Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My battle with foundation is ridiculous. I don't even want to think about all the money I've thrown away on foundation that doesn't work! I've tried everything from high end to drugstore and inbetween. Liquids, powders, creams (curse the Sephora artist to sold me cream foundation!). The only tolerable ones I've tried so far are The Balm "Balm Shell" Tinted Moisturizer and Clinique Acne solutions. Also, when I apply powder...I look cakey like crazy. I sit there buffing it out for a good 5 minutes lol. My main problems with my foundations are:

-Color, color, color. My color is so weird! I've been to Sephora, Ulta, Departments stores...you name it...trying to get matched. Nothing matches! My body is much tanner than my face...my face is quite light (enough to wear "fair" toned foundations) but I have a "yellow" tint to my skin! It's beyond frustrating that no one can match my skin tone, which is essential to my main goal: covering my red marks!

-My make up slips like crazy. My make up simply doesn't last through the day. By the end of the school day (4 pm) it's as if all my make up slipped off! I know some people swear by primer, specifically Smashbox primer...but it seems to make it worse. :/ Could oily skin be the main culprit?

-Blending. I think this has more to do with my method of applying it...I probably have no idea what I'm doing. So ANY help would be useful. (:

Basically, I just want to look fresh and have my make up match. Doesn't every girl? Going without make up simply isn't an option unfortunately; that'd be a nightmare. Currently, I only wear foundation, powder, mascara and occasionally blush (which I'm having problems with as well, ugh) because it's quick and I don't really need the extra and I'm 15. Tell me what I'm doing wrong!

Thank you!

Bump. Someone help, please. :/ I also wanted to add, I've tried BB creams, but I'm open to some suggestions on that matter. The color of BB creams are horrible for me, but it helped with my skin!

Hey there, I'm a little tired to reply but I'll be posting in the near future for sure - and it'll probably be lengthy, too. Just wanted to let you know so you wouldn't feel ignored!

Finding a good match and applying it well can definitely be a pain in the neck :(

Hey there, I'm a little tired to reply but I'll be posting in the near future for sure - and it'll probably be lengthy, too. Just wanted to let you know so you wouldn't feel ignored!

Finding a good match and applying it well can definitely be a pain in the neck :(

Alright, thank you so much. Looking forward to your reply! (:

hello! I am going to offer up some possibilities, and ask you a couple questions that may help me help you, if thats alright.

First, I don't know what products you use on your face prior to application- are you using a moisturizer? Sometimes, ingredients left on the skin from products or even soap don't mix well with our foundation choice and can cause pilling,gumminess and major slip. Also if you r using a prescription gel or lotion at night or b4 makeup can affect it too.

If your skin is not dry, a mattifying primer may work well for you, but you should def not use much and allow it some time to settle on your skin b4 applying your foundation.

As far as color.. hard to tell from your photo exactly, but I am guessing you have olive undertones, as you said yellow.Pink based foundations will turn orange on you for sure, (red +yellow= orange) Some brands that cater well that I know of for yellow undertones are Laura Mercier, Bobbi Brown, and Lancome. While Estee Lauder has olive undertones in their line, I have personally found them to be rather pink to neutral, but I am sure other people have varying opinions.MAC also has yellow ranges, and while alot of people swear by them, I find they oxidize heavily. You can pick up samples of any or all of these at any mall. If you go to any of their websites, you can use the search tool to find a counter near you. You have to ask for a sample, and tell them that you want to check it out in daylight, not mall light! ALWAYS check your makeup in natural daylight! you will be surprised!

I don't know what kind of coverage you are looking for,though. Once I know, I can better specify which product in which line

may work best for you. Let me know when you can.

hello! I am going to offer up some possibilities, and ask you a couple questions that may help me help you, if thats alright.

First, I don't know what products you use on your face prior to application- are you using a moisturizer? Sometimes, ingredients left on the skin from products or even soap don't mix well with our foundation choice and can cause pilling,gumminess and major slip. Also if you r using a prescription gel or lotion at night or b4 makeup can affect it too.

If your skin is not dry, a mattifying primer may work well for you, but you should def not use much and allow it some time to settle on your skin b4 applying your foundation.

As far as color.. hard to tell from your photo exactly, but I am guessing you have olive undertones, as you said yellow.Pink based foundations will turn orange on you for sure, (red +yellow= orange) Some brands that cater well that I know of for yellow undertones are Laura Mercier, Bobbi Brown, and Lancome. While Estee Lauder has olive undertones in their line, I have personally found them to be rather pink to neutral, but I am sure other people have varying opinions.MAC also has yellow ranges, and while alot of people swear by them, I find they oxidize heavily. You can pick up samples of any or all of these at any mall. If you go to any of their websites, you can use the search tool to find a counter near you. You have to ask for a sample, and tell them that you want to check it out in daylight, not mall light! ALWAYS check your makeup in natural daylight! you will be surprised!

I don't know what kind of coverage you are looking for,though. Once I know, I can better specify which product in which line

may work best for you. Let me know when you can.

Thanks for the advice! I do wear moisturizer everyday before I put on make up, and I don't typically wear any topical medication throughout the day. I'm looking for probably medium coverage, strictly for covering the hyperpigmentation, as I have my acne under control most of the time (skin just got better over the past two days! phew.).

Have you tried Korres? There is a definite yellow undertone to their foundations and they go on soooo smooth and beautiful.

I haven't, I'll look into that, thanks!

Hey I have the same problem my color is in the yellow/ light side so its a major mission to find a foundation that doesn't oxidize or melt of. I try to get a shade lighter because of these reason. MAC was good to me when my skin was clear I was NC35 they have a good variety of yellow tones but it horrible for us acne prone skin. It was a culprit in my clogged pores start using mac December last yr and I didn't have a problem with it in the begin. I still every no and then for when I am going clubbing use it but there free samples and the concealer pro long wear. everyday minerals also has a good selection but haven't been using it long enough to give u my honest option. before purchasing anything get a free sample sephora, MAC, estee lauder are awesome with giving u free samples. I also love there exchange policys because u can always return them even if u have had for a long time. As for controlling the oil I like Dr.murad oil control lotion from sephora and oil blotting sheets. Good luck :)

Hey I have the same problem my color is in the yellow/ light side so its a major mission to find a foundation that doesn't oxidize or melt of. I try to get a shade lighter because of these reason. MAC was good to me when my skin was clear I was NC35 they have a good variety of yellow tones but it horrible for us acne prone skin. It was a culprit in my clogged pores start using mac December last yr and I didn't have a problem with it in the begin. I still every no and then for when I am going clubbing use it but there free samples and the concealer pro long wear. everyday minerals also has a good selection but haven't been using it long enough to give u my honest option. before purchasing anything get a free sample sephora, MAC, estee lauder are awesome with giving u free samples. I also love there exchange policys because u can always return them even if u have had for a long time. As for controlling the oil I like Dr.murad oil control lotion from sephora and oil blotting sheets. Good luck smile.png

Thanks! Going to check out Estee Lauder this weekend....thinking of trying out Dior too. (Anyone tried Dior cosmetics before? Price is no issue if it works!) I also will see about that Oil control lotion...as for blotting sheets, love them, but haven't used them since I've been wearing makeup...doesn't it come off? Also, I didn't know about the exchange policies! Big help! :P

tell me how the estee lauder goes Im thinking of getting a free sample from them im running low on mineral make up lol and the make up does not come off with the blotting sheets I notice it lasts long for me When I use them because my face isnt crazy oily!

Edited by gems2889

Hey I have the same problem my color is in the yellow/ light side so its a major mission to find a foundation that doesn't oxidize or melt of. I try to get a shade lighter because of these reason. MAC was good to me when my skin was clear I was NC35 they have a good variety of yellow tones but it horrible for us acne prone skin. It was a culprit in my clogged pores start using mac December last yr and I didn't have a problem with it in the begin. I still every no and then for when I am going clubbing use it but there free samples and the concealer pro long wear. everyday minerals also has a good selection but haven't been using it long enough to give u my honest option. before purchasing anything get a free sample sephora, MAC, estee lauder are awesome with giving u free samples. I also love there exchange policys because u can always return them even if u have had for a long time. As for controlling the oil I like Dr.murad oil control lotion from sephora and oil blotting sheets. Good luck :)

MAC foundations are the devil! I've had 4 different makeup artist tell me about how MAC is notorious for causing/aggravating acne. And just switching to benefit improved my skin dramatically. Even their blush makes me breakout.

You can try blending different shades of foundation to match your skin tone. I have a yellow undertone too and use Dior's Capture Totale Foundation in Ivory 10 and Linen 21. And yes, oily skin will definitely cause foundation to slip! What powder are you using? That could be part of the problem.

Edited by alexaaa

lola yeah I know I put some on this weekend and I broke out a lil :( I havent found something that cover so well.

Have you tried Dermablend? It's allegedly non-acnegenic.

no I haven't I have tried cover fx but not the foundation which is like dermablend.

Ok how about this. Forgo the full coverage foundation for a sheer to medium coverage foundation and a yellow based setting powder?

I highly recommend Palladio Wet/Dry foundation from Sally Beauty. You may not get the perfect match... I didn't. I have slight olive undertones... maybe yellow too.... so the Laurel Beige isn't perfect but it's what I use because I can't find anything I like better. Mineral makeup (Everyday Minerals and Monave Minerals) are good for perfect matches... but I prefer pressed foundation for it's convenience. Palladio covers well. I have super oily skin and nothing stops the oil breakthough an hour after application. I use blotting sheets and powder all day... every hour or so. Sorry... I've tried Monistat Chafing cream as a concealer when I'm desperate, but I think it makes me break out. NOthing stops my oil. Nothing. I've gotten used to blotting and powdering to maintain a fresh/matte face. Palladio makes a blotting sheet with rice powder on one side. If I cannot carry my powder, I fold a sheet in a put it in my pocket.

Okay, so I tried a little sample of the Estee Lauder Long Wear foundation (stingy sample she gave me! also not the right color...) and it broke me out really bad on the top of my left cheek and bottom of my right! ): I haven't checked out Dior yet, though...

You can try blending different shades of foundation to match your skin tone. I have a yellow undertone too and use Dior's Capture Totale Foundation in Ivory 10 and Linen 21. And yes, oily skin will definitely cause foundation to slip! What powder are you using? That could be part of the problem.

Try Boots No.7. I use stay perfect. It has nice olive undertones and it doesn't break me out. However, I don't use foundation on a daily basis. I set with NYC translucent powder in Warm Beige. It's worked very well for me! Paula's Choice has a review on this powder (and the boots foundation too, as a matter of fact) it doesn't break me out, and it doesn't look caky. MUFE HD foundation is great too, but more expensive. It feels weightless, but I'd definitely say Boots is comparable. You can find it at target.

Edited by skinnie