Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jaimie32

Old As Dirt On Accutane!

Alright, maybe not as old as dirt, but far older than many on Accutane at 35 years!

I started 10/28/11 at 30 mgs. I am now on 40 mg once a day for the past week. If you want to skip the hx, jump to the bottom, but ladies might relate to this history.

Here it is: I really can't say I had an acne problem as a teen. I did breakout, and when I did it was always cystic. Big ,painful and blind ones that would last for a month or more. Yes, I had blackheads ,white heads and all, but not severe acne, or maybe I just think

it wasn't that bad back then because of how bad it got i my 20's? Anyway, it was not severe in my teen years.

I started having major issues with my skin in my 20's. I tried so many things to make it stop on my own before consulting a dermatologist. I changed shampoos, conditioners, soaps,washed my clothes in dye and fragrance free detergent , stopped use of all perfumes,lotions, blah, blah blah.I even started to wash my hair in the sink and tie it up in the shower so the shampoo or conditioner wouldn't get on my face, chest or back.Nothing worked.So I started with doctors. Lots of bloodwork tests,skin scrapings and prescriptions!! Every kind of birthcontrol imaginable was tried.Then no birth control. I have been on every topical-clindamycin foam, duac,benzaclin,differin,ziana,sulfur topicals,aczone,cortizone creams and other prescription creams. I have been on antibiotics with endless refills-Doxy,bactrim/septra,Zithromax and I know there are others, can't remember them all. I was diagnosed with Lyme disease in 2001, so that also required months of doxycycline, and was again diagnosed in 2006, and 2009 with Lyme.That is its own topic altogether.

I have scarring not only from acne on my face, chest and back, but also from the constant cortzone injections from my derm at the time.My liver was becoming damaged from the constant antibiotics, Also I was getting symptoms of auto immune diseases, which one of my doctors,an infectious disease dr., said may be from antibiotics. I changed dermatologists because I asked my derm,"isn't there anything else I can do, I am 35 years old, shouldn't this stop?" and his reply was," antibiotics, no topical will work because it is systemic" so I said "what about accutane?" His reply was 5 cortizone injections, a 6 month script for Doxycycline, and " we don't give Accutane here"

So I went to a new derm after researching. He said that I have tried every avenue over a 10+ year period, and that he could either do the same as the last, or try Accutane. So here I am!

So far, at almost 1 month, this is what I am experiencing:

major dry skin-lips, face ,hands,scalp and eyes.I had dry skin to begin with, go figure! Maybe because of the topicals I was on?I am talkin so dry I have to peel the loose dead skin with tweezers b4 I put on makeup!Aquaphor on the lips, aquaphor on the face(gross) plus Clinique allergy relief cream on the face and Cetaphil moisture cream on top, and still dry!

I am developing burning, itchy Eczema on my hands and inner wrists, as well as my scalp, using hydrocortizone cream on hairline and hands as well as Aquaphor.

My bones are crunching and cracking alot. Everytime I move. An ankle, wrist, elbow, but mostly my hip, knees, neck and shoulder.Lovely, right? They cracked before tane, just more now. My kids look horrified every time I move,I keep joking that I am breaking pencils,lol!

Yes, I will talk to my derm about this.

My circulation in my hands has gotten bad, don't know if anyone is familiar with Reynaud's Disease? I had it anyway before tane, but now when it's 50 degrees, I have to wear gloves , or my fingers turn white and numb.It always happened if my hands were exposed to really cold temps for 10 mins or more, and my start of tane began when the temps started getting colder.

I don't seem to be getting the big, painful, under the skin lumps that I did before I started, but I am not getting my hopes up yet because I am just nearing the 1 month mark.

Hi Jaimie, Good luck on your course :) Have you put any pics up? As embarrasing as mine are right now I think it will help me to see the improvement (hopefully!!!) in the future... I've just started myself (day 9) and find posting/reading on here has helped a lot... x x

Hi Jaime!!! I've got you beat, I'm 41 on my third course of accutane:) best of luck to you. Accutane is a real life changer, you're a going to look amazing.

Hi Jaime!!! I've got you beat, I'm 41 on my third course of accutane:) best of luck to you. Accutane is a real life changer, you're a going to look amazing.

Wowsers...Is that you in your profile pic??.... 41??! You look incredible!!! whats your secret... TELL ME NOW haha x x

Welcome Jaimie! There are actually quite a few others around here in the 30+ club (I'm fast approaching 33 and completion of my first and hopefully only course). I had a similar situation as you - skin was fine as a teenager with the occassionally painful cyst but in my twenties things went haywire. Then it took 10 years to finally get to the point of Accutane.

Alot of people on here have reported dry, rashy hands and a lot of the time it goes away after the first month or two (not always - we're all different). The Norwegian formula Neutrogena hand cream helped me through it. As for the scalp - have you switched to a special dry scalp shampoo yet? That should help quite a bit if you haven't tried it yet.

Good luck with your course!!!

Hello I'm 22 & about to start roaccutane (I'm from the uk).I have my prescriptions in the cupboard but I'm going have a tca peel in a weeks time to try & help the scars. I've had one peel which seems to have closed my pores but has aggrevated my active acne. I was reluctant to try the roaccutane after what I have read but its apparently very effective. I've suffered with acne from the age of 13 but pregnancy made it considerably worse. I look forward to following everybodies journeys :)

Hi Jaimie, Good luck on your course smile.png Have you put any pics up? As embarrasing as mine are right now I think it will help me to see the improvement (hopefully!!!) in the future... I've just started myself (day 9) and find posting/reading on here has helped a lot... x x

I have pics, but haven't put em up yet. I'm not quite brave enough. Kudos to you for doing it! I envy you. Thank you for the good luck wishes! Keep me posted on how ur doing, k?

Welcome Jaimie! There are actually quite a few others around here in the 30+ club (I'm fast approaching 33 and completion of my first and hopefully only course). I had a similar situation as you - skin was fine as a teenager with the occassionally painful cyst but in my twenties things went haywire. Then it took 10 years to finally get to the point of Accutane.

Alot of people on here have reported dry, rashy hands and a lot of the time it goes away after the first month or two (not always - we're all different). The Norwegian formula Neutrogena hand cream helped me through it. As for the scalp - have you switched to a special dry scalp shampoo yet? That should help quite a bit if you haven't tried it yet.

Good luck with your course!!!

The rash is starting to subside! Thank you for the recommendation on the hand cream, gonna pick that up! I hate to hear that you have gone through what I have, but I it makes me feel less alone, so thank you! I am using a shampoo for dry scalp and conditioning like crazy, I guess I'll have to take the bad with the good? lol!

While I am saddened to hear that you had to take Accutane twice before, I admire how positive you are! And from one woman to another, you are beautiful!

May I ask how long you waited between each treatment?