Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Em2386

Septra With Spiro (And The Dreaded Initial Breakout)

Hi everyone, I'm new to posting on these boards, though I've been reading them for years and consistently refer back to them when considering new acne treatments.

I've dealt with acne since early high school. Unfortunately, the first dermatologist I ever visited prescribed me antibiotics (along with a topical, all of which have been fairly ineffective over the years), which I've been relying on now, on and off, for years. I'm now almost 26.

Recently a new dermatologist I started seeing said she thinks I have PCOS. After reading up on it, I think she might be on to something -- I have all the symptoms -- and so am going to get an ultrasound in a few weeks.

When I spoke with her (my new derm) a few weeks ago, she really pushed Accutane on me as a final solution to my acne. She wants me off antibiotics as much as I do. However, I'm increasingly interested in Spiro, especially given this new information on PCOS. I've always felt my acne to be hormonally-based and truthfully, knowing my body, I don't believe Accutane would cure me of anything permanently. So I plan to talk with her about getting a prescription soon.

Now, the reason for my post! I've read dozens of back-posts at this point about Spiro and keep coming across comments about the horrible initial breakouts many people seem to suffer through. This is pretty nerve-wracking for me, especially since it's the holidays and I'm also about to take a big trip in January. Not to mention every pimple I get leaves a red mark on my fair skin. :\

Bactrim has done a great job of clearing up my skin so far. I've been on it 4 months. However, it doesn't do much to prevent smaller pimples from forming as a result of things coming in contact with my skin -- oil from food, hair from my boyfriend's beard, etc.

What I'm wondering is, if I start Spiro is it likely that Bactrim will be effective in preventing any IB that might take place? I hear a lot about women experiencing IBs on birth control, but spoke with my sister about it (who's been on a couple different kinds of BC) and she said she never experienced any kind of breakout -- but was on antibiotics for acne both times. Now she relies solely on BC to control her acne.

Any feedback you all might be able to give me on this would be hugely helpful. I'll likely get a prescription this week and am going back and forth on whether or not I should take it. I think it will help, but I'm scared of the rumored breakout. I need some guidance.

Many thanks in advance :)

i think it would probably depend on what dose ur taking,im on a really small dose 50mg and i didn't experience an initial breakout it just increasingly got better.If your gonna be on 100mgs or higher then i would say its more likely. Also are you on a bc? spiro can real mess up your periods if your not, iv had no trouble so far with periods at all but iv been on bc for yrs.

for you to see the 'good' part of spiro working it usually takes about two months so for the first 2 months u r probably gonna be the same skin wise UNLESS ur more prone to initial breakouts.

its kinda a 50/50 i don't think bacturim would be as helpful becuase a hormonal breakout caused by spiro is usually deeper acne :/

hopefully someone on a higher dose will be more helpful lol this is just kinda my little input smile.png

oh yeah i just wanted to let you know i was on accutane, and while i was on it,it immediatly started working and my face was flawless....then after i came off it. it all came right back it was sorta like false hope lol i wish i didn't do it and tried spiro or something hormonal in the first place.

Edited by poppinpoprocks

Quick update -- actually saw my derm today and she put me on 50mg once a day. I keep hearing that most women don't see results at anything less than 100mg, but I'm fairly small -- 5'4 and about 104lbs -- so I'm wondering if 50mg sounds about right for someone my size?

I was put on 50 mgs and I'm 5'7 and around 125 lbs. While I didn't see significant improvement while I was on it, I also didn't feel I had a bad IB or anything. i don't even remember it being very bad at all. If I had any IB from spiro, it was nothing compared to the tretinoin IB. Hope it works for you.

im on 50mgs and am 5'4 100 pounds as well and it completely got rid of my cystic acne as well as improving my acne overall its my favorite thing out of any med, topical or bc iv tried if ur acne is pretty mild/moderate as in not getting the cystic or giant type it should really clear up ur acne on that dose the key is patience though. like don't expect to have the same results as quckily as someone on 100mg but if u wait long enough u should be clear at the 4th or 5th month

Thanks for the responses rolleyes.gif My acne is definitely more moderate, not cystic, and always centered around my mouth, jawline and occasionally neck. I think in the past 25 years I've had a serious pimple on my forehead maybe three or four times, and only occasionally get them on my cheek or nose. Going to start taking Spiro tomorrow and am hoping there's no IB and that this turns out to be a long-term solution. Nothing would make me happier than giving up antibiotics for good...