Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FSAS

My Hormones Just Wanna Destroy Me. Lifestyle/diet Has Made Things Worse After 4 Months

When I started Diane 35 my face was 100% flawless for two great years but at some point it just stopped working for me and I had to go on Accutane again. My face eventually went back to being very oily and breaking out pretty consistently. They only way I can control the breakouts now is using an AHA lotion all the time and an astringent a couple times a week to really dry everything out. My face stays mostly clear now but it's a constant struggle. I'm honestly not sure if you should be taking all those supplements, those could possibly make the situation worse. I've never had a good experience with any supplement and I know that some make my face way worse, like ZINC. I don't care what people say I know that zinc messes up my face. Maybe you could try cutting out the supplements and get nutrients from fresh fruits and vegetables instead.

Diane35 is not good at all for the gut environment or your adrenals. When you start messing with your adrenal function, you will most defiantly have thyroid as well as hormonal problems as your adrenals run the show.

I would also recommend shopaholic working on healing your gut from food if you are still experiencing breakouts. It's sad what birth control and antibiotics do to our health.

How would you suggest someone avoid getting pregnant without taking birth control pills? I don't really have a choice and I've been on some that were awful for me so now I'm scared to switch FYI.

Weeell, Lol, there is always the flow method, knowing when you are ovulating and avoiding intercourse at that time. Here is a link......http://www.modernmom.com/article/how-not-to-get-pregnant-without-using-birth-control

Or condoms, diaphram? The first choice is the most natural method.

Here is a quote from a holistic health site referring to Dr Natasha Campbell Mcbride (founder of the GAPS DIET), I visited....

"Recently some studies have come to my attention that I wanted to share. These studies have been showing how certain drugs like the commonly taken Birth Control Pill can lead to some very unpleasant side effects on our health. This is of concern as use of the birth control pill increases and now upwards of 2/3 of reproductive age women are taking this medication. As most people think only excessive use of antibiotics will damage our gut flora, this is not the case.

Science shows that when taking the birth control pill it can change the homeostatic condition of the bacterial cultures within the stomach. This makes us unable to properly digest our foods and decreases the absorption of much needed vitamins, minerals and other essential elements. As the birth control pill is digested it releases a byproduct within our stomachs which is toxic. This changes the bacteria balance within the stomach and changes how our bodies digest foods. Not only this but this toxin is absorbed into the blood stream and passed along to all the organs of the body.

Not only does the birth control pill possibly create a unhealthy digestive tract but it is also more difficult to treat and reverse.

Referring to Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride MD she states that drugs such as the birth control pill create severe gut dysbiosis and drug induced gut imbalance is poorly treated using probiotics and nutritional treatment.

Our digestive health is so important when trying to conceive a healthy child. We need to absorb all the nutrients necessary to pass along to our developing follicles and the building of a healthy uterine lining. Once a pregnancy is achieved we still need to make sure our diets contain enough vitamins and minerals to optimize the development of the life within. If your digestion isn't optimized this can be jeopardized, no matter how many supplements or organic food is being consumed !

It is up to each and everyone of us to try to educate ourselves as best we can on anything that we are consuming. Even the smallest changes overtime can create a huge benefit or devastative effect on our health.

There is also a very good link about birth control and gut health here.........http://chriskresser.com/9-steps-to-perfect-health-5-heal-your-gut

(you'll have to copy and paste)

http://www.thehealth...-childs-health/

For a woman who is in a relationship where sex is common and random these methods aren't very effective and/or convenient. I was basically saying that for some people birth control pills are the best option. There are plenty of articles claiming acne is caused by many different things and everyone is different. When my skin was at it's worst about 7 years ago I wasn't even on birth control and after starting birth control my skin has never been as bad as it was back then. My skin isn't perfect now but certainly not as bad as it is when I'm not taking birth control pills. I'm sure there are many people, like men for example, who have never been on the pill but still have acne. I'm currently in the process of cleaning up my diet to sort out my skin issues, which is mostly oily skin that is very annoying. I didn't ask for anyone's opinion about my skin issues but thanks for input, maybe it was useful to someone else.

Actually, I am not saying birth control is what is causing acne. I am stating that birth control effects the microbes in the gut environment which will create problems down the road. It is up to you what you use, I just want to make sure everyone knows what it is doing to their health/hormones/skin as everyone deserves the right to make their own decisions. The birth control may temporarily help your skin as it is synthetically altering the hormones but it will alter your gut health now and future, that is well known medically and documented. I did not intend to upset you and in my naive mind thought you were seriously asking my opinion. My apologies for that. Regardless of articles, it is a well known fact that your gut is 80% of your immunity and if it is not healthy you won't be either. Most of the people here in the Holistic/Natural forum you are visiting will agree with repairing your gut health is crucial to overall health as well as being acne free. You posted here so I was replying in reference to that fact that most of us here discuss the issue of gut health all day long here.

When I started Diane 35 my face was 100% flawless for two great years but at some point it just stopped working for me and I had to go on Accutane again. My face eventually went back to being very oily and breaking out pretty consistently. They only way I can control the breakouts now is using an AHA lotion all the time and an astringent a couple times a week to really dry everything out. My face stays mostly clear now but it's a constant struggle. I'm honestly not sure if you should be taking all those supplements, those could possibly make the situation worse. I've never had a good experience with any supplement and I know that some make my face way worse, like ZINC. I don't care what people say I know that zinc messes up my face. Maybe you could try cutting out the supplements and get nutrients from fresh fruits and vegetables instead.

Diane35 is not good at all for the gut environment or your adrenals. When you start messing with your adrenal function, you will most defiantly have thyroid as well as hormonal problems as your adrenals run the show.

I would also recommend shopaholic working on healing your gut from food if you are still experiencing breakouts. It's sad what birth control and antibiotics do to our health.

How would you suggest someone avoid getting pregnant without taking birth control pills? I don't really have a choice and I've been on some that were awful for me so now I'm scared to switch FYI.

Weeell, Lol, there is always the flow method, knowing when you are ovulating and avoiding intercourse at that time. Here is a link......http://www.modernmom.com/article/how-not-to-get-pregnant-without-using-birth-control

Here is a quote from a holistic health site referring to Dr Natasha Campbell Mcbride (founder of the GAPS DIET), I visited....

"Recently some studies have come to my attention that I wanted to share. These studies have been showing how certain drugs like the commonly taken Birth Control Pill can lead to some very unpleasant side effects on our health. This is of concern as use of the birth control pill increases and now upwards of 2/3 of reproductive age women are taking this medication. As most people think only excessive use of antibiotics will damage our gut flora, this is not the case.

Science shows that when taking the birth control pill it can change the homeostatic condition of the bacterial cultures within the stomach. This makes us unable to properly digest our foods and decreases the absorption of much needed vitamins, minerals and other essential elements. As the birth control pill is digested it releases a byproduct within our stomachs which is toxic. This changes the bacteria balance within the stomach and changes how our bodies digest foods. Not only this but this toxin is absorbed into the blood stream and passed along to all the organs of the body.

Not only does the birth control pill possibly create a unhealthy digestive tract but it is also more difficult to treat and reverse.

Referring to Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride MD she states that drugs such as the birth control pill create severe gut dysbiosis and drug induced gut imbalance is poorly treated using probiotics and nutritional treatment.

Our digestive health is so important when trying to conceive a healthy child. We need to absorb all the nutrients necessary to pass along to our developing follicles and the building of a healthy uterine lining. Once a pregnancy is achieved we still need to make sure our diets contain enough vitamins and minerals to optimize the development of the life within. If your digestion isn't optimized this can be jeopardized, no matter how many supplements or organic food is being consumed !

It is up to each and everyone of us to try to educate ourselves as best we can on anything that we are consuming. Even the smallest changes overtime can create a huge benefit or devastative effect on our health.

There is also a very good link about birth control and gut health here.........http://chriskresser.com/9-steps-to-perfect-health-5-heal-your-gut

For a woman who is in a relationship where sex is common and random these methods aren't very effective and/or convenient. I was basically saying that for some people birth control pills are the best option. There are plenty of articles claiming acne is caused by many different things and everyone is different. When my skin was at it's worst about 7 years ago I wasn't even on birth control and after starting birth control my skin has never been as bad as it was back then. My skin isn't perfect now but certainly not as bad as it is when I'm not taking birth control pills. I'm sure there are many people, like men for example, who have never been on the pill but still have acne. I'm currently in the process of cleaning up my diet to sort out my skin issues, which is mostly oily skin that is very annoying. I didn't ask for anyone's opinion about my skin issues but thanks for input, maybe it was useful to someone else.

Actually, I am not saying birth control is what is causing acne. I am stating that birth control effects the microbes in the gut environment which will create problems down the road. It is up to you what you use, I just want to make sure everyone knows what it is doing to their health/hormones/skin as everyone deserves the right to make their own decisions. The birth control may temporarily help your skin as it is synthetically altering the hormones but it will alter your gut health now and future, that is well known medically and documented. I did not intend to upset you and in my naive mind thought you were seriously asking my opinion. My apologies for that. Regardless of articles, it is a well known fact that your gut is 80% of your immunity and if it is not healthy you won't be either. Most of the people here in the Holistic/Natural forum you are visiting will agree with repairing your gut health is crucial to overall health as well as being acne free. You posted here so I was replying in reference to that fact that most of us here discuss the issue of gut health all day long here.

Ohhhh, well you responded to people who were discussing acne and skin issues on an acne website so I thought you meant birth control pills affect acne in some way, but if not then great, I don't really care then yay! OK now being serious, you seem to come off as being very condescending in your posts and this is why I don't really post here much, because people read a bunch of articles on the internet and call themselves health experts. I've read many articles online also and I found that sometimes information can be very contradicting. I never asked for anyone's opinion about me, I was simply responding to the original poster. So like I said, I am currently focusing on my diet, with the help of an actual doctor, so I really don't need anymore of your "help". Please get the point and move on.

Ohhhh, well you responded to people who were discussing acne and skin issues on an acne website so I thought you meant birth control pills affect acne in some way, but if not then great, I don't really care then yay! OK now being serious, you seem to come off as being very condescending in your posts and this is why I don't really post here much, because people read a bunch of articles on the internet and call themselves health experts. I've read many articles online also and I found that sometimes information can be very contradicting. I never asked for anyone's opinion about me, I was simply responding to the original poster. So like I said, I am currently focusing on my diet, with the help of an actual doctor, so I really don't need anymore of your "help". Please get the point and move on.

That was a tad rude, she obviously already apologized for being misunderstood. And honestly this:

Sounds like a question in which you were asking for someone's opinion about other options. Which is what someone kindly provided you with and rather than thank them and say their aforementioned method wasn't for you, you decided to call them condescending and asked for an apology (which you undeserving received, in my opinion). Yes, this is a forum pertaining on a website meant as a support group for those with acne but it's called "Nutrition And Holistic Health", this forum. Not the "Don't Talk About Birth Control Because It'll Offend Other People Especially When They Ask Your Opinion Of it". If you're happy with your contraceptive method, great. But "now I'm scared to switch FYI" sounds like you were looking for reasons to.

That was a tad rude, she obviously already apologized for being misunderstood. And honestly this:

Sounds like a question in which you were asking for someone's opinion about other options. Which is what someone kindly provided you with and rather than thank them and say their aforementioned method wasn't for you, you decided to call them condescending and asked for an apology (which you undeserving received, in my opinion). Yes, this is a forum pertaining on a website meant as a support group for those with acne but it's called "Nutrition And Holistic Health", this forum. Not the "Don't Talk About Birth Control Because It'll Offend Other People Especially When They Ask Your Opinion Of it". If you're happy with your contraceptive method, great. But "now I'm scared to switch FYI" sounds like you were looking for reasons to.

It was not a legitimate question, I was being sarcastic. Some women who don't want to become pregnant take birth control pills because it is the only realistic option. I never asked for her opinion, or yours, and I certainly NEVER asked for an apology. That is just ridiculous. I responded to the original poster because she is taking the same pills as me and is having a similar response, they eventually stopped working as well as they did in the beginning. I did not post here looking for answers to questions I didn't ask, I was responding to the original poster. And in my honost opinion I thought she was being condescending, she responded to my "question", which wasn't really a question, with "Weeell, Lol, there is always the flow method, knowing when you are ovulating and avoiding intercourse at that time". To me that is a laughable response and I don't appreciate her lol-ing at me, she might as well have said that "pulling out" is a great method of birth control. What a joke. I felt she was being rude and if you think it's the other way around then I guess that's your opinion. Me and my DOCTOR will decide which method of birth control is best for me, I'm obviously not going to take the advice of someone who reads a lot of articles on the internet and I never actually intended to ask her a real question. Maybe instead of my original response to her I should have just told her I wasn't interested in her advice but thanks anyway.

What if someone doesn't break out next day, after eating something sugary or fatty, or doesn't get pimples every couple of days and gets break outs only before the menstruation? What kind of acne is that? And what is the cause?

thankyou for your help and your information, it scared me quite a bit. I really dislike being dependent on birth control yet knowing it could be doing this to me. is there anyway to help prevent it doing that? a devastating catch 22. take the pill (help with weight, no baby, help with acne, mood etc) or not take the pill with almost certain unfavourable results just to prevent permanent damage -_-

is there a certain amount of years of taking the pill that will cause this irresolvable damage ?

is there no way to repair? :/

I really think this is the spiro... talk to you doc.. You can even do a test, take one 25mg in the morning and one at night gauge results.

yes i believe so too but i dont want to be on spiro because i know im dependent on it :/ i was hoping there was a way around it without reverting back to meds :S

also myheartsholistic this is in reply to your reply but the quote didnt work :P

thankyou so much for all your help :)

i suppose my worrying issue is knowing i wont be able to heal my gut whilst still on birth control and i really dont want to get off it because my face is horrible as it is but mainly because of well, birth control, and because i dont think i can deal with coming off it and the after-effects right now at all -_- not now whilst things are so horrible its something i'd need to prepare for or at least would want a year or so of clean skin or just one day prepare for when i have a baby, if i ever do, but its really quite depressing hearing i cant help myself if im still taking the pill -_- so i wont be able to heal my gut at all? I had a look at the gaps diet and the first few steps with the broths concerned me a bit as Im very limited with food where I am living, ive never made broth before or sure how or if i can get those ingredients, seems like you'd need to do a lot of eating :/ its all a bit overwhelming everything.. what to do, certain times, what not to do that can destroy everything you do, drinking water at certain times, and personally at the same time not knowing whats really wrong. also knowing i should really be off the pill. it seems like it would be hard to do thing during the day or work or study because its all so demanding and says for 6months to 3 years :/

i think the answer im looking for isnt possible..which is..stay on the pill for the benefits overall but heal my guy and rid of acne.

when i guess anything i do, like diet wont help if ive already been taking the pill for a few years, recently this year diane and really the only thing keeping me clear was the spiro (i think..again, the diane is probably keeping me this clear right now). this sucks :( such an annoying position to be in considering everyone i see seems to have beautiful skin no matter how they live and every woman i know is on the pill. wonder what made me so different to all them to be this affected by it..its rather annoying because i never even ate sugary/junk food when i was younger because we didnt have access to that stuff, even in highschool i was the only one that pulled out apples or wholegrain sandwhiches with salad and veggies...

hm..

also i've been looking around about sauerkraut but im not sure how to approah this addition >.< are their different recipes? or one?

also myheartsholistic this is in reply to your reply but the quote didnt work tongue.png

thankyou so much for all your help smile.png

i suppose my worrying issue is knowing i wont be able to heal my gut whilst still on birth control and i really dont want to get off it because my face is horrible as it is but mainly because of well, birth control, and because i dont think i can deal with coming off it and the after-effects right now at all -_- not now whilst things are so horrible its something i'd need to prepare for or at least would want a year or so of clean skin or just one day prepare for when i have a baby, if i ever do, but its really quite depressing hearing i cant help myself if im still taking the pill -_- so i wont be able to heal my gut at all? I had a look at the gaps diet and the first few steps with the broths concerned me a bit as Im very limited with food where I am living, ive never made broth before or sure how or if i can get those ingredients, seems like you'd need to do a lot of eating :/ its all a bit overwhelming everything.. what to do, certain times, what not to do that can destroy everything you do, drinking water at certain times, and personally at the same time not knowing whats really wrong. also knowing i should really be off the pill. it seems like it would be hard to do thing during the day or work or study because its all so demanding and says for 6months to 3 years :/

i think the answer im looking for isnt possible..which is..stay on the pill for the benefits overall but heal my guy and rid of acne.

when i guess anything i do, like diet wont help if ive already been taking the pill for a few years, recently this year diane and really the only thing keeping me clear was the spiro (i think..again, the diane is probably keeping me this clear right now). this sucks sad.png such an annoying position to be in considering everyone i see seems to have beautiful skin no matter how they live and every woman i know is on the pill. wonder what made me so different to all them to be this affected by it..its rather annoying because i never even ate sugary/junk food when i was younger because we didnt have access to that stuff, even in highschool i was the only one that pulled out apples or wholegrain sandwhiches with salad and veggies...

hm..

also i've been looking around about sauerkraut but im not sure how to approah this addition >.< are their different recipes? or one?

I feel for you. Getting off birth control would have to be the right timing for you and what you decide is best for you. The reason it may seem others around you eat garbage and take birth control and do not have these issues is as human we all have different gut flora, some are born with a strong gut flora, others a weak gut flora, that may have been further damaged by stress, antibiotics, processed foods, wheats, lactose, immunizations, pollutants it can be anything that further breaks down the flora causing gut dysisbiosis. When gut dysbiosis occurs we can have a host of issues insomnia, depression, anxiety, acne, fatigue, moodiness, rash, etc etc.

With some people they have simply not had the "straw that broke the camels back." They are able to eat not good things and their gut flora is strong enough to currently maintain the onslaught. This most likely will not last forever for them though as constant abuse to the body will eventually break down the body's defenses.

The GAPS diet can seem overwhelming if you are not ready for it. I agree with you. Look into the SPECIFIC CARBOHDRATE DIET http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/legal/legal_illegal_a-c.htm

which is a MUCH easier form of GAPS. You basically choose meat and veggies options and slowly introduce probiotics. There are some great tutorials how to make your own RAW sauerkraut on youtube, if that is too hard you should be able to find it pre-made at health food (whole foods) type stores. I buy raw sauerkraut from Rejuvinative foods Cultures and started by taking 1/4 a tsp a day and working up to eating it several times a day. I understand if you cannot stop the birth control yet. I would recommend eating as healthy as possible as well as starting on probiotics (the best medicine you can get), if you are doing both of these you can help yourself tremendously, while still on birth control. Eventually you should be able to get to the point you can wean off the birth control or hopefully find other methods if you are using it as "birth control" and not just for acne. Also make sure like I said take all negative factors out like mainstream cosmetics with toxins in them as well, stay positive and always love the girl you see in the mirror. Take care of yourself! smile.png

Edited by myheartsholistic

Have you tried Saw Palmetto or Vitex? They are natural alternatives to spiro.

Have you spoken to your gynaecologist about getting a hormonal bloodwork panel done? They are not 100% accurate but can give you an idea what hormones exactly are off and by how much.

Do you think you might have PCOS?

Have you spoken to your gynaecologist about getting a hormonal bloodwork panel done? They are not 100% accurate but can give you an idea what hormones exactly are off and by how much.

would those herbs affect me at all if im on the pill? I did look into them but I also read that woman on the pill shouldnt take them, I guess I also fear that because i dont know what my hormonal imbalance is (despite knowing anti-androgens like spiro and the weak antiandrogen effect in nizoral help) that i might make things worse? also i did get my hormones checked but they came up normal but also I am on the pill and ive read its impossible to get anywhere near accurate results if taking the pill. i have been worried about pcos but im not sure, i want to get tested but again people have mentioned the tests arent too reliable. Ive never really been off a birth control pill since 16 (nearly 20) so i do fear quite a bit that coming off the pill may uncover some nasties. i hear pcos is something youre born with? and that the signs show when you hit puberty? i never had acne til i was 19..im not sure what that means for me or what happened all of a sudden to cause the change

also myheartsholistic this is in reply to your reply but the quote didnt work tongue.png

when i guess anything i do, like diet wont help if ive already been taking the pill for a few years, recently this year diane and really the only thing keeping me clear was the spiro (i think..again, the diane is probably keeping me this clear right now). this sucks sad.png such an annoying position to be in considering everyone i see seems to have beautiful skin no matter how they live and every woman i know is on the pill. wonder what made me so different to all them to be this affected by it..its rather annoying because i never even ate sugary/junk food when i was younger because we didnt have access to that stuff, even in highschool i was the only one that pulled out apples or wholegrain sandwhiches with salad and veggies...

hm..

I feel for you. Getting off birth control would have to be the right timing for you and what you decide is best for you. The reason it may seem others around you eat garbage and take birth control and do not have these issues is as human we all have different gut flora, some are born with a strong gut flora, others a weak gut flora, that may have been further damaged by stress, antibiotics, processed foods, wheats, lactose, immunizations, pollutants it can be anything that further breaks down the flora causing gut dysisbiosis. When gut dysbiosis occurs we can have a host of issues insomnia, depression, anxiety, acne, fatigue, moodiness, rash, etc etc.

With some people they have simply not had the "straw that broke the camels back." They are able to eat not good things and their gut flora is strong enough to currently maintain the onslaught. This most likely will not last forever for them though as constant abuse to the body will eventually break down the body's defenses.

The GAPS diet can seem overwhelming if you are not ready for it. I agree with you. Look into the SPECIFIC CARBOHDRATE DIET http://www.breakingt...illegal_a-c.htm

which is a MUCH easier form of GAPS. You basically choose meat and veggies options and slowly introduce probiotics. There are some great tutorials how to make your own RAW sauerkraut on youtube, if that is too hard you should be able to find it pre-made at health food (whole foods) type stores. I buy raw sauerkraut from Rejuvinative foods Cultures and started by taking 1/4 a tsp a day and working up to eating it several times a day. I understand if you cannot stop the birth control yet. I would recommend eating as healthy as possible as well as starting on probiotics (the best medicine you can get), if you are doing both of these you can help yourself tremendously, while still on birth control. Eventually you should be able to get to the point you can wean off the birth control or hopefully find other methods if you are using it as "birth control" and not just for acne. Also make sure like I said take all negative factors out like mainstream cosmetics with toxins in them as well, stay positive and always love the girl you see in the mirror. Take care of yourself! smile.png

thanks again for your help. I have been taking probiotics everyday for about a month now and i'll look into getting sauerkraut. i was curious as if it is possible for me to cure my gut whilst on birth control or would i be losing the battle either way? i was a bit scared by the thought that the pill can essentially create irreversible damage in my gut like you mentioned but is that possible to avoid ?

is perhaps diane not keeping me clear because my gut is unhealthy? what might that mean why diane isnt keeping me clear when both diane and spiro used to used?..well spiro i guess. i know i have hormonal issues of course but is that because im sensitive to things like stress for example and things like other hormones that affect acne mostly or because my gut is letting the natural hormones and or diane work properly?

i'll have a decent read of both the gaps and the other diet mentioned. what would be your overall all advice for any diet..just lots of veggies, avoiding complex carbs, fruit eating by itself, animal protein like salmon and or chicken? eggs .. any seeds or nuts? im also curious your history with acne..are you still suffering? also thankyou for your kind words, you're very understanding :)

would those herbs affect me at all if im on the pill? I did look into them but I also read that woman on the pill shouldnt take them, I guess I also fear that because i dont know what my hormonal imbalance is (despite knowing anti-androgens like spiro and the weak antiandrogen effect in nizoral help) that i might make things worse? also i did get my hormones checked but they came up normal but also I am on the pill and ive read its impossible to get anywhere near accurate results if taking the pill. i have been worried about pcos but im not sure, i want to get tested but again people have mentioned the tests arent too reliable. Ive never really been off a birth control pill since 16 (nearly 20) so i do fear quite a bit that coming off the pill may uncover some nasties. i hear pcos is something youre born with? and that the signs show when you hit puberty? i never had acne til i was 19..im not sure what that means for me or what happened all of a sudden to cause the change

hm..

The GAPS diet can seem overwhelming if you are not ready for it. I agree with you. Look into the SPECIFIC CARBOHDRATE DIET http://www.breakingt...illegal_a-c.htm

thanks again for your help. I have been taking probiotics everyday for about a month now and i'll look into getting sauerkraut. i was curious as if it is possible for me to cure my gut whilst on birth control or would i be losing the battle either way? i was a bit scared by the thought that the pill can essentially create irreversible damage in my gut like you mentioned but is that possible to avoid ?

is perhaps diane not keeping me clear because my gut is unhealthy? what might that mean why diane isnt keeping me clear when both diane and spiro used to used?..well spiro i guess. i know i have hormonal issues of course but is that because im sensitive to things like stress for example and things like other hormones that affect acne mostly or because my gut is letting the natural hormones and or diane work properly?

i'll have a decent read of both the gaps and the other diet mentioned. what would be your overall all advice for any diet..just lots of veggies, avoiding complex carbs, fruit eating by itself, animal protein like salmon and or chicken? eggs .. any seeds or nuts? im also curious your history with acne..are you still suffering? also thankyou for your kind words, you're very understanding smile.png

No Problem. The fact is over the years of antibiotic use, birth control use, bad diet, stress, etc It will lead to gut dysbiosis which means the bad bacteria has overtaken the healthy good bacteria. Staying on birth control will ultimately be a decision you have to make. These things do affect our hormones and health, with that said, if you are not ready to wean off them yet than you would want to try to rebuild your gut health as much as possible by focusing on grass fed meats, chicken, salmon, soft cooked veggies, soup broths and probiotics (raw sauerkraut or lactose free yogurt). Your focus should be on easily digestible foods, the harder the food is to digest it will sit in your digestive tract and become food for the bad guys. Sugars are terrible, so I would avoid sugars of any kind (honey in moderation as a sweetener).

My list of good foods would be..............

Meats (chicken, beef, turkey, lamb etc)

Fish

soft cooked veggies

fruit

almonds (soaked is best)- nuts are still pretty hard on digestion so if you can soak them in a jar overnight it is the best way to go

coconut

coconut flour (to bake biscuits, cakes, crackers etc)

coconut oil

olive oil

grass fed organic butter

organic eggs

soup broths (home made, so easy to make and so good for your gut!)

AVOID-

sugar (any kind white, brown, artificial, agave etc)

processed box foods (pretty much anything in a package)

wheat/corn/oats/barley/spelt etc

fake butters/oils

liquid dairy milk (I personally recommend avoiding dairy of all kinds for a few weeks and then introducing back in and seeing how you do with it, but milk should be avoided due to the lactose which is a hard to digest milk sugar)

certain starches like sweet potatoes, potatoes

An idea of food menus is breakfast........

scrambled eggs with onion, broccoli, etc, organic breakfast sausage (no sugar) or organic bacon

Lunch.........

homemade chicken tenders (dip in egg, dip in almond or coconut flour, put on cookie sheet, drizzle with olive oil and salt)

sauteed green beans and garlic

fruit if you like

Dinner.........

Pot Roast with carrots and onions or Eggplant parmesan with meat sauce

sauteed broccoli with basil and garlic

etc etc

I also make desserts like cake, cookies and even pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving using almond flour, honey etc.

What it comes down to is, I wouldn't focus too much on if it is hormonal, pcos (which I was diagnosed with), etc etc As all of these things stem from malnutrition and a damaged gut, once you start working on your gut through the things mentioned you should start to see everything start to fall into place. Your gut is the core of your health so if you work on that you will in essence fix the other issues as well.

I have had acne since I was a teenager up until about 3-5 years ago now my face is clear unless I start another strong dose of probiotics then I temporarily break out with a pimple here and there but I am clear 98% of the time due to cleaning up my diet and watching what I put on my skin topically. I had a horrible diet, my mother had health problems (all stemming from a bad gut environment which she passed onto me). This is all being reversed due to working on my gut health through the GAPS DIET/SCD DIET. It has been a life saver to me, our whole family follows this diet and has seen amazing results in not only our skin, but our body, health and mind. Doing any changes to your diet and body will help you, I have no doubt about that. Good luck! You can IM me for recipes etc, I would love to help!~ :)

It's really pretty simple... getting pregnant requires semen, which means you have one or two options....

1) Don't let your guy finish inside if you. My partner and I have used this method for years with no issues. It takes willpower, but he just pulls out. If you pull out every time and avoid sex around the time you are ovulating then the chances of impregnation are low. Remember, people try and try to get pregnant, sometimes for months before something sticks.

2)If you don't trust your guy to do this, are not in a committed relationship or just want extra protection then you should use condoms. Condoms are the only really sure way, if there is such a thing. The only really sure way is to never have intercourse.

But yeah, pull out method works for us.

You're someone who could definitely benefit from visiting a naturopath and getting some blood work done to test for possible intolerances and underlying allergies rather than just direct allergies.

The pullout method.. god that is such horrible advice for a young lady. Use a condom if you'd off the pill. As a guy I wouldn't even use the pullout method even if she said it was okay.. Last thing I want is little baby moonbases running around

Edited by moonbase

hm..

i'll have a decent read of both the gaps and the other diet mentioned. what would be your overall all advice for any diet..just lots of veggies, avoiding complex carbs, fruit eating by itself, animal protein like salmon and or chicken? eggs .. any seeds or nuts? im also curious your history with acne..are you still suffering? also thankyou for your kind words, you're very understanding smile.png

No Problem. The fact is over the years of antibiotic use, birth control use, bad diet, stress, etc It will lead to gut dysbiosis which means the bad bacteria has overtaken the healthy good bacteria. Staying on birth control will ultimately be a decision you have to make. These things do affect our hormones and health, with that said, if you are not ready to wean off them yet than you would want to try to rebuild your gut health as much as possible by focusing on grass fed meats, chicken, salmon, soft cooked veggies, soup broths and probiotics (raw sauerkraut or lactose free yogurt). Your focus should be on easily digestible foods, the harder the food is to digest it will sit in your digestive tract and become food for the bad guys. Sugars are terrible, so I would avoid sugars of any kind (honey in moderation as a sweetener).

My list of good foods would be..............

Meats (chicken, beef, turkey, lamb etc)

Fish

soft cooked veggies

fruit

almonds (soaked is best)- nuts are still pretty hard on digestion so if you can soak them in a jar overnight it is the best way to go

coconut

coconut flour (to bake biscuits, cakes, crackers etc)

coconut oil

olive oil

grass fed organic butter

organic eggs

soup broths (home made, so easy to make and so good for your gut!)

AVOID-

sugar (any kind white, brown, artificial, agave etc)

processed box foods (pretty much anything in a package)

wheat/corn/oats/barley/spelt etc

fake butters/oils

liquid dairy milk (I personally recommend avoiding dairy of all kinds for a few weeks and then introducing back in and seeing how you do with it, but milk should be avoided due to the lactose which is a hard to digest milk sugar)

certain starches like sweet potatoes, potatoes

An idea of food menus is breakfast........

scrambled eggs with onion, broccoli, etc, organic breakfast sausage (no sugar) or organic bacon

Lunch.........

homemade chicken tenders (dip in egg, dip in almond or coconut flour, put on cookie sheet, drizzle with olive oil and salt)

sauteed green beans and garlic

fruit if you like

Dinner.........

Pot Roast with carrots and onions or Eggplant parmesan with meat sauce

sauteed broccoli with basil and garlic

etc etc

I also make desserts like cake, cookies and even pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving using almond flour, honey etc.

What it comes down to is, I wouldn't focus too much on if it is hormonal, pcos (which I was diagnosed with), etc etc As all of these things stem from malnutrition and a damaged gut, once you start working on your gut through the things mentioned you should start to see everything start to fall into place. Your gut is the core of your health so if you work on that you will in essence fix the other issues as well.

I have had acne since I was a teenager up until about 3-5 years ago now my face is clear unless I start another strong dose of probiotics then I temporarily break out with a pimple here and there but I am clear 98% of the time due to cleaning up my diet and watching what I put on my skin topically. I had a horrible diet, my mother had health problems (all stemming from a bad gut environment which she passed onto me). This is all being reversed due to working on my gut health through the GAPS DIET/SCD DIET. It has been a life saver to me, our whole family follows this diet and has seen amazing results in not only our skin, but our body, health and mind. Doing any changes to your diet and body will help you, I have no doubt about that. Good luck! You can IM me for recipes etc, I would love to help!~ smile.png

thankyou :)

I bought some sauerkraut yesterday :) would you be able to help me out on some soup broth recipes. I used reference to that website you sent me about the chicken/fish stock by boiling the bones/joints and letting it simmer for 2-3 hours. the butcher suggested i used what was i believe the necks of chickens :/ they were really fatty though so i chopped off all the fat. i literally couldnt eat/drink it because it was basically oil it was so so fatty, i assume form the chicken necks so i had to chuck it out there was no way i was going to put that in my body if i was unsure. i was hoping maybe you knew some recipes of good broths/soups i could follow instead of slight guesswork hehe

also is is possible to take too many probiotics? im also curious your thoughts on organic rice milk?

my problem area for my breakouts are almost always my forehead and chin/jaw but lately my nose has about 5 pimples on it with lots of small ones all around it and above my mouth..its quite weird, i always read people saying their problem areas are the usual chin,cheek,jaw,forehead.. i never really come across with nose acne :/

anyways thankyou again for your help. just another quick thing ;) is olive oil just as good as coconut oil or is it just a healthier option instead of say vegetable oil?

You're someone who could definitely benefit from visiting a naturopath and getting some blood work done to test for possible intolerances and underlying allergies rather than just direct allergies.

i definitely must ,even just for peace of mind. I've never had any allergies in the past so i'll definitely be curious if i do now. I have this idea that im allergic to eggs, i eat them everyday because we have (and love) our chickens (ha) but the past few weeks everytime i ate the egg my face seemed to change about an hour later. but at the same time i also added black pepper and turmeric to it so it could be those im not sure, i dont like black pepper but heard you need it to absorb the turmeric. both things i also use on fish and dont really see the difference like with eggs...might just be in my head though after eating an egg worrying things will get inflamed or something :S

anyways sorry little rant.

The pullout method.. god that is such horrible advice for a young lady. Use a condom if you'd off the pill. As a guy I wouldn't even use the pullout method even if she said it was okay.. Last thing I want is little baby moonbases running around

I'm just saying, it has worked without problems for us for years. I'm not saying that we haven't gotten lucky, just that the chances are low. Pregnancy requires semen.

If you notice, my post wasn't "use the pull out method" it was, the pull out method has worked for me BUT use a condom if you want extra protection...

Let me tell you a story.

The penis can have semen trapped inside the shaft.. during intercourse.. fluid from the prostate is released to basically clean the tubes for the impending release.. so if your man has masturbated recently and has not urinated (urin will clear the pipes) the trapped semen can impregnate you if he doesn't finish inside.

I thought i got a girl pregnant using the pull out method.. scared the living shit out of me.. and studying ensued.

Whatever works for you.. thats fine, but to recommend such a careless method of control is another :)

Just sayin'

Edited by moonbase

*repeats for a second time* That's why I didn't recommend it... I recommended condoms if she wants to be really safe. But seriously, even condoms fail sometimes.

The penis can have semen trapped inside the shaft.. during intercourse.. fluid from the prostate is released to basically clean the tubes for the impending release.. so if your man has masturbated recently and has not urinated (urin will clear the pipes) the trapped semen can impregnate you if he doesn't finish inside.