Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PrznKing

Post 4 Years Accutane...ask Away

Took initial course of Accutane for 7 months...then one year later took another course for 6 months. That was 4 years ago (roughly). Ask away :)

Some quick things:

My hair is thinner and I have a receding hairline. (could be genetics but I'm pretty young so I'm sure Accutane caused it this soon)

Skin is perfect, might get a few pimples but goes away within a day or two when I spot treat.

All I use to maintain is cleansing with Cetaphil, moisturize with, Aveeno Doily Moisturizing Lotion, and I use Tazorac at night (probably every 3 days because I've been getting lazy the past few months)

For guys, if you want info on what I use to shave and all the products I use, let me know.

Congrats on being clear, and thanks for opening up this post! I'm sure a lot of members will find it very useful.

Question: did you get any laser work/chemical peels done on your red/dark marks and scarring? How long did it take for those to finally fade? How about other side effects in general?

Congrats on being clear, and thanks for opening up this post! I'm sure a lot of members will find it very useful.

Question: did you get any laser work/chemical peels done on your red/dark marks and scarring? How long did it take for those to finally fade? How about other side effects in general?

No I never got anything done. Scars on my back are still here but those were VERY bad. On my face, scars are pretty much gone but I always keep a stubble so I'm not 100% sure. Red marks took about 6 months to fade a good amount, 1 year and you can't even tell.

were you extremely oily pre-tane and, if so, did it come back?

I was VERY oily pre accutane. But Accutane made it dry and my skin is still very dry now without moisturizer.

Welcome back! smile.png

What dose were you on for most of your course(s)?

first course I was 90mg/day

second: 60mg/day

I was about 80kg so the first course was pretty high.

hi how long did the facial redness take to go away? i dont mean red marks

I never had redness in my face like that.

Wow your scars on face diminished alot? I am freaking out as I have a few indents and icepicks, which I know probably won't go away with help but did you find they diminished in size or faded a little? Oh and did your skin plump a bit as my skin is awfully thin and I get cuts and stuff very easily....

So glad you opened this post... need a little inspiration! Thanks again!

When did you notice hair thinning?

I think around the 4 month mark on the first course I noticed my hairline was receding and a few months later I grew out my hair a bit and noticed it was very thin and you could see my scalp even. Kept getting worse so I keep the hair buzzed now.

I used to regret going on the course because thin hair is horrible, but luckily, I can pull off a buzzed head lol and I'd rather have clear skin. I don't know what percentage get hair loss, but as a guy, it can be very embarrassing with bad hair so you should really consider going on Accutane or not. If I knew how bad my hair would get I would try other things before jumping on getting Accutane as fast as I did.

Wow your scars on face diminished alot? I am freaking out as I have a few indents and icepicks, which I know probably won't go away with help but did you find they diminished in size or faded a little? Oh and did your skin plump a bit as my skin is awfully thin and I get cuts and stuff very easily....

So glad you opened this post... need a little inspiration! Thanks again!

Yeah I mean you can't even see the scars on my face and they were pretty bad. Even in bad lighting, you won't see scars on my face. I don't remember exactly but I think around 1-2 years after my last course I noticed the scars were almost gone.

Yeah, I used to box but had to stop because i was getting bruised and cut so easily when I started Accutane. It got better a month or two when I got off the course.

Edited by PrznKing

Thanks for your reply, it makes me feel slightly less anxious about the crazy stuff that is happening to my skin. When you say scars do you mean red marks or indented scars? I have holes from spots which I am hoping will fill and icepicks which is hopefully look less noticeable when the skin isn't so thin. I've read that the skin plumps when you're off. Does this happen? Sorry for the barage of questions, its very rare when someone comes back to answer all the insane thoughts I have!!! :-D Thanks again.

Thanks for your reply, it makes me feel slightly less anxious about the crazy stuff that is happening to my skin. When you say scars do you mean red marks or indented scars? I have holes from spots which I am hoping will fill and icepicks which is hopefully look less noticeable when the skin isn't so thin. I've read that the skin plumps when you're off. Does this happen? Sorry for the barage of questions, its very rare when someone comes back to answer all the insane thoughts I have!!! :-D Thanks again.

Scars were indented scars. Those took a while to heal. Red marks were gone towards the end of the course. I mean in general, my red marks healed fast so I only had them while I had active acne. By month 4 I wasn't getting any acne so month 5-6 all the red marks were gone. I think this is more genetics because I know a lot of people who have red marks that last a very long time from what I used to read on the boards here.

About plumping lol I don't really remember that happening.

how old were you on your courses? just curious because my derm seems to believe that the older you are, the better your chances of being cured as opposed to taking it as a teenager, but i see your courses were only a year apart so i guess it really didn't matter, first course worked and second didn't, i guess...

how old were you on your courses? just curious because my derm seems to believe that the older you are, the better your chances of being cured as opposed to taking it as a teenager, but i see your courses were only a year apart so i guess it really didn't matter, first course worked and second didn't, i guess...

Early high school so 14-16 I believe.

Wow is all I can say! I'm alot older than you were so I guess I can't expect the same results but even if they become slightly less noticeable I'll be happy! Thanks for the info and can I just say your genes must be awesome! I still have marks from pre roaccutane spots and I'm now on month 5! Still breaking out too so I must be toxic!!

Wow is all I can say! I'm alot older than you were so I guess I can't expect the same results but even if they become slightly less noticeable I'll be happy! Thanks for the info and can I just say your genes must be awesome! I still have marks from pre roaccutane spots and I'm now on month 5! Still breaking out too so I must be toxic!!

Accutane is tough. It's like a bipolar girlfriend lol one day you're clear and another you're have a breakout. Just stick with it and it'll work out. I'm no doctor so take my advice lightly but since you're breaking out at Month 5, try to push the doctor for 7 months instead of 6.

so...do you recommend accutane? i've been on antibiotics on/off for the last two years and I definately do not have anywhere close to severe, but more in the moderate range and its very persistant acne.

so...do you recommend accutane? i've been on antibiotics on/off for the last two years and I definately do not have anywhere close to severe, but more in the moderate range and its very persistant acne.

Well that was the same case for me. I was great on antibiotics but I didn't like the idea of being on it long term. I don't like the idea of being on any medication forever. Even with the side effects, I still think Accutane was the best thing that happened to me. The biggest side effect I had was hair loss and I think it's more common as what most doctors say. Assume that you'll lose hair and then decide whether you'd wanna go on Accutane or not. For me, I'm a guy and for the most part always had a buzzed head so it didn't effect me that much but for some people it could. But yeah, I totally recommend Accutane if you have persistent or severe acne.

What was the severity of your acne?

You see I'm currently thinking of taking a 2nd course of accutane. My first course was done when I was 19. I had mild cysticr acne and I did 65mg up to 70mg. It cleared me up PERFECT for about a year and a half. When I hit 21 I started to get moderate acne, no cystic. I'm 22 now and my acne is definitely moderate but constant. Only around the mouth though. It's mild but definitely noticable.

I'm miserable right now and I remember the great feeling I had after my first course.

Do you recommend a 2nd course? Would you make the same choice you did if you could go back?

What was the severity of your acne?

You see I'm currently thinking of taking a 2nd course of accutane. My first course was done when I was 19. I had mild cysticr acne and I did 65mg up to 70mg. It cleared me up PERFECT for about a year and a half. When I hit 21 I started to get moderate acne, no cystic. I'm 22 now and my acne is definitely moderate but constant. Only around the mouth though. It's mild but definitely noticable.

I'm miserable right now and I remember the great feeling I had after my first course.

Do you recommend a 2nd course? Would you make the same choice you did if you could go back?

My acne was VERY severe. I had painful cysts all over my face and boils over my back. 4+ years later and the scars on my back from the boils look like stab wounds lol that's how bad they were. I used Tazorac when I finished but after about a year I still started getting cystic acne (although not as much as the first time) so I went for a second course. My doctor was cool about it and knew how bad my acne could get so I went straight on the second course. I don't regret it because I knew it was my only option. If you didn't have horrible side effects from the first course, just go on a second course honestly. But that's just my opinion. The second course is a lot easier, at least it was for me. I had one small breakout in the first month and from month 2 and on, I had perfect skin.

hey man, glad to hear tane cleared you up.

i have some pretty poor skin right now on my face. it doesnt make sense dude, all my life i had a few zits here and there, not the best skin, but I had little complaints. I think I got my first cyst on my face when I was 19, it came and went over a few month period. Then I got new cyst on my nose, which was probably there for a few month period as well. I continuously would always have one active cyst on my face and it seemed that as soon as this cyst would leave, a new one would decide to show up out of no where. I was 21 before finally talking to my doctor about this and he referred me to a derm appointment that was 6 months away. My skin at this point was at its worst. If I had a way of posting pictures I would but it was almost as if my cysts mimicked each other on both sides of my face. Mainly my cheek bone area, but both sides had cysts in almost identical places. Painful cysts portuding outside of the skin, as well as painful cysts burried deep within my skin. This truly has been the worst health problem I have had to deal with, and I wish it upon nobody.

I finally got fed up with my appearance and went to the Medi-Clinic just to talk to the doctor and see if he had any ideas. He immediately looked at my face and told me I needed accutane. I was prescribed 60mg/day pending my blood work which came back good. I took this dosage for about a month before seeing my dermatologist who then bumped me up to 80 mg/day. I have taken that dosage ever since and I can say I have seen positive results.

My problem is, I still have active cysts above and beneath my skin. Previous cysts have healed somewhat, but the cysts acquired during treatment are causing some grief here and I have 9 days left of accutane to take.

My question is:

What is going to happen when I stop taking accutane?

I understand that the isoretinoin is likely still going to take effect once I stop taking the pills. But did you see significant progress AFTER taking accutane?

Thanks, your answer is very appreciated.

i have some pretty poor skin right now on my face. it doesnt make sense dude, all my life i had a few zits here and there, not the best skin, but I had little complaints. I think I got my first cyst on my face when I was 19, it came and went over a few month period. Then I got new cyst on my nose, which was probably there for a few month period as well. I continuously would always have one active cyst on my face and it seemed that as soon as this cyst would leave, a new one would decide to show up out of no where. I was 21 before finally talking to my doctor about this and he referred me to a derm appointment that was 6 months away. My skin at this point was at its worst. If I had a way of posting pictures I would but it was almost as if my cysts mimicked each other on both sides of my face. Mainly my cheek bone area, but both sides had cysts in almost identical places. Painful cysts portuding outside of the skin, as well as painful cysts burried deep within my skin. This truly has been the worst health problem I have had to deal with, and I wish it upon nobody.

I finally got fed up with my appearance and went to the Medi-Clinic just to talk to the doctor and see if he had any ideas. He immediately looked at my face and told me I needed accutane. I was prescribed 60mg/day pending my blood work which came back good. I took this dosage for about a month before seeing my dermatologist who then bumped me up to 80 mg/day. I have taken that dosage ever since and I can say I have seen positive results.

My problem is, I still have active cysts above and beneath my skin. Previous cysts have healed somewhat, but the cysts acquired during treatment are causing some grief here and I have 9 days left of accutane to take.

My question is:

I understand that the isoretinoin is likely still going to take effect once I stop taking the pills. But did you see significant progress AFTER taking accutane?

Well my skin was clear around Month 4/5 and it stayed clear almost a year after I got off. The medicine will still be in your body up to 6 months apparently which is why they say no waxing or anything like that for 6 months. If you're still getting those cysts and you're almost done with the course, ask your doctor for another month? BTW, 80mg a day is a strong amount so I would think you should be clear, but how much do you weight?

My question is:

Well my skin was clear around Month 4/5 and it stayed clear almost a year after I got off. The medicine will still be in your body up to 6 months apparently which is why they say no waxing or anything like that for 6 months. If you're still getting those cysts and you're almost done with the course, ask your doctor for another month? BTW, 80mg a day is a strong amount so I would think you should be clear, but how much do you weight?

Thank you for your response.

When I last went to my derm, he told me that it appears my cysts will go into a nice remission and to finish taking however many isoretinoin pills I have left. After today, I have 8 left, and two cysts, one on each side.

I weigh 170lbs and have always taken my isoretinoin with fatty meals.

I may book a derm appointment for around christmas time so that he can use some better judgement on my situation.

I am able to see progress in the mirror week to week, but not day to day, which I believe is a good sign because any progress is GOOD progress.

Like I said before, I still have one cyst on my right side that has not made itself present on the outside. As well as a re-occuring cyst on my left side.

The one on my left side is particularily strange. I had this exact same cyst there about 6-8 weeks ago and it eventually began to bleed out in my sleep. There was two scab marks where it would drain from. While one of these scabs were open one night after I showered, I rolled up a piece of kleenex into a very tiny piece and insertered it into the cyst, like you would with a needle. When I pulled it out, about a 2 inch hair came out on the end of the kleenex. My cyst was able to heal more efficiently after this. Now it is back, and the same scab marks in the exact same place have re-appeared. As I said before, I was able to push out what I believe was clogging it up and it now looks like it is healing.

You think my best bet is just to go see my derm again? He told me that once I'm done with the pills, wait ~30 days, then go and get the Differin prescription he wrote for me and to apply that daily for 6 months.

I just want these fucking cysts off my face. I haven't got laid in a while and its because I don't think any girl would want to talk to me, let alone sleep with me with these cysts on my face. This shit has essentially ruined my life.

Thank you for your response.

When I last went to my derm, he told me that it appears my cysts will go into a nice remission and to finish taking however many isoretinoin pills I have left. After today, I have 8 left, and two cysts, one on each side.

I weigh 170lbs and have always taken my isoretinoin with fatty meals.

Ok well 80mg is definitely a strong dosage. That's good.

I may book a derm appointment for around christmas time so that he can use some better judgement on my situation.

I am able to see progress in the mirror week to week, but not day to day, which I believe is a good sign because any progress is GOOD progress.

Like I said before, I still have one cyst on my right side that has not made itself present on the outside. As well as a re-occuring cyst on my left side.

The one on my left side is particularily strange. I had this exact same cyst there about 6-8 weeks ago and it eventually began to bleed out in my sleep. There was two scab marks where it would drain from. While one of these scabs were open one night after I showered, I rolled up a piece of kleenex into a very tiny piece and insertered it into the cyst, like you would with a needle. When I pulled it out, about a 2 inch hair came out on the end of the kleenex. My cyst was able to heal more efficiently after this. Now it is back, and the same scab marks in the exact same place have re-appeared. As I said before, I was able to push out what I believe was clogging it up and it now looks like it is healing.

Sounds like an ingrown hair? What do you do for your facial hair? Trim, shave, beard, etc? If you shave, how do you go about it. Let me know the exact process whether you do it before a shower/during/after and what products do you use.

You think my best bet is just to go see my derm again? He told me that once I'm done with the pills, wait ~30 days, then go and get the Differin prescription he wrote for me and to apply that daily for 6 months.

Yeah, just wait until you're done and go back after a month and see how your skin is. I would also ask for the Tazorac cream instead of the gel. The .1% strength one. These two cysts could just be the last stubborn ones. If you want to get it fixed ASAP, go get a cortisone shot.

I just want these fucking cysts off my face. I haven't got laid in a while and its because I don't think any girl would want to talk to me, let alone sleep with me with these cysts on my face. This shit has essentially ruined my life.

I answered and commented in the bold. Definitely let me know about the facial hair situation.

The facial hair situation...

I usually shave pre-shower. I use C.O Bigelow shaving cream: http://www.bigelowchemists.com/men/bigelow-premium-shave-cream.html

It has a lot of Parabens in it, but the area that is covered in the cream has no cysts and I have never had any cysts there.

I use the Hydro5 razor and in the shower I wash my face with a cleanser made by "Kiss My Face".

The areas I shave have never had a problem, its mainly about a 2x2 inch square to the right and left of my nostrils.

Does this help?