Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey everyone. One thing I have found that helps psychologically is to talk about your skin condition to other people. This is very hard at first because one naturally wants to divert any and all attention away from your skin. Now, you don't want to talk excessively about it (as this creates another talking point entirely, a negative one about how much you talk about your skin), but I find once in a while talking about it with friends and family helps greatly as it relieves the pressure and stress.

Just thought I would try add a positive point for the day!

There was a time when I would have said that I didn't want to talk about it because it would be like admitting something was wrong or that I wasn't happy, That's not a bad thing, I guess, but I just didn't want to face up to it all, so to speak. I've nobody to talk to really in terms of a group of friends so it's kind of default that I've kept things to myself for so many years. But I did actually talk about the history of my skin problems in a group therapy session last week and I feel like a totally different person since then. It's not so much about the acne itself but the effects of it and how I responded. How I've responded to my own battle over the years has essentially made me who I am and I don't like that person. So to sit in front of the group and essntially say, "This is me, flaws and all, but I'm working on it" feels like I'm finally taking control of that pyschological battle with myself. On that basis, I can only agree with you. Perhaps it comes down to finding the right people first which isn't always easy, but in theory, it can only be a very good thing to let it out and relive that pressure. :)

yeah i find talking to people that have had bad acne really helps me because i know i am not alone. when i try to talk to my friends who never breakout they dont understand it and tell me to just try proactive - lol! when i do tell them what all i have been through and all the products and treatments i have tried they are more sympathetic but they just dont get it. i was telling my friend about how i get red marks after i breakout and she said 'i never heard of that happening' which i thought was odd and then i felt crappy because i felt like there was something wrong with me that i get them but a lot of other people dont.