Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shimmor

Dry Skin, Flakes, Cold Winters

So I have been on the regimen since July and so glad my skin is clear! I have yet to find a full proof answer for my dry skin though. Before I was on the regimen I never washed my face, ever. My face NEVER got dry, not even in the winter. I've always sort of had an oily face though, not bad though. But ever since I've been on the regimen my face gets dry after swimming, after showers ( I understand how the water temperature effects my skin but has never effected it until now ), and now that it's cold and winter is here, I always wake up with dry, flaky cheeks. If I lay on my back, not on my face, I will wake up with pretty fair skin, but as soon as i make some facial movements or eat, here we go again. I also use jojoba oil and it helps, a bit, but as the day progresses it just gets worse. I don't want to stop the regimen because my acne will come back, I know it. I've been washing my face twice a day, every day. I was wondering if maybe I cut down to washing my face once a day, the dryness will finally subdue. I'm still lost and looking for help, and advice would be surely appreciated =].

Washing isn't the issue that you are being faced with, it is the BP. It causes the dryness that you describe. I wont get into the science of things, but I can offer some tips that have helped me.

Trick One: Apply your moisturizer in two steps. One pump with 2 drops of Jojoba Oil, then wait 5 minutes. Apply another pump of moisturizer and then your done. The reason behind this is to let the moisturizer absorb into the skin as much as it can. It also cuts down on the time that it takes to do step three in the regimen, saving time and the un-needed time that you are touching your face.

Trick Two: When you apply your moisturizer try making faces. Smile really big, yawn or even puff your cheeks out. This will stretch the skin to get the moisture into the trouble spots.

Trick Three: This isn't a real trick, just more of a reminder. DRINK WATER!!! I know that a lot of people say this, but it's very true. It's going to help out a ton if you hydrate from the inside to see the effects on the outside.

Trick Four: Apply a nice SPF. SPF have a lot of moisturizers in them and will help with dryness. There is one by Olay that a lot of people like on this site that works well with the Regimen. Personally, I like the Murad Mattifer with 15 SPF. I have oily skin and it helps me to stay mat all day long.

That's pretty much all I have from personal experience with this topic. In the end you can do what Dan recommends on the site and that is to just apply more moisturizer to your skin. Three pumps instead of the two. Hope this helps you a little man. Good Luck!

p.s...when you go swimming and take these showers. Make sure you apply moisturizer when you are done. If it's time for you to do your regular regimen then cool, do that. But if it's a mid-day shower or swim, then afterwards just pat dry and apply some moisturizer. I personally go swimming twice a week and it's mid-day. One pump of moisturizer seems to do the trick for me.

p.p.s...as far as the waking up with the dryness, it's normal. Not much that you can do about that one. I wake up, workout then shower and do my regimen. So it's not like anyone really sees me with the dryness or anything. lol.

Nice job on getting clear, I think Chococrit has given a really good answer for dryness/flakiness

Trick Two: When you apply your moisturizer try making faces. Smile really big, yawn or even puff your cheeks out. This will stretch the skin to get the moisture into the trouble spots.