Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DainBramaged

Indented Scar After Stitches

Hello, almost a month ago I had stitches on my forehead. The scar is kinda big and indented. I could live with a bit of scarring, but I think that the position is very noticeable. Plus, when I make a facial expression, the stitched area goes even more inside and creates something like a huge wrinkle on my forehead.

I am getting really self conscious over this. I know the redness will eventually fade (I've had many stitches before, most created keloid scars though), but is it going to become less indented by the time (it's not the usual kind of indentation I've experienced before)?

Or should I consider having it fixed or filled somehow?

Here are some pics:

while stretching my forehead

95746897.jpg

49145164.jpg

normal

69940430.jpg

Any advice? Thank you.

Considering you had that done a month ago it's looking not too bad in my own opinion.

The thing about getting an excision is that it's basically about replacing a deep and very noticeable scar with a fine linear scar. Healing can take up to a year or more. Your scar should definitely improve as the redness begins to fade.

For optimal results a dermabrasion or co2 laser is recommended some 6 weeks + after the excision as this will blend the linear scar in with the surrounding skin.

Considering you had that done a month ago it's looking not too bad in my own opinion.

The thing about getting an excision is that it's basically about replacing a deep and very noticeable scar with a fine linear scar. Healing can take up to a year or more. Your scar should definitely improve as the redness begins to fade.

For optimal results a dermabrasion or co2 laser is recommended some 6 weeks + after the excision as this will blend the linear scar in with the surrounding skin.

Thanks a lot for your response. It's not exactly a linear scar though, it's kinda wider. Would laser still help? And do you think the skin will eventually stop making that curve? It's really bothering me...

It's 'wider' because your skin is still swollen and raw, it will become thinner over time.

Laser would help yes, but I'd opt for dermabrasion. it would be a fraction of the price as you'd only be having a small area done.

It's 'wider' because your skin is still swollen and raw, it will become thinner over time.

Laser would help yes, but I'd opt for dermabrasion. it would be a fraction of the price as you'd only be having a small area done.

Laser treatment is easier for me, but I'd go with whatever offers the best results.

The co2 one (carbon dioxide) is an ablative laser and removes more layers of skin than non-ablative lasers. The erbium laser and the Fraxel re:pair lasers are also ablative lasers although the Fraxel re:pair laser requires repeat treatments. Fraxel re:store and Thermage are non-ablative and have much less downtime.

The co2 laser involves a lot of downtime and is very expensive.

The co2 one (carbon dioxide) is an ablative laser and removes more layers of skin than non-ablative lasers. The erbium laser and the Fraxel re:pair lasers are also ablative lasers although the Fraxel re:pair laser requires repeat treatments. Fraxel re:store and Thermage are non-ablative and have much less downtime.

The co2 laser involves a lot of downtime and is very expensive.

First of all, thanks a lot for your input. Staying inside for a week in Christmas wouldn't be a big problem I guess, if the price isn't too high. I saw another guy's thread and the results were pretty good I can say. But it sounds like an agressive treatment, are there any risks? I wouldn't like to do more harm...

Edited by DainBramaged

Hypopigmentation (lightening of the skin), additional scarring if the penetration is too deep, infection etc...

All in all, any type of acne scarring treatment you get has its risks but in the hands of a skilled physician, these risks should be minimal.

Personally, I'd opt for a spot dermabrasion.

Edited by Dazarooni

Hey! 1 month ain't old for a scar and it'll probably fill in some more still. smile.png Redness is also a sign that it's still "maturing". I'd give it at least few more months before doing anything like laser etc on it.

Edited by Acnepolis

as said above- dont do anything til the redness is completely gone- that can take up to 6 months. You dont want to scrape even deeper into that skin thats just healing.

I disagree with the two comments above. You'll find many physicians advocating for something like dermabrasion 6-8 weeks after an excision. To explain it here's a quote from an article concerning dermabrasion and surgical scars.

"For traumatic and surgical scars, the thickness, contour, and overall appearance is routinely improved with postoperative dermabrasion. Also known as scarabrasion, this procedure is best performed 6-8 weeks after the initial surgery or wounding event. When performed during this 6- to 8-week window, the late proliferative and early remodeling phases of wound healing are interrupted and partially reset, resulting in an improved final cosmetic result".

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1126231-overview#a03

Ok so after speaking with the dermatologist, he didn't suggest I try a laser therapy. So now I am going to consult a plastic surgeon. I have dermabrasion in mind, but the downtime and the bad reviews I've heard make me hesitant. Do you think I should get it re-excised? It would be like the 3rd time.

Should I ever do that, I now know the best option is to use internal AND external stitches. Internal in order to support the skin after the external stitches are removed, so it does not open like that but form a linear scar instead, and external to achieve the best result.

I really can't stand all this scar tissue and the indentation on my forehead. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Edited by DainBramaged

Thank you for taking the time to put the picture for us to see. I recently had an injury to my forehead just in between my eyes.It is still red and it appears indented. I have lost skin tissue and that is why i have an indented line. I had my sutches removed in ten days and i don't have any mark or holes from that. I see that you have marks from the stiches and i assume you probally had left them in too long. I read that facial stiches need to be removed within 7-10 days. I have done extensive reseach and i know some of my options include z plasty surgery or laser. I have brown skin and from all advice on the internet, and it seems like dermabrasion is a bad idea because it will end of leaving more scars .Some of the topical products i read about is scarguard and scraguard light. These products seem to have great reviews on the internet, but i am weary that the reviews were written by paid people. I say this because i haven't seen much negative reviews on this scarguard products. Another product i read about is the dermaroller, this is another product with great reviews and little negativity, again this worries me, but the information obtained about the dermaroller seems to be better than doing plastic surgery, fillers, skin tatoo(color matching) etc for my case. I am going to try the dermaroller, but here is the thing, i can't seem to find a place where i can buy the genuine roller with the surgical type needles. I hate scars !!!!!

Edited by db99

Thank you for taking the time to put the picture for us to see. I recently had an injury to my forehead just in between my eyes.It is still red and it appears indented. I have lost skin tissue and that is why i have an indented line. I had my sutches removed in ten days and i don't have any mark or holes from that. I see that you have marks from the stiches and i assume you probally had left them in too long. I read that facial stiches need to be removed within 7-10 days. I have done extensive reseach and i know some of my options include z plasty surgery or laser. I have brown skin and from all advice on the internet, and it seems like dermabrasion is a bad idea because it will end of leaving more scars .Some of the topical products i read about is scarguard and scraguard light. These products seem to have great reviews on the internet, but i am weary that the reviews were written by paid people. I say this because i haven't seen much negative reviews on this scarguard products. Another product i read about is the dermaroller, this is another product with great reviews and little negativity, again this worries me, but the information obtained about the dermaroller seems to be better than doing plastic surgery, fillers, skin tatoo(color matching) etc for my case. I am going to try the dermaroller, but here is the thing, i can't seem to find a place where i can buy the genuine roller with the surgical type needles. I hate scars !!!!!

Hello. It sounds like you have the same kind of scar with me, right? Well, mine has slightly improved since this thread, but I finally decided to do laser treatments. You can read more here:

Hello. It sounds like you have the same kind of scar with me, right? Well, mine has slightly improved since this thread (yes, the stitches were left for 2 weeks because I was afraid of the wound opening), but I finally decided to do laser treatments (firstly IPL and then probably an ablative one). You can read more here.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/308593-starting-ipl-laser-treatment/

Yes we are both in the same boat, same dilema. Anyway i will not let it ruin my confidence. While i understand ipl laser might help with the pigmentation it will not help to made the wideness of your scar thin, it will help with your pigmentation. I am not an expert but this is my understanding. My question to you is , how are you going to plump up the indentation in your skin ? Did you also inquire about z plasty or geometricl broken line reapair ?

Yes we are both in the same boat, same dilema. Anyway i will not let it ruin my confidence. While i understand ipl laser might help with the pigmentation it will not help to made the wideness of your scar thin, it will help with your pigmentation. I am not an expert but this is my understanding. My question to you is , how are you going to plump up the indentation in your skin ? Did you also inquire about z plasty or geometricl broken line reapair ?

You are right, that's why I will also have ablative laser done once the colour is not red anymore (the plastic surgeon said he couldn't operate a fresh scar). Or, well, as this specific scar is not tethered (the other one I have on the cheek is), I will consider fat injections for it. It depends on how it will look in a couple of months.

One question. Does your scar get much more indented when you make facial expressions? Like a wrinkle or something?

No my scar is in between my eyelashes. Until today I have never heard about scarbrasion. I saw someone posted something about above. I just order a dermaroller and I sure hope it works. Have you seen the dermaflage product ? If so what are your thoughts ? Also why dont you consider scarlight md instead of the laser ? For me I want to resort to any lasers last, my understanding is that if there is a scew up , the damage may may things worst for other procedures/option or simply put irreversible.

No my scar is in between my eyelashes. Until today I have never heard about scarbrasion. I saw someone posted something about above. I just order a dermaroller and I sure hope it works. Have you seen the dermaflage product ? If so what are your thoughts ? Also why dont you consider scarlight md instead of the laser ? For me I want to resort to any lasers last, my understanding is that if there is a scew up , the damage may may things worst for other procedures/option or simply put irreversible.

I just do what the surgeon suggested. I'm no expert, but lasers are quite safer than dermabrasion and go deep into the skin enough to be effective.