Poll: Are All Grains Bad?

MemberMember
(@vapor1)

Posted : 11/21/2011 10:03 pm

and why

MemberMember
(@moonbase)

Posted : 11/21/2011 10:05 pm

Lectins, anti nutrients, and they are not very nutrient dense.

MemberMember
(@myheartsholistic)

Posted : 11/21/2011 11:14 pm

Lectins, anti nutrients, and they are not very nutrient dense.

Agreed.

MemberMember
(@tunnelvisionary)

Posted : 11/21/2011 11:55 pm

I find if you're having trouble replacing bread initially, sourdough bread isn't too bad of a replacement.

Been doing much better in lots of areas of my health since I stopped consuming so much bread. Been having rice here and there, but that hasn't been too bad so far.

MemberMember
(@vapor1)

Posted : 11/22/2011 12:25 am

^ yeah, i just eat oats and rice here and there, but no gluten. That seems to be the main problem for me. most palo people, though, don't eat any grains because they think they're all bad

MemberMember
(@chunkylard)

Posted : 11/22/2011 12:32 am

Oats and brown rice are decent. I still wouldn't call them healthy, but they're decent.

MemberMember
(@facevalues)

Posted : 11/22/2011 12:39 am

What about wild rice, basmati, and jasmine rice?

MemberMember
(@thehoper)

Posted : 11/22/2011 1:33 am

I love grains but just cut them all out myself. They were still causing my skin problems here and there even if they are organic gluten free etc. but mostly I cut them out because they literally make me feel tired, foggy brain, and I get really jittery/anxiety, I'm just not meant to eat them lol. I just get all my carbs from tubers, fruit and veggies.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 11/22/2011 11:04 am

All I can say is what happened to me. Cutting out gluten reduced most of my acne, but I still had mild acne and other health problems. It wasn't until I went completely grain free that I went from the reduced acne path to the literally acne free path.

You don't need them at all health wise, and it's no loss, so people who are worried about it might as well cut them out in my opinion. You'd be better off replacing those calories with something more nutrient dense anyway.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 11/22/2011 11:57 am

Your poll doesn't have the right options. They aren't 'good' but there are positives and negatives in nearly all foods. And how 'bad' they are varies with the gluten grains being the amongst the worst along with some legumes like soy and peanuts all because of their lectin content amount-wise and what those lectins do to you.

Rice is pretty benign with oats being a close second.

MemberMember
(@borie88)

Posted : 11/22/2011 12:07 pm

I find that buckwheat does not do harm to me. That, oats, and rice are the only grains I'll eat and only on occasion

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 11/22/2011 4:45 pm

^And buckwheat, like quinoa, amaranth isn't a grain, they are seeds of plants similar to/related to spinach. Seeds of all sorts are the biggest sources of lectins in the diet.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 11/22/2011 5:39 pm

Lectin content of common cereal grains. For our purposes, you can consider prolamin/prolamines to be synonyms for lectins although it really isn't that simple. It never is. I've also read that it's the lectins that they are swapping around when genetically modifying things...

Grain - Prolamin - % of Total protein

Wheat - Gliadin - 69%

Barley - Hordein - 50%

Rye - Secalinin - 30-50%

Corn- Zien - 55%

Millet - Panicin - 40%

Sorgum - Kafirin - 52%

Oats - Avenim - 16%

Rice - Orzenin - 5%

This article states that the prolamin content of buckwheat is less than 5% http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=19362.0 scroll down to post #4 or go to the pdf http://lnmcp.mf.uni-lj.si/Fago/SYMPO/2001sympoEach/2001s-629.pdf

http://is.gd/yEBrca indicates that the prolamine concentration of quinoa is just above 3%. . However, quinoa is also coated with saponins that harm the digestive tract. But that's the bitter coating that you are removing in rinsing. The dispute is whether you get it all off. It's possible that industrial rinsing does a better job, hopefully without harming the nutrient content of the seed, because they use the saponins for pesticides.

MemberMember
(@borie88)

Posted : 11/22/2011 8:01 pm

So rice, oats, quinoa, and buckwheat have the least? What is quinoa related to? My throat gets itchy when I eat it

MemberMember
(@vapor1)

Posted : 11/23/2011 1:30 pm

the only grain I really eat a lot of is oats - specifically oatmeal (no sugar) and homemade granola w/ maple syrup. THis hasn't been a problem. I am still unsure about rice. The times i have eaten it seemed to coincide with minor breakouts, but I can't be sure it was the rice. I don't eat much of it nonetheless. Quinoa is disgusting though. I don't know how anyone can stand that bitter taste. even when rinsed, it's still pretty strong.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 11/23/2011 1:42 pm

^And buckwheat, like quinoa, amaranth isn't a grain, they are seeds of plants similar to/related to spinach. Seeds of all sorts are the biggest sources of lectins in the diet.

I found this out awhile ago and was really hopeful, but I tested all of them and I react the same as to rice/other grains. It sucks because I really miss quinoa. :(

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 11/27/2011 11:48 am

So rice, oats, quinoa, and buckwheat have the least? What is quinoa related to? My throat gets itchy when I eat it

Quinoa and amaranth are related to spinach.

Quinoa is disgusting though. I don't know how anyone can stand that bitter taste. even when rinsed, it's still pretty strong.

There's no bitter taste in my quinoa.

MemberMember
(@user142279)

Posted : 11/27/2011 1:28 pm

Yeah, I have some rice and oats every now and then, my mom has been making filipino food more often, so that means rice. I have oats when I'm in a big rush in the morning and don't have time to make a green smoothie. I haven't had any problems with them.

MemberMember
(@fakeplasticgirl)

Posted : 11/27/2011 4:33 pm

I'll eat oatmeal and quinoa on occasion, but that's about it.

MemberMember
(@sdr-wellnesscoach)

Posted : 11/27/2011 6:14 pm

the only grain I really eat a lot of is oats - specifically oatmeal (no sugar) and homemade granola w/ maple syrup. THis hasn't been a problem. I am still unsure about rice. The times i have eaten it seemed to coincide with minor breakouts, but I can't be sure it was the rice. I don't eat much of it nonetheless. Quinoa is disgusting though. I don't know how anyone can stand that bitter taste. even when rinsed, it's still pretty strong.

Is the Rice you eat Gluten Free? The grocery store I go to only has Minute-Ready to Serve rice that is Gluten Free. All others contain Wheat and/or Soy. I eat it everyday.

MemberMember
(@vapor1)

Posted : 11/27/2011 8:01 pm

i guess i never looked at the packet because I assumed it was GF... I'll have to check

MemberMember
(@autonomousone1980)

Posted : 12/16/2011 12:51 am

the proliferation of the human race can possibly be attributed to domesticated wheat, we have eaten it for at least 30,000 years, it had become a staple 10,000 years ago.

the proposed anti-nutrients may have a minor negative impact on mineral balance, but so does fructose and its in fruit so is fruit bad too, answer is no. and some of the antinutrient properties of these chemicals also have health benefits, so the arguments and the available evidence for and against grains are not clear cut.

citrus fruits also have citric acid, which can take the calcium off your teeth and also bind to other minerals.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 10/30/2012 12:20 am

Bump.

I can't seem to figure out what is causing my acne. If i cut out all grains, and just eat meats/veggies/fruits i am literally dying/starving everyday.

If i eat too much fat (i.e. coconut oil, olive oil, avocado), i still get acne.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 10/30/2012 8:00 am

I wouldn't call any food "bad"

No food, unless you are allergic or something will have any kind of long term effect on the body if only consuming it just the once or in small amounts.

It is excessive unbalanced consumption of food that causes the issues. To say this food is good and that food is bad is not an accurate description.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 10/30/2012 8:53 am

Bump.

I can't seem to figure out what is causing my acne. If i cut out all grains, and just eat meats/veggies/fruits i am literally dying/starving everyday.

If i eat too much fat (i.e. coconut oil, olive oil, avocado), i still get acne.

I think you are being to obsessive about it.

Your acne may not even be diet related.

All i can say is just eat better choices. Choose nutrient dense foods over processed. Overall this will give you better health and you won't be starving.

Regardless, eating balanced and intelligently is a good rule of thumb. Life is there to be enjoyed and if you allow acne to control you then your just existing and not living