break out in cysts wherever I applied it- arms, back, legs..... Bottom line, I believe that for Me jojoba oil was contributing to my cystic acne and other acne. I stopped using it in September. I would use it as a makeup remover, but even though I stopped getting cysts I still battled with pimples. I believe it definitely clogs my pores.

The biggest food/internal culprits to my acne/cysts in the past: dairy (especially milk and cheese), caffeine (especially coffee and soda), wheat/gluten, soy. As far as topically, any lotions with "dimethicone" or alcohols listed, laundry detergent, sodium lauryl sulfate, jojoba oil, salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, peels, topical clindamycin have all contributed to allergic reactions, breakouts, burning, dryness, irritation, you name it. I can't use antibiotics because I'm allergic to penicillins, and didn't do too well with most others when I've had to take them in the past unrelated to acne.

Not all moisturizers with oil or fragrances are bad. I use one that has both, but it doesn't contain the other ingredients that have plagued my skin for soo long. I'm praying for your skin, that it heals and that you can see yourself as beautiful!!! Don't let it rob you! continue fighting girl.

Dan posts many videos (I don't know if you've ever watched them). I just watched a video he made on smoking and acne. Maybe smoking is also contributing to the cysts?

Time for a check-in. It's been about 3 weeks and I just wanted you all to see my face. Not that much improvement. I guess I'm getting somewhere. I've been following the fiber regimen still, so it looks like:

morning:

x6 psyllium fiber husk pills

x2 saw palmetto

2% salicylic face wash

10% bp cream for 10 mins. and then wash off

clindamycin gel

moisturizer

night:

x2 saw palmetto pills

x1 Apri bc pill

-face wash

-bp for 10 mins

-clindamycin

-moisturizer

-green tea paste left on overnight

anyways. My right side has gotten better, my left is getting progressivly worse. My face tends to do this, though... where it switches sides of acne. Also, my forehead has gotten worse (and usually it's pretty clear).

Check it out:

week 1 right side-

post-163312-0-90716700-1324272701_thumb.

week 2 right-

post-163312-0-87213200-1324272744_thumb.

week 3 right-

post-163312-0-09611300-1324272766_thumb.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Week 1 Left-

post-163312-0-14809300-1324272787_thumb.

week 2 left-

post-163312-0-59358400-1324272729_thumb.

week 3 Left-

post-163312-0-81959300-1324272825_thumb.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Forehead week 3-

post-163312-0-01809200-1324272847_thumb.

post-163312-0-90716700-1324272701_thumb.

post-163312-0-59358400-1324272729_thumb.

post-163312-0-87213200-1324272744_thumb.

post-163312-0-09611300-1324272766_thumb.

post-163312-0-14809300-1324272787_thumb.

post-163312-0-81959300-1324272825_thumb.

post-163312-0-01809200-1324272847_thumb.

Edited by thritsco

Soda and coffee don't affect my acne. Just being around people smoking though makes me break out a day or two later I've noticed. But sometimes I drink a lot of soda and coffee and sometimes I'll go a few days or a week without either and I see no difference. I'm also a beer drinker. A couple beers a night maybe more than that on the weekends but I don't see that making it worse since I've started drinking beer consistently. My guess would be the smoking is not helping your acne. I use to get cysts, not a lot, but I would get them, and then I started the regimen and now I'll get maybe 1 or 2 a month. That's about it. I would honestly suggest stopping everything you are doing and just trying the regimen by itself the way Dan suggests. Give it a few months, it may work for you as well.

Wow!! You're skin is looking soooo much better! I know you probably can't tell the difference, but it seems like you're not getting any more cysts, and the redmarks are greatly fading. Mine don't fade that fast!! It takes about 3 MONTHS for it to fade. Congratulation girl! Keep it up!

I have the most simple regimen which I believe could really work for you. My acne used to be at the same level as yours, now I get maybe 1 small spot a week tops and can happily say I have clear skin for the first time in nearly 12 years. I personally think numerous people just use far too many products/over complicate things. Seriously my regimen is literally 3 simple steps,which I do morning and night ... takes me 15 mins only =).

Let me know if you want to know more and I'll be happy to help =)

x

First of all, I feel like we could be best friends. haha. Your story is very similar to mine. Seems like you've tried a lot of

remedies and products, as I have. I literally have four full pages (front and back) of things that I have tried that didn't work.

I feel like, now, I am on the right path--knock on wood ;). My doctor prescribed me Acanya Gel, which I'm pretty sure is what

you are using? and Also Minocycline, which I opted not to take because the reviews for it were terrible, and you have to stay on

it indefinitely, if it does work. I also decided against the birth control, although it was recommended.

Have you had your hormone levels checked? I did. They were normal, so good thing I didn't do the birth control cause it would've

messed me up. My acupuncturist told me that birth control is the worst thing you can do for your skin, so i would get off it, if I were you.

I had really bad cystic acne for a few months (it's better now, but not gone away). Right now, I am using the gel like I mentioned, exercising (mostly skin yoga), and DESTRESSING (SO important). I am a Nutritional Consultant so diet is also a huge part of my life. I don't eat sugars, most grains, or processed food. Although most dairy is really bad for you, CULTURED, RAW, ORGANIC dairy is amazing for your skin. My skin started changing for the better when I started drinking Amasai! The probiotics in it and really good for you.

If I were you, I would get off birth control and my prescriptions :( Except for the topicals, and I would start SUPER dosing on probiotics. (supplements or from cultured dairy), I think it would help you a lot.

I think winter acne is caused by forced air heating. I hav acne bad in winter. Before this house i was clear and i had a hot water radiator heat heating system then. Im really thinking of buying a home with that heating system so i hope its true and im not crazy.