Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have never posted before due to the fact that I am not exactly what you would consider a social butterfly.. I have been reading posts on this site for the past few months now, and well... I really just cant say enough about the amount of support and inspiration that I obtained through reading what others have shared about the exact hardship in which I too face in my everyday life... So Thank You All!

With that said... I have a question, all responses welcome. Here it goes.

For me anyways, acne has been a constant struggle for nearly 11 years. (im 23, Male) Acne has damaged me emotionally, and thats something that I am dealing with everyday. I just think want to shine some light on the damaging aspects, as well as suggest postive solutions. This this thread is random I know.. But there is so much I would like to ask, share, and listen to.

I guess I would like to know... In those darkest hours... what is that lets you get through that next day? What is your comfort to this acne that plagues us?

For me its like something takes over, and i become this person, this generic personality, this human body that is barely capable of functioning on auto pilot. COULD ALL this be due to acne?

I think that often we use our acne as an excuse to why we are unhappy, when in reality it is a matter of choice of how we want to feel about ourselves. That - how we view our self - is always up to us. Let me share with you a direct post that I made on a disconsolate girl's forum a week ago:

"On a more serious, and much deeper note, you are more than you're acne! And I mean this will all seriousness. I have less confidence that you or any person for that matter will believe me when I say this but, who you are is not how you look. That will never change. Never forget that. I know in life, its very easy to think that finding people who are attracted to us is the most important thing, but can you really say that's all there is to you, your face? I for one, having never known you or met you, know that the answer to that is "no." You inherently are, always have been, and forever will be something much greater."

The same goes to you, bud. The same goes to all of us. You will always have a choice.

Edited by Alex Urig

Acne has altared my mind for sure, it has made me constantly think of what people think of me and that is a killer because it is hard to get through the day sometimes. I am almost clear now and I am slowly working on my social skills now but I must say it's not easy im going to need a lot of pratice. Over the years acne has destroyed my greatest personallity traits and has made me who I am today(hate who i am today)

P.s. I use to be an outgoing guy, the class clown.

Ahhhh.. that's a toughy! It's not easy by any means. I think for me my motivators of hope come from this site and from trying something new to help my skin. I get excited at the thought of it potentially being the answer I've been looking for and it pushes me forward one more day in hopes that that day will be the day my skin improves.

Acne has altared my mind for sure, it has made me constantly think of what people think of me and that is a killer because it is hard to get through the day sometimes. I am almost clear now and I am slowly working on my social skills now but I must say it's not easy im going to need a lot of pratice. Over the years acne has destroyed my greatest personallity traits and has made me who I am today(hate who i am today)

P.s. I use to be an outgoing guy, the class clown.

You hit it right on the head my friend... I was always the shy reserved type, but then acne hit. I developed this offensive/defensive obnoxious personality on occasion, that I now am understanding is just one of the traits that in my opinion all stem from acne repercussions.To compensate for the insecurities I suppose. Im just trying to understand the root cause since most doctors are as oblivious to it as the rest of us. Thanks also to the previous member who answered.....

I think that often we use our acne as an excuse to why we are unhappy, when in reality it is a matter of choice of how we want to feel about ourselves. That - how we view our self - is always up to us. Let me share with you a direct post that I made on a disconsolate girl's forum a week ago:

"On a more serious, and much deeper note, you are more than you're acne! And I mean this will all seriousness. I have less confidence that you or any person for that matter will believe me when I say this but, who you are is not how you look. That will never change. Never forget that. I know in life, its very easy to think that finding people who are attracted to us is the most important thing, but can you really say that's all there is to you, your face? I for one, having never known you or met you, know that the answer to that is "no." You inherently are, always have been, and forever will be something much greater."

The same goes to you, bud. The same goes to all of us. You will always have a choice.

"I think that often we use our acne as an excuse to why we are unhappy, when in reality it is a matter of choice of how we want to feel about ourselves. That - how we view our self - is always up to us." I have often thought that myself, honestly, but is that to say acne itself is not a damaging enough aspect in one life? To me it has become more than just vanity.. Regardless of what most ppl would say... the fact of the matter is acceptance really is important, as are first impressions, and confidence in general. Thanks you again for the words of wisdom.

Well I usually stay up til 5 a.m. looking at my skin and thinking about my skin so by that time I'm really tired and my body shuts down and fall asleep. Then when I wake up I emmediately think about my skin and rush to the mirror to examine it. I get depressed and constantly think about my skin the rest of the day and stay up late (5.a.m.-6.a.m. trying to research online what will fix my skin problems.) Then the cycle goes like that over and over again. And I make it though the next day but, when I do a skin treatment and fail, I get extremely depressed and feel like I cannot make it to the next day, then I start writing my last letter to my family, and I get sleepy so I fall asleep and forget about it the next morning.

The end of the day is the hardest.

Well I usually stay up til 5 a.m. looking at my skin and thinking about my skin so by that time I'm really tired and my body shuts down and fall asleep. Then when I wake up I emmediately think about my skin and rush to the mirror to examine it. I get depressed and constantly think about my skin the rest of the day and stay up late (5.a.m.-6.a.m. trying to research online what will fix my skin problems.) Then the cycle goes like that over and over again. And I make it though the next day but, when I do a skin treatment and fail, I get extremely depressed and feel like I cannot make it to the next day, then I start writing my last letter to my family, and I get sleepy so I fall asleep and forget about it the next morning.

The end of the day is the hardest.

YESSSS! Those restless nights....I wish I could say that they were few and far between but.... I too am drawn to mirrors(wanna deny my reflection). There is nothing more disheartening than a failed treatment, but I am by no means incapacitated.. I work, I have a GF, but its just I feel theres so much I mask. As much as i wanna believe its as easy as pretending acne doesnt exist, it not. I DO believe that acne has the ability to impact a persons character until eventually it grows into your personality unwillingly. Difficult, but I DO/ REALLY DO try to make the best things.

Guys, just a thought, sleep is SUPER important to not only your body's overall health, but the immune system, and your skin quality. A healthy immune system is also something that gives us healthy skin. I feel for you if you're staying up late stressing about acne; I know, I've done it before. But if you are staying up late stressing about it night after night, that could be a contributing factor to making your acne worse, or not get better!

Browse over this article if you have time and it really emphasizes the reasons that sleep is essential to good skin health:

http://www.skincare-news.com/a-2437-A_Good_Nightrsquos_Sleep_for_Great_Skin.aspx

... Oh and I'm not advocating you buy any of those products, just that sleep is important. Happy holidays y'all!

OP, I am so sorry :( I can definitely sympathize with a lot of this.

I don't really know how to answer your question because I'm still figuring it out. I think the thing that helps the most is trying to distract yourself and getting immersed in the moments where you lose self-consciousness. Maybe watch a very absorbing show, read a very absorbing book - try to help somebody else with their problems instead so you can better forget about your own. In the end, keep reminding yourself that all this will pass because it's a vast statistical likelihood that it will.

I believe that how much we suffer with our acne is directly proportionate to our mental, emotional, psychological strength. Kinda the same as any other affliction. Which is why we all deal with it differently. I'm able to use humor and distraction to cope. For other people I know they can't muster up a smile when they're down the cosmic bunny hole. Happiness is subjective and I'd be skeptical if someone was miserable with acne and blissful when they cleared up.

Um, having to pay bills. Responsibilities. Studying hard so I don't end up a poor miserable shit with bad skin is enough motivation to continue with my education. I don't know. It takes one bad angle in a mirror to ruin my day, and when that happens I just come home and take a nap. I guess I wake up feeling a little better.

Edited by Heir