Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hotburrito

Things To Be Thankful For

In the spirit of American Thanksgiving (even though I'm technically not American), I thought I'd open up this post. I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the lounge at first, but I figured that perhaps it helps to remind yourself of what you have to be grateful for, especially when you're having a particularly low day because of your acne... so I ended up posting here.

Things I'm thankful for:

1. My family. These days especially I've been almost unbearable to be around, but my parents have always supported me through thick and thin. All my extended relatives are basically wonderful as well, so I'm thankful that everybody puts up with me as much as they do.

2. My friends. I'm lucky enough to have good friends from all around the world. Even though I haven't exactly been at my social best lately, my friends have always been there not only to listen to me when I need to talk, but also respect my decision to keep my silence whenever I don't.

3. Wealth (sort of). My family certainly isn't rich, but at the same time we've never really needed to worry about money or anything like that. Following the Occupy Wallstreet news has really forced me to examine my privilege and conclude that I'm very lucky indeed in comparison to a lot of people even in the so-called "affluent parts" of the world.

4. Health. Aside from my acne, I don't really have any actual health issues so thank god for that. On that note, I guess I'm also relieved that even though I have acne now, I've only had it for three months so far instead of the years and years like many other people. I'm glad that even though acne might ruin my early to mid twenties, it never plagued me during my teens.

5. Education. I've received a very good education, once again thanks to my parents who always looked around for the best schools for me to attend, and thanks to the teachers who've inspired and encouraged me throughout the years.

6. My body! After years and years of self-loathing and disordered eating, I've finally come to a place where I no longer hate myself for not being able to fit into a size 2. I like my boobs and my hourglass figure and even my not-so-small thighs.

7. My job. I admittedly don't work at the most eventful place, but I'm fortunate to a) have a job to begin with, b) have a job working for a pretty big/high-end company, and c) have a job where I get paid for basically doing nothing all day. That, and I've never been denied a single day off, and I have taken a LOT of days off since I started working here... plus my coworkers/supervisors are all pretty chill people.

There are more of course, but these are the first things that pop into my mind and I feel better just typing them out. Anybody else want to give this a try?

Edited by hotburrito

I had a similar discussion with with a group of people yesterday, the question being, "What do you value most in life?" It's kind of strange, it's something I've never really thought about and I had to put a bit of effort into it. One thing I did realise is that the things I should perhaps value the most - family, friends and health, for example - have all suffered for many years as a result of my response and my approach towards my skin. That is to say, they suffered in terms of what I put into them and also whether or not I appreciated what I was offered in return.

I've never really felt like I fit with my family, I've felt sort of on the outside of it for a long time. Pretty sure it's related to my lack of self esteem and all so I guess it's something I can work on. And with the friendships, that's something I place no value upon at all because I don't have any to consider. I think if I walked around feeling as though it would be very important, I'd always feel like I was missing out. If I ignore the whole concept, as it were, it doesn't feel so bad. If I did have friends to spend time with though, I'm sure they'd be high up the list.

I probably have let my health suffer or I've neglected myself because of depression and things like that, and generally just not feeling like I was of any great value to anyway so it wasn't especially worth taking care of myself. In that respect, I need to learn to value is myself.

I'm most thankful for the ability to be creative and open-minded. Creativity and the hobbies I have are what allow me to express myself and they're the building blocks for my identity and personality. Having something to enjoy and something you're good at, I feel, is the basis and reason for a person to have confidence and belief in themselves.

:)

I'm thankful that I have people who love me, a home, and a job.

Board related: I'm thankful for burrito for reminding me that first impressions are misleading and that we are all more alike than we think.

I'm thankful for my recluse friend for sharing a fanaticism with me and being cute in my presence.

I'm thankful for Dani, gutterflower and hollywood for making me smile every time I read their posts.

And I'm so thankful for Paul. The man lets me ramble and gives it back in spades. I'm not sure if we'll ever have a conversation about something other than nothing and everything all at once, and that's fine with me.

A general thankfulness to the other board members who give advice and offer support and let me return the favor. You all rock.

And I'm so thankful for Paul. The man lets me ramble and gives it back in spades. I'm not sure if we'll ever have a conversation about something other than nothing and everything all at once, and that's fine with me.

wub.png

You've totally figured me out! lol.gif Yeah, I'll happily ramble about anything That's the only way to do it! biggrin.png

Edited by PaulH85

I'm thankful for existing in this world considering the odds are against us and were well over due for a pandemic. With smallpox and stuff its really scary but true so i be very careful.

I'm thankful for my boyfriend, he's suffered through a lot of my crazy shit and always makes me laugh until my sides hurt. I'm thankful for my dogs, I think they're psychic. I'm thankful I still get a steady paycheck. I'm thankful I have all my limbs and no terminal illness. I'm thankful for my wonderful, loving, overbearing, insane parents and m thankful that they live very far away. I'm thankful that we have a functioning washer and dryer and that I don't have to schlep to a laundromat. I'm thankful for Sundays, oh how I love Sundays. I'm thankful for my hair, it's my best feature and it keeps me warm. I'm thankful for pie, pie is the answer to everything wrong with the world.

:)

- My family. They drive me nutso sometimes but I don't know what I would do if I didn't have them.

- I live in a nice house that feels warm and cozy. Good job decorating Mom!!

- I have a wonderful relationship with my boyfriend.

- I am luckily in good health, I wouldn't call myself "healthy" but I am working on it.

- I've had a lot of opportunities provided to me by my parents that have shaped me into

a mostly well rounded and self aware person. (we all have our moments of course)

- I have a car and money to buy gas.

- I have pocket money.

- I am in a career I love and enjoy immensely.

7. My job. I admittedly don't work at the most eventful place, but I'm fortunate to a) have a job to begin with, b) have a job working for a pretty big/high-end company, and c) have a job where I get paid for basically doing nothing all day. That, and I've never been denied a single day off, and I have taken a LOT of days off since I started working here... plus my coworkers/supervisors are all pretty chill people.

WoW How do I get hooked up like that.

WoW How do I get hooked up like that.

Know the right people. It's all about the connections.

I have to walk past the burn unit of the hospital to get to my derm. It really puts things into perspective for me. So, yeah, I'm thankful that acne is the worst of my problems.

im thankful for large breasts and nice body.

I'm thankful for large breasts too, although probably for slightly different reasons... biggrin.png

The weather's horrible, freezing temperatures and snow. Makes me thankful right now for the fact I have a roof over my head and somewhere warm to call home. I often lose that kind of perspective when I'm so wrapped up in stupid things like my skin, it's important to step back from time to time and look at what really matters.

Edited by PaulH85

im thankful for...

- My terrific family of course, they may drive me nuts, but they love me unconditionally, and i them.

- My awesome friends, they put up with my shit and refused to give up on me even when i gave up on myself(and not just the first time!), whatever happens, theyve got my acne-scarred back and ill always cherish them

- My job, a little strange, but my job requires a lot of focus and if i want to be good at it, i have to learn to control my emotions, and my job has taught me a lot about that.

- My books, reading has always opened up worlds for me, and i read everything! its a constant sounce of inspiration and keeps reminding me that the only limits i really have or those i place on myself

- Blueberry waffles cuz theyre delicious

- Women, for every one that rejects me im a little stronger(after bitching and having a couple drinks with the boys anyway) and learn a little more about them and myself

- My brain, me smert and yay 4 dat!

I am thankful that despite my acne, I still have great self esteem. I like my personality, who I have become and I like that despite my flaws I am comfortable in my own skin. I think this is a great topic, we all have issues in our lives but we could always have it alot worse! :) Happy Holidays everybody