Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sallyann616

I Am Going To Reiterate Information Already On Here, But Portion Size Is The Missing Piece Of All These Acne Diets

i didnt want to believe it, infact ive spent years and years deciding it isnt so as i love eating a large meal and feeling full to bursting, but guys we HAVE to eat small small portions frequently.

For the last 10 years i have tried so many diets that help acne, elimination diets, low carb, paleo, the last month gluten free and paleo combined. I have managed to make a huge difference to the acne on my buttocks and the KP on my arms, and yet still my face would have breakouts.

I broke up with my boyfriend 3 months ago and for three months my skin has broken out again and again. i thought about it a few days ago and tried to work out what the problem was and pinpoint what could be causing it. Stress? Broken heartedness? Well kind of, my binge eating has been ramped up since we split up as i have been sad. So although i was still being very restrictive with what food i was putting into me, i was not about the quantities.

I started thinking really carefully about when these acne flares occured, and they were after i had scoffed down a huge meal. I will eat until i get sweaty and hot, and then within 12 hours the whiteheads start appearing, my skin oozes oil, bumps appear and this lasts about 3-4 days.

So once this blimming lightbulb went off in my head i researched it and there are quite a few threads on here about binge eating and acne. I read some of my diet books (i have many!) and one on perfect digestion says we can digest anything as long as we eat in amounts no bigger than our cupped hands, protein no bigger than our fist, chew until the food disintegrates fully.

From yesterday i have eaten small portions regularly throughout the day. About 3-4 hours apart and probably no more than a cup full at a time. i suspect i will lose weight as i am still eating gluten free, paleo friendly, but i have about 2 stone to lose so not worried.

My skin is no longer pouring oil and although i have red marks, it feels normal.

I will update this thread regularly. But i have a suspicion that we could all probably eat a moderate western diet if we ate very small portions. I could probably tolerate cake if i just had a tiny square of the stuff. I dont plan on eating any food that is horribly moreish though as that can trigger a binge even if your willpower feels strong.

I hope this might encourage others who have tried a thousand diets and yet still haven't quite found that missing jigsaw piece, to just eat less and see if your skin changes, to my mind it should change immediately!

I was always under the impression that eating 2 possibly 3 big meals a day is much better for you than snacking on little portions here and there, but if it works for you then that's cool. Look forward to reading your progress.

Overall daily caloric intake (24 hour metabolism) is what you need to look at. Limit calories and intermittently fast if that suits you, but between eating smaller meals frequently and eating appropriately sized larger meals won't make any difference.

The difference is never eat until you feel like bursting, even if you're calorically within range. Any amount of fat or carb in that much of excess in that short of time will cause major insulin spikes.

Edited by Vanbelle

This isn't the best piece of advice to give on THANKSGIVING DAY WHEN YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO EAT A LOOOOT.

This isn't the best piece of advice to give on THANKSGIVING DAY WHEN YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO EAT A LOOOOT.

Also highly problematic. There has to be some science on holidays being metabolically null.

I'm like, 95% sure eating more dinner rolls will soak up the insulin, as will pumpkin pie. Fight sugar spikes with more sugar spikes.

Edited by Vanbelle

Well im on day three and everything is caaaaaalm! Skin has no new spots, no bumps, just red marks.

I am eating what i would eat in a normal day, but split into smaller portions. I did wonder what was happening chemically when i eat to bursting that causes the acne, insulin spiking makes sense as i am very sugar sensitive generally. many moons ago when i ate sweets i would get flushed in the face and very ratty.

Another thing ive noticed about giving my digestive system a rest is i have cheered up hugely! I am going through a really touch time at the moment with lack of employment and financial worries, yet im really rather happy and smiley. I just feel so much lighter.

I am going to keep updating this as i am so so sure this is the start of the rest of my life. it makes sense, it concurs with why my skin was so clear at certain times of my life and so dreadful at others and i think the smaller portions will actually see me lost the extra stubborn weight that's been vexing me for an age.

the thought of waking up in the morning and having clear skin when i look in the mirror is better than a lottery win to me!!!

Hi Guys,

woken up this morning, no new spots. just red marks. I am due on my period in the next week so it will be interesting to see if i have any hormonal breakouts.

I am so so gutted i have allowed myself to have bad skin for two decades when i could have solved this so long ago :(

definitely a correlation, especially when it comes to eating meals high in carbs.

like even low GI foods such as yams/sweet potatoes become an issue when you eat them in excess and as you said its all about blood sugar and insulin essentially.

stomach acid could play a role to an extent because a lot of us truly are deficient in that department but blood sugar spikes are everything.

Well yesterdeay i decided to test my theory that portion size is key. I had a small (think palm sized) piece of battered cod for lunch, no veg or accompaniments bar tartare sauce, and no ill effects today.

Woke up with no 'new' spots, some old blocked pores decided to come to a head so i probably have three extra red marks, but the sort that will fade in days not weeks.

Feel very positive even though my face is still a red marked mess ;(.

Woke up and still no new spots. Have counted 30 red marks and they are really blighting my positive mood ie finding the trigger to my outbreaks.

Im thinking of having a peel, maybe just on my forehead as that is where it looks the worst ;(

God i feel so much better eating this way. i have loads of energy, the weight is falling off me and my skin is still has no new spots!

I can pretty much cover the 10 or so red marks i have under my nose and one side of my chin, so with a baseball cap on, my skin looks 95% clear. My forehead however is a red marked mess. From past experience this should look much much better come Christmas, and with any luck from that point on i will stay clear!! ;)

Still no new spots, forehead is AWFUL lol, could kick myself for picking at it :(, it is now a scabby bleeding mess. Any advice on how to help it heal?

Still no new spots, forehead is AWFUL lol, could kick myself for picking at it sad.png, it is now a scabby bleeding mess. Any advice on how to help it heal?

This might sound weird but green tea and/or chamomile tea topically. I do green in the am, chamomile in the pm. Mainly because chamomile smell lingers more. They both reallllly calm my skin down. Green especially reduces redness. I also put on polysporin on spots that are scabby, but not active.

I've been thinking about the whole portion size thing... I'm going to try it out tomorrow! I already eat vegan, lots of fruits/veggies and my skin still isn't clear. The one thing I'm worried about is the weight loss, I've already lost too much from the acne diet, I'm sitting at around 115 pounds and 5'7". Not a healthy place to be, but I'm not sure where to add calories without adding acne potential, perhaps almonds.

Edited by jennifer36

Hi jennifer,

Hmm, i would say you can still eat fats, nuts etc, just eat them over the space of a day, not in one go.

I was convinced nuts caused outbreaks, well i was half right. Nuts in the quantity i would eat them, ie a whole blimming bag!! would cause spots, if id just eaten three it would have been fine. Vegetables to excess also cause problems. Are you eating vegan because of acne or because of moral reasons? If it is because of acne only i have never found protein caused an outbreak, absolutely the opposite, it was the only safe food i could eat.

Hi jennifer,

Hmm, i would say you can still eat fats, nuts etc, just eat them over the space of a day, not in one go.

I was convinced nuts caused outbreaks, well i was half right. Nuts in the quantity i would eat them, ie a whole blimming bag!! would cause spots, if id just eaten three it would have been fine. Vegetables to excess also cause problems. Are you eating vegan because of acne or because of moral reasons? If it is because of acne only i have never found protein caused an outbreak, absolutely the opposite, it was the only safe food i could eat.

I've been a vegetarian for quite a while for moral reasons, and more recently vegan for acne reasons. I find certain nuts break me out. I LOVE peanut butter... the organic, just peanuts kind, but I've heard that peanuts are the number one trigger of acne, right after dairy and soy. Almonds seem safe to me from what I've heard, as well as seeds like pumpkin and sunflower. My main source of protein is a vegan vegegreens supplement, which sources protein from hemp, chia, cranberry seed, yellow pea and brown rice. As well as that I consume a lot of spirulina and chlorella, my two favourite "foods" ever!

I just ate 5 plates of rice, with beans and stew, and two slices of pie, and two twinkies last night for dinner. My stomach was killing me, and today I ate 2 slices of pie and 2 twinkies.

This is over-eating to the extreme. I just felt so hungry from being on an acne diet, that I ate everything in my fridge. I know I will get acne within a week from this...and I have no idea how to recover. It's hard to just JUMP right in and start eating plain fruits and veggies all over again. My stomach is so bloated, I'm not even hungry but have the desire to eat. It's easy to make a diet plan but, it's very very hard to actually follow it. : - (

I just ate 5 plates of rice, with beans and stew, and two slices of pie, and two twinkies last night for dinner. My stomach was killing me, and today I ate 2 slices of pie and 2 twinkies.

This is over-eating to the extreme. I just felt so hungry from being on an acne diet, that I ate everything in my fridge. I know I will get acne within a week from this...and I have no idea how to recover. It's hard to just JUMP right in and start eating plain fruits and veggies all over again. My stomach is so bloated, I'm not even hungry but have the desire to eat. It's easy to make a diet plan but, it's very very hard to actually follow it. : - (

You don't have to be a vegan to clear your skin. I wasn't and I eat more meat than the average person probably.

Fats, meats, fish, shellfish, nuts, seeds, herbs, spices, veggies, fruit are all good as long as you don't have an intolerance or you're not causing blood sugar spikes or screwing your omega-3 to 6 ratio.

If you're having trouble with cravings, take Ephedra or make tea out of it. You won't even want to look at food.

You don't have to be a vegan to clear your skin. I wasn't and I eat more meat than the average person probably.

Fats, meats, fish, shellfish, nuts, seeds, herbs, spices, veggies, fruit are all good as long as you don't have an intolerance or you're not causing blood sugar spikes or screwing your omega-3 to 6 ratio.

If you're having trouble with cravings, take Ephedra or make tea out of it. You won't even want to look at food.

I don't have any problem with eating meat, I've just never liked the taste, and I'm unsure if I could eat the "regular" meat they sell in your average store. Since Grass fed is so expensive.

I know I need to eat meat though because it's healthy..do you think it would be ok to eat meat that has been plumped with hormones/antibiotics and fed grains? I don't want to get acne when I'm trying to eat healthy.

I'd honestly steer clear of conventional grain fed beef, but chicken is a little less offensive.

It's about smart shopping. I bet those 5 plates of rice and junk food were as expensive as grass-fed meat.

Ok, got a tiny whitehead on my chin yesterday, which has gone already. But did get quite an annoying spot on my forehead, that i know will take a good week to go.

Otherwise my skin, from eyes down to chin, pretty clear, bar some red marks that can easily be covered with make up. Forehead does look a lot better, quite cross about that big spot though, i know its very early days so i cant expect not to get anymore spots ever again!