Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey so I've been on accutane for a week now, and I wanted to get some answers about it. Me and my sister went to the doctor a week ago, and both were prescribed accutane. she has severe acne, and has been on accutane before, and it works for her. I on the other hand, have mild/moderate acne, where I get a cyst here and there. I told this all to my doctor upon arrival, and she said that accutane was more widely prescribed for all kinds of acne, and that she would be put on a low dose, and i should be good to go (20?) but im still wondering about it. My sister has virtually clear skin after a week, and is extremely dry- which i know is par for the course- but while my skin already looks better, im not even that dry in the least, and im worrying that because my acne is not that bad, the effectiveness of accutane will be decreased. Has anyone here went on accutane for like stage 2-3 of acne (thats what my doc said my skin was, whereas my sister is a 4) case, and had good results? Before going to the doctor, i assumed accutane was a last ditch effort for severe acne, and while a lot of topical creams and medications haven't helped, my skin has never been considered severe enough for this.

Any thoughts? Advice? experience? Much appreciated!

Your derm may think its something that runs in your family, and although its not as bad as your sisters now, it can develop into worse acne. I think it should be just as effective and actually better that your treating it while its moderate. Just go with the flow, good luck! :-)