Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
InAStateOfHopefulness

"we'll Have To Photoshop Your Acne" =C?!

So at the hair salon I frequent they asked me if I wanted to do some photoshoots for their salon. I of course happily said yes. I was going into have my hair bleached super blonde. I was wanting to do something BOLD. After an hour of torturous bleaching (SCALP WAS ON FIRE), and pounds of hair product that I'm sure wasn't doing my acne any favors, I was getting ready for the photographs. I went through the embarrassing process of them removing my makeup and exposing my face. The makeup artist acted as if she was going to catch the acne. On top of this she asked me "Do you wash your face daily"? I responded with "Duh. I see the derm monthly and am on accutane. Its all fine." Awkward silence ensued. Pictures were taken. Apparently in the lighting and angle there were some bumps showing. When we were looking through the photographs the photographer said "We'll have to photoshop your acne."

000vs.jpg

They're all horrible at their jobs. Well except for the lady who styles my hair. She's an amazing lady. She was the only enjoyable part of the experience. Well except for when she was burning my scalp.

crazy.gif

Ah, don't even worry about them. Some people really don't understand acne and prefer to remain ignorant about it. People who think that acne is an issue of hygiene are beyond silly and terribly misinformed. The saddest part is the fact that they work in an industry where you'd think they would know at least a sliver of information about acne (and given that it's not an uncommon thing, why act as though they've never seen it before? BIG. DEAL.) I bet your photos turned out fine, and your acne is so mild that I'm surprised they even brought it up. thumbsup.gif Haters gonna hate!

Ah, don't even worry about them. Some people really don't understand acne and prefer to remain ignorant about it. People who think that acne is an issue of hygiene are beyond silly and terribly misinformed. The saddest part is the fact that they work in an industry where you'd think they would know at least a sliver of information about acne (and given that it's not an uncommon thing, why act as though they've never seen it before? BIG. DEAL.) I bet your photos turned out fine, and your acne is so mild that I'm surprised they even brought it up. thumbsup.gif Haters gonna hate!

TYVM for the kind words. This is really the first time someone has talked about my acne in a manner that I felt... offended. I read horror stories here on the org and I always feel so bad. I thought the same thing. I'm sure I'm not the only person with acne they've encountered. They shouldn't act so put off about it. Now I can't help but think that my face will be plastered across their wall(s) and there will be massive bumps... "despite the photoshopping".

BTW my acne only looks mild because its pretty concealed. I have like 15 "bumps" on my face and large amounts of aftermath (redness and the like). I guess you can't conceal big bumps =s

I hate how ignorant people are...The "do you wash your face" question is the worst thing you can say to someone who has acne. It makes me want to wash my face 500 times in front of them for an hour straight and say "Is it magically gone yet?"

Nobody has ever asked me if I wash my face but I know for sure what my response would be: "Yes I do. In fact, I guarantee that my skin is actually a lot cleaner than yours."

As for the photographer, I would have said, "Or, you could do your job properly and light the shots in such a way that my skin looks alright, without you having to manipulate the pictures to make me look like someone I am not." I'd get the upper-hand on them as far as that one goes because I'm a photographer and know the tricks. It's not even that hard so to go straight for Photoshop is just plain lazy. That annoys me because those people get the work yet aren't actually talented photographers.

Just be yourself, take care of your skin and do whatever you need to do in order to feel comfortable with it. Don't let other people change that or take your attenntion away from your aim because they're not worth it. You can also be happy in the knowledge that you're nowhere near as ignorant as they are. Best of luck with the Accutane, too!

smile.png

Edited by PaulH85

i know what that feels like! i was modeling before my acne got bad and it really slowed me down! i hated caking on the makeup and then still having it show in those hi-resolution pictures. never look at an unedited hi-res picture of yourself if you can avoid it! lol but it got me really down when the editing was so heavy and my pictures still didn't look natural or attractive. but you're already on accutane and it will get better from here right? "do you wash your face?" is a stupid question but they probably didn't mean anything by it. some prefer to ignore other people's acne, which is probably the more polite thing, but other people are uneducated/curious about it, especially if they've never had it.

'Do you wash your face?' is simply insulting to me IMO, you were right to feel offended. I guarantee we wash our faces MORE than they do and I think its pretty obvious that acne is a sensitive topic, asking dumb questions about something you know little to nothing about is just being insensitive. Some people are just too ignorant/uncaring to be worth your time, just try to forget what ever they said.

Its nearly as bad as the idiots that say 'you have a sport there' or whatever. No sh*t Sherlock, thanks for telling me eusa_wall.gif

wow, i cant believe a MAKEUP ARTIST said that to you. like the other replies said, makeup artists, of all people, should know at least the first thing about acne and skin. your skin looks fine, its depressing that they were so insensitive and ignorant. i wonder if celebrities are treated that way when they have acne...

anyways, show us the final photos! :)