Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HelloLovve

Help! Esp. If You Live Down South

Hey Everyone!! I'm moving to Florida next month (from New York) and I'm freaking out about what Florida weather is going to do to my skin. After 12 years I've finally gotten my skin under control and now I'm worried the humidity is going to wreak havoc.

Any tips on what you do to keep the sweat/breakouts away?

Thanks for the help.

I moved down to florida from the North about 15 years ago and one of the things I had to change was from wearing liquid foundation to powder foundation because of the humidity. Also some good blotting papers will help keep your skin fresh and dry.

A major plus about living here is that your nails and lips will be in great condition because of the higher humidity and you won't have to use as much moisturizer.

Don't worry too much about your skin --you will love it in Florida -- you can play outside all year long and there are so many beautiful sunny days to keep you happy.

Thanks for the info sflamom and Cotton Candi. My nails are already breaking from the cold weather here in NY so I'm glad they'll improve when I move :)

Do you think the spf that is in moisturizer/powder foundation is enough for my face or should I include a sunscreen as well? I'm nervous to be putting so much "stuff" on my face. Thanks again :)

The spf (15 or 30) in the moisturizer should be ok for everyday (school, work, errands), but if you are going to the beach or going somewhere where you will be out in the sun for more than 30 minutes at a time (especially March thru October), you might want to wear a water proof or resistant sunscreen instead of the mousturizer of 30 or 45. I hear alot of good things about Elta MD UV Clear SPF. You only need a special sunscreen on the areas of your body prone to acne (face, chest maybe) and the rest of your body you can use something less expensive like NoAd45Sunscreen (cheap at Target and gets great reviews from consumer reports).

I also sunforgettable sunscreen (powder sunscreen) on my face sometimes to give me some extra protection and cut down on the shine. You can get that on the web.

Keep in mind that I went without sunscreen for a long, long time because I have olive skin. But I don't recommend that because my face has age spots because of it and hyperpigmentation. So sunscreen is a very good idea.