Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
carmusen

Speaking In Front Of The Class?!

OMG ever since I found out I have a Spanish presentation (that was 3 weeks ago), I've been having day- and nightmares about it! FUCK. Admittedly the biggest fear I have is me standing in front of the class while my partner downloads the Powerpoint presentation and the whole class looking at me as they wait, criticizing my pimples and acne scars!

FUCK. But it's not just that. I hate hate hate hate hate public speaking. My face gets hot and numb, blood rushes up my eyes, and my lips tremble. People think I'm crying. Ugh. I know no one among my classmates is going to pay attention and I shouldn't worry too much, but I can't help it, ya know?!

I've tried so many techniques. Breathing, meditating, etc. They all work BEFORE the presentation. But once I'm up there, all hell breaks loose mentally. KILL ME NOW!!!!

I'M DRINKING VODKA BEFORE THE PRESENTATION!

Edited by carmusen

Hey don't sweat it! I actually just got home from my communcations class today and today we had to present our informative specches and guess what there was a girl who was presenting today and she had severe acne, scars and all like it was preety bad. We have to present alone also. I am telling you from my point of view and the classrooms point of view that no one gave one shit that this girl had bad acne, they may have looked at just the acne at the start but didn't judge her because of her acne at all. So please concentrate on your project!

Haha, good luck. I've never had trouble with public speaking so I don't know what its like personally, but I can offer some of the things that help me stay so calm. Who cares what you look like? Who you are is what matters. There is something about you, an inborn quality that makes you special, that makes you, you. That quality, or qualities, whatever it is should give you some confidence. What you look like isn't everything, its nothing! Who you are is everything.

dont do that. ^^^

i have the same problem, no matter how much i practice and how confident i am, as soon as i get to the front of the classroom, injured.gif haha. but yah i stutter and my voice shakes and i forget everything. i think you just have to deal with it, cuz its not like its something you can avoid unless you want to fail your presentation. or imagine everyone in their underwear? lol

edit: oops. didnt quote the OP, i mean dont drink vodka before your presentation haha

Edited by Ilovemesomevanity

I like to talk about in front of the class, yeeah i know how you feel, you dont want people to concentrate in your pimples, so you have to make them focus in your project. Prepare the best project ever, do it with SECURITY, if your have confidence you are gonna show people you dont care about your zits, you can do it, practice some oratory and go for it.

I have to give a speech next week, and it freaks me out too. But I try to appear confident, becoz everytime whenn I get nervous it usually ends up worse. So this time I'll try to relax, prepare well, practice a lot before the speech and just take a deep breathe as I stand up.

Yeah, It's really hard to appear confident with ugly skin and bunch of insecurities, but I choose to let those fears go. I choose to succeed. I choose to feel safe in my own skin. Whatever it looks like.

Dude, NO VODKA. That is going to make your face flush and acne even worse, plus if you go up there visibly drunk... honestly, and although I wouldn't recommend this normally, if you MUST self-medicate then go smoke a joint or something. Weed is inhibitory, so you'll be more likely to be relaxed instead of educated.

I get horrible stage fright. Just tell a joke to start it off, get people laughing and ease the tension.I

What if they don't laugh. Then you are really fucked.

Dude, NO VODKA. That is going to make your face flush and acne even worse, plus if you go up there visibly drunk... honestly, and although I wouldn't recommend this normally, if you MUST self-medicate then go smoke a joint or something. Weed is inhibitory, so you'll be more likely to be relaxed instead of educated.

quite a few people actually end up in psychiatric wards after smoking weed, even just once. It causes some kind of reaction in their brain, and something just cant click back into place ever again. Kind of like a switch. So i would not recommend this

picture them in their underwear.....with funny hats on, anything that makes you smile before you start, i always find that if the speaker smiles before their presentation i smile automatically, and that seems to help calm them further.

I get horrible stage fright. Just tell a joke to start it off, get people laughing and ease the tension.I

What if they don't laugh. Then you are really fucked.

Hey I recently graduated with a four year degree in finance from an instate university and have had to do at least one major presentation for almost each of my classes but in spanish i had to do like 3 and for spanish 2 I had to do like 5. I also suffer from stage fright which i figure may be some for of anxiety disorder that may or not be triggered by my acne but anyway I definitely drank vodka to calm me down and i did great but i'm a dude and can handle my liquor so nobody could tell a difference. I eventually changed my game plan from drinking to taking anti anxiety pills instead so i could think more clearly and not fixate on my acne. Even though i was very against medication at first because i didnt want to irritate my skin zanax was the only thing that allowed me to get through all of my presentations intelligently (sometimes zanax and a glass of wine) anxiety is a problem when going to college and you're trying to get the highest grades you can so your degree will get you a job out of college because if your gpa isn't high enough and you don't have an internship under your belt good luck getting a job and acne sets you at a disadvantage for doing all of these things. If school is important to you and i know it is and you suffer from anxiety I highly suggest either talking to your psychologist and getting zanax or if you dont have medical and can't afford it i'm sure theres tons of people around that get it abundantly prescribed to them and you could get some from them. Sometimes it just isn't the acne that causes the anxiety (stage fright) sometimes it just increases it. Do what you have to do to get through your presentation. There's no such things as ethics when it comes to paying a ton of money for a degree. It's strictly business so drink before your presentation, take anti anxiety medication, but make sure you graduate by any means necessary. We're not in high school anymore and every assignment counts towards your future. Good luck!

quite a few people actually end up in psychiatric wards after smoking weed, even just once. It causes some kind of reaction in their brain, and something just cant click back into place ever again. Kind of like a switch. So i would not recommend this

Yeah...where'd you learn that? A film called Reefer Madness perhaps?

LMBO

Yeah...where'd you learn that? A film called Reefer Madness perhaps?

LMBO

never heard of the film. heard it from a friend who works as a nurse. tbh i lol'd and said bs when i first heard it, but i kid you not its a true story, sis

I'm not that gullible.. but I am curious. What changed your laughter into tears for the clinically insane? She introduce you to a wackadoodle who told you pot ruined his life or something?

*Just to be clear: hugs not drugs ;)

Hi guys,

I want to share with you my great experience with public speaking. I got 100% for my presentation today, eusa_dance.gif and I've never been so confident and relaxed. The secret was self preparation. I prepared myself psychologically that I have to succeed, that I have to be confident and nothing will bother me during my speech. And I did it. I believe that everyone else can do this. I kept frequent eye contact with almost every single one in my class and everyone said 'bravo' as I finished. I felt like a winner!

Seriously, when people see that you're confident, they react positively. The more self conscious you are, the worse your presentation will be. Actually public speaking is something that we should enjoy. I proved myself that I can do this!biggrin.png

Speaking in front of the class has been always my biggest social fear. Especially now, when the finals have started. I'm litteraly terrified right before my speeches, my hands get cold, butterflies and stuff, however the biggest issue is my voice, it gets shaky and everyone notices that I'm super nervous. My fave part of the speech is the end of it.

I definitely recommend practicing with friends and/or family beforehand. Not only will this help you get over your fear of speaking in front of people but you'll also become more familiar with the presentation itself.

Oh man, highschool presentations were the worst for me. My entire face would turn bright red instantly, i could feel the cold sweat and when i am nervous my eyes begin to water. Not cause im going to cry, just cause its what they do. I had a teacher ask me once if I was going to be okay even though my presentations was going prefect.

Me too, I hate speaking in front of the class. I hate being the center of attention but... I have a solution for that my not perfect vision. :D

what I do, I read and study my report before I present to the class, and on the reporting day, I remove my eyeglasses so that I will not really see my classmates' expression when I'm talking :D