Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mikee08

It's Really Not Hard.

I've had acne for about 4 years and when I first noticed my face was getting a lot of acne, something needed to be done. So I did my own research and the second I read this phrase "PIcking your acne will only make it worse" I haven't picked since then, ever. I just don't get why people pick, I see it all the time with people picking away at their skin...Likee jesusss don't pickk! It will make it worsee.

Basically if you read the above phrase and still pick at your skin, you are simply crazy.

Happy PIcking,

Mike

I try to keep that in mind all the time, and it helped curb it as far as an addictive sort of habit. There's a lot going on in a picker's mind however, and it's not as simple for some people. http://grossbart.com/SkinDeep.pdf This book in particular really helped me to treat the mental aspect of acne, which was fueling a decent portion of my acne, like a never ending cycle.

Hmm I skimmed through that, I may have to read it haha but yeah i guess your right "its not as simple for some people" Maybe because im the type of person that can quit things easy like say if I started smoking for many years I would be able to quit cold turkey.

I try to keep that in mind all the time, and it helped curb it as far as an addictive sort of habit. There's a lot going on in a picker's mind however, and it's not as simple for some people. http://grossbart.com/SkinDeep.pdf This book in particular really helped me to treat the mental aspect of acne, which was fueling a decent portion of my acne, like a never ending cycle.

Edited by mikee08

It blows my mind daily! Glad you're enjoying it. It's complicated and simple at the same time I feel like. Sometimes just affirming oneself is enough, while others need the help of a professional therapist like Grossbart himself. I know that I'm more likely to pick if I'm stressed out, and of course keeping a good regimen helps a bunch. Having things to do to take my mind off my skin when picking was a real problem, as well as avoiding mirrors or closed doors helped too. It was hard at first, but I feel like there's a definite disconnect between the person I am today and the picker prone guy of yesterday :lol:

...so basically you just started this topic to make people feel bad (and rub it in their faces) for picking when they (yes they, not you) really can't help it?

I'm not even a picker (at all) and still I think you're coming off like (whether intentionally or not) kind of a jerk here.

Agree with hotburrito, why would you want to go to the section of the board where those of us who do have issues with skin picking talk about those issues and offend us by calling us crazy?

If you meant to share your experience of how you quit picking - fine, that's a really good thing to do and what this board is here for. But there's no point in being rude in that same post. I'm very happy that you have had no issues with skin picking, and I hope you will not in the future but again, please don't post here if what you want is to make fun of the situation we're in.

picking is habit. and its hard to stop. i always have tried to stop, but i cant. I do it when im bored, stressed, etc. but believe me its not easy to stop at all

This would be a bit like me telling a group of smokers that it’s easy to give up. As someone who has never smoked, I would have no right to do that as I wouldn’t know what I’m talking about.

I’ve picked for thirteen years and I am fully aware that it is a bad idea. I am also fully aware of the consequences and why I should always try my best to stop or at least minimise picking. I am also aware of the things I can do in order to break the habit, but it doesn’t mean it automatically becomes easy to do so. We all know the score but it doesn’t mean we can all instantly stop something which will have initially served a purpose prior to trapping us.

For many people, the act of picking goes much deeper than the presence of acne alone. Personally, it’s all about the emotions I experience and the feelings I have as a direct result of suffering with acne and as a result of how I have struggled to cope with it. Those negative feelings manifest themselves in a negative way and I take it out on my skin.. Of course, picking prolongs the acne which only serves to create a vicious cycle. With that in mind, I would challenge anyone to go away, unwittingly become trapped in such a cycle for several years, then come back and tell me whether they still think it’s easy to break that habit