Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
luc_nic

2Nd And Last Time!

so.....i first took a course of accutane in 2007 at 19/20 years old. i took 30mg a day start to finish for 8 months for moderate acne. it worked amazingly well, i didnt have an IB and i was basically clear from month 3. as it was quite a low dose (i weighed 60kg) i didnt experience anything more than dry lips.

fast forward 4 years and im having problems again. ive had odd breakouts between then and now but usually following alot of time in the sun travelling or when things have been a bit stressful. on the whole, alls been well.

so the last couple months ive had a few cysts and reoccurring things and now that im 24 i think its times i get this sorted for good. so as of yesterday ive started on 10mg a day for the first month. im starting off slow to hopefully avoid an IB and ease in gently. i'll work up to 40mg this time and start on a topical retinoid after, at least thats the plan.

as yet my derm hasnt really said how long my course will be, i guess we'll see how things go.

day 2:

had one just under my left jaw which has fallen off today, great!

have one sort of healing thing on my right jaw after a recurring cyst thats been around for a couple weeks. on my right cheek ive had a sort of small cyst for a few days that i spent forever icing yesterday and tried spot treating with aspirin mask. its definately flatter today that it was this time yesterday so hopefully tomorrow it will have reduced some more!

few little things dotted around but nothing else major.

day 3

i know this is ridiculously early and i probably sound a bit barmy as 3 days of 10 mg is unlikely to be doing anything yet, but ive been super oily today. the blackheads on my nose looks a little more prominent than usual too.

ive had a few clogged pores crop up today but i was able to extract them really easily (i know i know, dont pick) i wasnt picking as such. right now i dont have any active acne. surprised.gif

i do however have way too many red marks than im cool with. eusa_wall.gif

washing my face my skin feels really smooth, which im super thankful for. but i have 2 massive red marks on my right cheek/jaw from cysts ive had recently. the other red marks are much smaller and im not too worried about them ones. i think the mark on my jaw might leave a little scar. must. stop. picking!!! im not sure what to put on these red marks, anyone have any ideas what i can use to fade marks while on tane that wont clog pores? and that i can get in the UK???

Im thinking i might get some biotin supplements and get started on them. im also taking zinc, starflower oil, vit e and magnesium.

heres to day 4. wooo!

day 10

its been about a week since ive posted as im trying not to get too caught up in the whole, acne, accutane, log type thing.

my skin has been so up and down. over the last weekedn i was practically clear and aside from a few red marks was doing ok.

the last couple days ive had a few iinflamed pores crop up and a couple papules. the cyst thing i had on my right jaw became active again but i think *touch wood* its on its way out. ive had a couple little things crop up around my mouth probably because of the lip balm ive been using. my lips havent been too dry but i do need to use lip balm for sure. no other side effects other than feeling really thirsty.

as of today im up to 20mg a day so we'll see how things go. im not very dry yet.

random question but does anyone know...

bright office lights, those harsh types, play havok with anyones skin? i started a new job 6 weeks ago, around when i started breaking out again, and the only thing that has changed is the environment and these friggin lights. my skin looks red quite alot of the time there so i know its a bit irritated. and that was before tane so im not attributing it to accutane.

day 12

its amazing what difference a couple of days makes on tane!!

my skin is doing much better than a couple of days ago. things are generally clearing up and i dont have any active acne right now just a few marks floating around. i had a nasty thing crop up on my neck yesterday which i squeezed and got way more out of that i was expecting. it feels flat now but im sure it will need to scab before it heals.

has anyone tried vaseline for red marks? honestly ive been shocked how well it works! just dabbing a blob on when going to bed to leave on for the night has helped fade red marks in only a couple of days. seems to be doing a better job than sudocrem which is hat i was using before.

nearly at the 2 weeks mark. no side effects so far

day 15

so passed the 2 week mark.

right now my skin isnt doing too bad. it feels a little irritated and gets red easily when i get hot or at work with the damn office lights. i have a couple of red healing marks but right now only have one active. its been hanging around for about 4 days but has definately gone down. i thought it was going to turn into a cysts but i got some ice on it early and have been using diluted tea tree oil and sudocrem. its not dead yet but i think its on its way. had a few clogged pores on my chin that i really had to extract as they were soooo obvious! i think *touch wood that i havent done any damage from doing that.

my skin and lips are definately getting dryer. my forehead seems kind of oily today for some reason.

hopefully in another 2 weeks time my skin would have adjusted a bit more to taking 20 instead of 10mg a day

here we go!

day 19

nearly at the 3 week mark since starting tane and about 2 weeks since taking 20mg a day.

my skin, as ever, has been really up and down. the start of the week was pretty good, last couple of days not so great.

right now i have 4 areas that are being a problem. 1 is flat and just recovering, i can cover it pretty easy with makeup. the cyst i had on my right jaw since forever, literally about 5 or 6 weeks, is still flat to look at but i think i can feel something in it. im not sure if it is just a bit of scar tissue maybe as i was a fool and messed about with it too much when it was active. was a total mess for a while. either that or its trying to come alive again. ive been spot treating with aspirin mask and honey for a couple of days to try and keep it from growing or getting any life back in it. damn think. i had 2 small whiteheads around my mouth, i think from all the lip balm ive been using. they were quite deep though. they arent active now just scabbing over so im covering them with sudocrem hoping to speed up the healing. i had a really irritated area during the week on the right side of my chin. i had been using clean and clear exfoliating wash i think this was a bit harsh what with accutane too, so ive layed off that the last couple days. i got some jojoba oil too after reading some great reviews but i cant for the life of me find it!

i used to use sunbeds once a week or so as it really helped fade red marks and dry my skin out a little. obviously since being on tane i havent until yesterday i tried just 4 minutes on a really low setting. i know its not a great idea and i wont be making a habit of it but it worked pretty good. didnt burn at all, my compexion is a little more even and i think it has helped on of my whitehead marks scab over.

as far as side effects just dry lips. im taking a whole load of vitamins too. im not really even that dry yet. still needing to wash my hair every day and the only places i actually need moisturiser is on my forehead and chin. im using eucerin face lotion with 5% urea, which is what i used on my first course.

i may have one more sunbed in the week just to try and blend a few redmarks before christmas as i could do without being soooo conscious about my skin then. i'll see how it goes.

day 23

hard to believe its nearly been a month already. im debating whether to increase next month to 30mg or wait it out on 20mg.

anyway, the only area that is causing me trouble now is my right jaw. the rest of my face is pretty much clear apart from a couple of marks. i have 5 healing marks, 4 from regular spots and the 1 from the cyst i had when i started. i also have this patch of irritated skin sort of under my lip on the right. ive been keeping sudocrem on it when i can to heal it up.

yesterday my skin was pretty good and i went out feeling ok about it. i was a little disappointed this morning when i saw that the rashy thing is there again and i had a couple pop up on my jaw. they were small and extracted easily but obviously everything leaves such a mark.

i didnt go tanning before as planned but i think i might go today just for a couple of minutes to try and blend these marks in a bit.

still no side effects. theres a slight decrease in oil production but i wouldnt say im dry

day 25

i did go on a sunbed a couple of days ago just for a few minutes. i looked pretty red that evening but i just stayed home and washed with cold water a few times. it has helped blend some of my red marks. overall my skin tone is starting to improve. my forehead and left cheek are completly clear. my nose is basically clear except for blackheads. on my chin i had a few red marks that are healing. i only have one active which is along my right jaw, its quite small and is probably only because i messed with what i thought was a whitehead. im just applying tea tree oil now and sudocrem overnight.

my main concern is this thing on my right jaw which has been there since before i started. im unsure right now what it is doing which is whats bothering me. its improved since a couple weeks ago but it is pink and slightly raised still but doesnt hurt at all even when i touch it. so for that i dont think there is any infection left in it. im not sure why else it would still be raised though so im worred it might be forming a scar. up until now i havent had any scars so this is really upsetting me :(

day 28 - officially one month!

well as ever with tane my first month has been a bit of a rollercoaster. right now, my skin is noticeably better than when i started on day 1. i had some pretty sizeable cysts then, was an oil slick, and lots of clogged pores etc. i dont have any active acne at the moment, just red marks from previous breakouts. considering it is that time of the month for me its pretty great. having said that, it has only been 2 days that this has been the case, i had a couple pop up on friday just i was able to extract them pretty well. side effects are mild, my lips are a little dry but im only using chapstick 2-3 times a day, my hair is a bit drier but only to the point of not being oily every morning, and i have had a little nose bleed when blowing my nose. thats it. i might go one more week at 20mg then increase to 25 or 30. my derm is soooo laid back and said i could have started on 40mg but i was hesitant about the IB so i know increasing month 2 wont be a problem there. just a bit wary about an IB with increasing the dose.

i hope month 2 is a good month and i continue to improve! will post some pics soon

day 35 - 5 weeks

today marks the end of week 5. during this week i had a few problems with severe facial redness and flushing, something which i do get on and off anyway, but i decided to just take 10mg for a couple of days due to the possibility of accutane induced rosacea. ive read, rightly or wrongly, that persistent flushing can damage the blood vessels which leads to a more permanent effect which i obviously want to avoid. accutane is actually used as a treatment for rosacea in small doses, typically 10mg a day, over a longer period of time. i think the odd sunbed really wasnt helping so ive decided to avoid that from now on. it did help some with covering red marks but the possibility of long term damage isnt worth it. my derm is away until mid jan so until then when i see him i will continue to take 10mg a day, well 20mg every other day as thats the only pills i have, and see how things go. im clear of active acne right now. i havent had anything significant pop up for a week or so maybe even a little longer, just small whiteheads and things. i have a couple of tiny red marks on the left side of my jaw, 3 fading/healing marks on my right jaw which im keeping a thing layer of sudocrem on hoping the zinc opxide will speed things along. i lso have a tiny whitehead further along my right jaw that is hanging around under the skin. im leaving it be and just using a bit of tea tree oil to spot treat. i also switched moisturiser, i think the eucerin was making my skin more red, im now trying simple light moisturiser and like it so far. my skin isnt oily any more but its not really dry either. my derm wanted to up my dose to 40mg a day soon but i really debating whether to go for a regular course or a much longer term lower dose course like 10mg a day for a year or so. i guess i can talk things through with my derm when i see him

heres to week 6.

Sounds like it's going pretty well, always a bonus when there's not a lot going on in terms of actives because it allows you to see what's going on without getting distracted by new stuff popping up. Here's hoping that continues. Oh, and make sure you stay away from those sunbeds! ;)

day 41 - just about to start week 7

its been about a week since i started ahving real concerns about flushing and i have only taken 60mg in the last 7 days or so, so a little under 10mg a day. i havent had a real bad 'flushing episode' since wednesday night and that was after a game of badminton and a hot shower which im sure contributed to it. i actually started having trouble with flushig before beginning this course of accutane, after starting at a new place at work which is insanely hot and stuffy in an office, which is also when my acne relapsed. im still at this place and will be for another 5 weeks, so i guess if i could work it out till then i can see if things settle down. at the weekends when im not at work i still look a little red, but im not actually flushing. and i know alot of people look a little red during a course of accutane.

at this low dose i havent had any side effects, my lips are slightly dry the following day after taking a tablet thats it. i had one small thing on my chin, not really a spot even just a trapped hair that i picked. thats one thing that is a bit odd, i seem to be getting an odd few hairs on my chin....? whats that all about. aside from that nothing active which im v pleased about. the blackheads on my nose have completly gone and my skin feels smooth. the new moisturiser is much better than the eucerin i was using too