Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FSAS

Can Other Inflammatory Conditions In The Body Cause Acne?

I have TMJ which is Temporomandibular joint disorder (basically pain, uneven jaw, grinds/cracks etc) I also tense my jaw a lot unwillingly and grind my teeth at night apparently. This has given me lots of problems this year (the reason why i used to use a lot of strong painkillers) but either way the muscles surrounding my jaw are basically inflamed, they have to be, or I wouldn't have this issues the dentist said ..etc

anyways im wondering, as im always in a constant state of inflammation , could that make my acne worse? meaning my body is inflamed and therefore making my acne worse as it's related to inflammation too?

FSAS, this is very interesting. I've been grinding my teeth for years. I've asked several doctors about this, and none has ever mentioned TMJ. Would you be willing to elaborate more on your condition and your reasoning why you think it's linked to acne?

In my case, I grind my teeth almost every night. On occasion, my jaw will be sore the next day, causing slight discomfort when eating and inflammation in my temples (weird, I know). I've also noticed subconscious jaw-tensing during the day.

It would be great to figure out how to beat this!

If the conditions exist for internal inflammation in a localized area, they probably exist elsewhere. If it's external inflammation (such as you'd get from repeatedly scratching yourself in one spot) it's probably not going to affect your acne at all,

Yeah, definitely. I've been reading a lot about chronic inflammatory disorders in the body and I'm sure I have chronic inflammation, because I also have eczema/dermmatitis, which is another symptom of chronic inflammation along with acne. I try to eat an anti-inflammatory diet to counteract it... especially trying to focus on eating lots of Omega-3 rich foods.

FSAS, this is very interesting. I've been grinding my teeth for years. I've asked several doctors about this, and none has ever mentioned TMJ. Would you be willing to elaborate more on your condition and your reasoning why you think it's linked to acne?

In my case, I grind my teeth almost every night. On occasion, my jaw will be sore the next day, causing slight discomfort when eating and inflammation in my temples (weird, I know). I've also noticed subconscious jaw-tensing during the day.

have you been to the dentist, grinding teeth can be a very huge problem for your teeths health and your jaw. its important people who grind their teeth invest in a splint (which i have but rarely wear because i swear its not fitted properly but i also find when im wearing it my jaw automatically wants to tense and i never get a good nights rest). anyway you may have tmj if you have pain in your jaw? or if your jaw clicks a lot ? i feel my issues flares up when i get really stressed out and although i cant see the inflammation depending if i dont drink enough water or get enough sleep sometimes my eye will droop or my whole face feel puffy and my jaw seems crooked. i was just curious if it could make my acne worse as i will always have this issue with my jaw and thought maybe because i have this issues no matter what i do my body will constantly be in a state of being inflamed which in turn might be keeping my acne quite stubborn :/ im really not sure, im focusing on my diet right now...

jesus.. hunny you are one banged up little lady. I would say this is all due to some serious, serious systemic inflammation.. probably cusping on an autoimmune condition. You may have crohns, ulcerative colitis, or IBD and I would suggest getting off all meds and see a doctor about getting a GI scope, lower and upper.

EDIT: I think right now you need to just stop the vicious cycle of stress. Retract your emotions and just accept the fact that you are very sick. Stop worrying about diet so much.. as in your present shape I dont think much will help. What you need to do is get some serious nutrition into your body and a variety of it. Avoid wheat/beans/legumes/vegetalbe oil but consume everything else and eat many small meals a day as you possilbe can. Try and reconnect with family to help you through this.

Good luck!

Edited by moonbase

I have TMJ which is Temporomandibular joint disorder (basically pain, uneven jaw, grinds/cracks etc) I also tense my jaw a lot unwillingly and grind my teeth at night apparently. This has given me lots of problems this year (the reason why i used to use a lot of strong painkillers) but either way the muscles surrounding my jaw are basically inflamed, they have to be, or I wouldn't have this issues the dentist said ..etc

anyways im wondering, as im always in a constant state of inflammation , could that make my acne worse? meaning my body is inflamed and therefore making my acne worse as it's related to inflammation too?

Inflammation is inflammation, there is something going on in your body that is causing a host of problems. TMJ can be related to worms/parasitic infections. The answer to this an all your issues is to heal your gut. Here is info on TMJ related to parasitic infections............. http://proliberty.com/observer/20000106.htm

http://www.elevatede...com/blog/?p=486 Following the diet I referred to before will also help any parasitic/bacterial overgrowth.

Edited by myheartsholistic

have you been to the dentist, grinding teeth can be a very huge problem for your teeths health and your jaw. its important people who grind their teeth invest in a splint (which i have but rarely wear because i swear its not fitted properly but i also find when im wearing it my jaw automatically wants to tense and i never get a good nights rest). anyway you may have tmj if you have pain in your jaw? or if your jaw clicks a lot ? i feel my issues flares up when i get really stressed out and although i cant see the inflammation depending if i dont drink enough water or get enough sleep sometimes my eye will droop or my whole face feel puffy and my jaw seems crooked. i was just curious if it could make my acne worse as i will always have this issue with my jaw and thought maybe because i have this issues no matter what i do my body will constantly be in a state of being inflamed which in turn might be keeping my acne quite stubborn :/ im really not sure, im focusing on my diet right now...

Okay, thanks a lot for the info. My jaw doesn't click a lot, but it does enough to cause concern. A while ago my current dentist refitted by retainer so that my teeth don't touch each other when I wear it. However, it's uncomfortable to wear and like you said, it interferes with sleep.

I actually asked two dentists about my teeth grinding. The first just sort of laughed it off and told me I must be stressed. Of course, this wasn't helpful. The second mentioned something about not having to worry about it because I could just get caps later. This wasn't helpful either. I'm not quite sure who I could ask for serious advice.

jesus.. hunny you are one banged up little lady. I would say this is all due to some serious, serious systemic inflammation.. probably cusping on an autoimmune condition. You may have crohns, ulcerative colitis, or IBD and I would suggest getting off all meds and see a doctor about getting a GI scope, lower and upper.

EDIT: I think right now you need to just stop the vicious cycle of stress. Retract your emotions and just accept the fact that you are very sick. Stop worrying about diet so much.. as in your present shape I dont think much will help. What you need to do is get some serious nutrition into your body and a variety of it. Avoid wheat/beans/legumes/vegetalbe oil but consume everything else and eat many small meals a day as you possilbe can. Try and reconnect with family to help you through this.

Good luck!

I don't know if that's a joke...

I highly doubt you have anything that moonbase said could be the reason for your TMJ. TMJ is caused by things like grinding teeth or trauma to the actual jaw.

My best advice would be to see a chiropractor. He/she could definitely help you with something like that.

You say it worsens when you're stressed? Is that because you clench or grind your teeth when you're stressed?

If so, I'd say work on the stress. Take away the stress, take away the grinding teeth.

I'm no doctor, but nov2011 sounds right here. How did you reach your conclusion moonbase? Not saying you're wrong, just curious.

People that have sensitivity to Gluten/Lectin have systemic inflammation (without having Celiacs Disease). The inflammation can appear anywhere, as anything, and affect multible areas. Avoiding Wheat, Soy, Barley, White Potatos, & Peas (the last 2 are high in Lectin) is a great way to start to see if that is what is causing it.

Interesting. I have severe TMJ myself (my face is actually a little disfigured from it, my jaw joint wore away on one side so much that my jaw hangs to the left).

Mine came from a blow to the face at age 10 though.... it knocked my jaw out of place and it began grinding and clicking which got worse and worse until it began becoming dislocated all the time. This isn't a condition I'd wish on anyone, I can't even open my mouth wide or my jaw unhinges and locks out of place... it's horrible. Try and get it under control before it gets as bad as mine is...