Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sprintz

Help! Unsure How To Use New Prescriptions!

Hi all,

I have been using 2.5% Benzoyl peroxide ONLY for around 2 years, have seen o.k. but not great results (still get breakouts). I went to the derm and he prescribed Clindamycin Lotion 1% and Tretinoin Cream 0.025% (both seem to be generics) to use in addition to BP.

I am not sure in what combination I should be using these, he wasnt very clear. From what I've read Clinda works best in combo with BP. Should I apply a thin layer of BP & Clinda in the AM, then use Tret. ONLY in the P.M. (with no BP)? Or some other method?

I would call the derm but it was a very rush in / rush out kinda clinic and doubt I could get a hold of the right guy!

Thanks all!!!

Edited by Sprintz

bp/clinda in the AM and tret in the PM sounds about right. it's important not to use the tretinoin before going in the sun, that's why you have to use it at night only. if your skin starts getting too irritated, i'd cut the BP out and just use the clinda in the AM and tret in the PM. it's also going to be important to moisturize and keep out of the sun/use sunscreen.

Thanks for the advice. I'm following it. I've been using BP for so long (as, since I was on the regimen, in quite large quantities) that I'm used to irritation and can deal with it fairly well. So far the clinda/bp AM & tret. PM is no more irritating than before.

I do have a question about quantities, however (as usual, derm. was incredibly vague). I have read on various websites the 'pea sized' amount of Clinda/Tret. for the entire face. Currently I am doing a thin layer of BP over entire face, wait 5-10 mins, large pea-sized amount of clinda, then large pea-sized Tret. in the evening. Does that sound about right? Or should I be using more clind./tret? It seems like a very thin layer. As for BP, I use a thin finger's length of 2.5% (much less than the regimen, but probably 3-4 'pea sized' amounts.

I don't want to under-do it and not have results, but I also don't want to use too much and damage my skin/cause undue irritation.

I don't know about clinda but i think with retinoids, "less is more," ya know? More is just irritating. I have only ever seen that you're supposed to use a "pea-zized" amount of retinoids. Those were my directions from my dermatologist too.

you shouldn't need BP if you're on clinda/tret. and tretinoin should be a pea-sized amount for your entire face... i don't know what you mean by a large pea size, but less IS more. keep up this regimen and you'll see the overuse of tretinoin and/or use of BP is going to dry your skin out a lot. cut out the BP and use tretinoin moderately. and get a good moisturizer to use mornings and evenings after medicine application.

sorry for repeating myself i just realized i had already posted here before...

Edited by unlovely2011