Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
captainsunshine

Interesting Development, Salt In Sauerkraut.

My skin was near enough perfect up until today. Face is a bit blotchy and a couple of spots have reared their heads. Luckily, because I lead such a strict nutritional life, I know what I have added to my diet. The only new item I've introduced into my diet recently, Sunday in fact, was Sauerkraut. For those that don't know, it's basically cabbage and salt.

I've no doubt that it's among one of the healthiest foods available, and there's no way in hell I'm going to blame the cabbage, so that leaves me looking at the salt content. It's full of salt, and too much of it. So there's a trigger people may need to look into.

Just wondered if anyone has made their own Sauerkraut without salt. There's various instructions online, but I was under the impression that it was the salt that killed off the bad bacteria. Making it without salt would leave the fermentation open to a lot of nasties wouldn't it?

Hey Captain Sunshine! Actually if it is RAW Sauerkraut you can still get die-off as it further introduces good bacteria and kills off any remaining bad bacteria. This can cause breakouts. I don't think it is the salt, it is most likely the probiotics (if it is raw). I personally break out with probiotics as my body adjusts to the surge in good bacteria coming in. :)

Yes, my grandmother mentioned her brother making sauerkraut with juniper berries rather than salt. Something they picked up in the southwest. You'll have to search for a recipe

Thanks both. I ate shop bought Sauerkraut, so I'm guessing all the life was taken out of it in the process of making it, which means I'm left with the option of cabbage and salt as a trigger. I've currently got home made sauerkraut on the go, so I'll give the shop bought one a miss until mine is ready. If I get another reaction, well, I've lived without it this long, I'll just remove it completely. I'll prepare a salt free version tomorrow.

I recall reading in a natural healing book in a shop, that salt aggravates the stomach/colon lining, but that was very much the authors personal opinion. Interesting I should have a skin problem after consuming the salt though, the only intake of salt I've had for about a year is the salt found in tinned/canned fish.

I have to admit I am a salt addict, I love the celtic sea salt and put it on everything. I don't get breakouts from it but I'm pretty sure I have a form of adrenal fatigue as I crave salt. In the book, "adrenal fatigue the 21st century stress syndrome" by James L Wilson Phd, Dc, Nd, it goes into how those with adrenal fatigue usually have low blood pressure and the sodium intake helps to raise blood pressure and helps to balance the adrenals. So in my case that is why it probably helps more than hurts. Keep us posted on how the raw sauerkraut goes. I haven't heard of making the sauerkraut without salt though as from what I know the salt is supposed to keep the baddies away while you ferment, as you said.

I doubt it's the salt content that's contributing to acne, salt can actually be quite beneficial for the body - despite the gross misunderstanding of it. I would be more willing to point the finger at the bacteria strains. I don't believe in "die off" as bacteria are constantly dying and reproducing - that's what gives you stool its size. But if you gut junctions is permeable the influx of microbes will enter the in the small intestines and cause an immuno response resulting in inflammation. If you want to test this theory.. Get some water and put a half tsp of grey celtic salt in and drink it down (with a meal).

EDIT: Adding the salt to the kraut lowers the PH so that mold mainly and some yeasts are unable to thrive - thus the lactic acid forming bacteria thrive.

Edited by moonbase

Do you know if it was naturally fermented or made with vinegar? Do you have issues with vinegar? It was probably pasteurized as well.

European stuff is generally handled with a bit more care and made through traditional means. I doubt very much it's the salt. I'd sooner place blame on the probiotics. Die off symptoms/bacterial placement can contribute to breakouts because many beneficial bacteria fight off harmful bacteria to occupy several areas of your colon. This is why you want a good probiotic - because different bacteria occupy different areas of the intestinal tract. Worst case scenario: your gut lining may be compromised or damaged which is letting in small food particles and letting in probiotic bacteria that isn't supposed to be in your blood.

Fermented foods like sauerkraut are high in histamine. They break me out for this reason. Things that reduce histamine in the body (e.g. methyl donors like TMG) improve my skin.