Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey guys,

I've been using Paula's Choice 2% BHA liquid for about a week now. Started off 1x/day, at night, but for the past three days have been doing 2x/day, morning and night. I've also been using a homemade toner of Dickinson's Witch Hazel+about 5-6% pure tea tree oil before applying the BHA. I have not been moisturizing, because I have suspected my moisturizer to be clogging pores, and so I tried jojoba oil, which I suspect may be giving me tiny red microzits. So I haven't been moisturizing now for about three weeks, and my skin really isn't dry at all.

My question is - I use the toner because I've always used an astringent with witch hazel and even high alcohol content, and it never hurt my skin before, so I figured the witch hazel can't hurt too much... which it doesn't seem to be. I added a little tea tree oil just because I adore it and for extra antisepsis. But I keep reading that witch hazel is "bad" for the skin, so I'm just wondering if I'm putting too much stress on my skin by applying it 2x/day followed by BHA. Again, the combo doesn't seem to be drying really at all, but what do you guys think? I want to keep some antiseptic properties (I've been experiencing some inflammatory acne lately) which is why I'm hesitant to quit and to just use the BHA. Could I make a little mixture of BHA with 5-6% TTO? Or does anyone have any other suggestions? I'm open to product suggestions, but I changed my regimen like 10 times in the past 2 months and my skin struck back with the most nasty cyst I've ever seen in my life, so I'm really just looking for opinions on the witch hazel+TTO+BHA thing. Thanks!