Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ohsailor

Irregular Eating Times And Lack Of Protein

before i begin the real question of my post, i'm going to get this out there ..... i have an eating disorder. which i know is probably a contributing factor to my acne. my skin is very very prone to scarring and does not heal easily.

i am struggling with my illness at the moment, and have very irregular eating habits.

for example, i eat my breakfast at, say, 10am on a weekend morning and won't eat again until 6pm.

and my calorie intake probably varies from 1,000 to 1,200 calories per day + my weight is roughly 98lbs at 5 foot 6. however my calorie intake is severly lacking in identifiable protein sources. i eat only vegetables for lunch and dinner (tomatoes, carrots and broccoli) and have not eaten vegan protein for....a long long time.

could the above two issues (long periods without eating and lack of protein) cause my skin to not only breakout but also to heal very slowly and leave bad red marks?

would be interested to hear anyone's point of view.

I've experienced something similar. I've been pretty deficient in protein for a long time. No eating disorder, just a less than optimal diet. My skin has aged faster, and it's can be pretty sensitive which also is factor in me being very prone to breaking out.

So yes, not getting enough nutrition will not help with acne, even when you are cutting out foods that tend to trigger it.

From what I've read on these forums, to make up for the lack of huge protein sources, you'd have to eat ALOT of fruits and vegetables, and considering you have an eating disorder and you don't take any sources of vegan protein (which is protein powder, i'm assuming?) you are not getting enough protein. I would say that plays a pretty big part in your skin's health, in my experience.

As for how to solve this, my only advice to give is to just... eat more. Though, never really having been through an eating disorder, I assume that it's goes a little deeper than that.

Edited by Tunnelvisionary

I would definitely get a whey ISOLATE protein shake provided you're not deathly allergic or intolerant to dairy. Protein is important for so many functions in the body and I always urge people to get enough protein in their diet even though many think it's sort of an optional thing or you really don't need that much protein, when in reality you do. RDA for protein is on the low end definitely.

The irregular eating habits aren't much cause for concern provided it's not also cutting into your sleep schedule (which is a cause for concern.) Intermittent Fasting is actually good for you as long as you're not starving yourself. I personally don't eat breakfast often and when I do it's something light like fruit or veggies because I doubt my body wants to process difficult-to-digest protein or fat first thing in the morning. It's somewhat of a "shock" to the system. I catch lunch instead.

I would definitely get a whey ISOLATE protein shake provided you're not deathly allergic or intolerant to dairy. Protein is important for so many functions in the body and I always urge people to get enough protein in their diet even though many think it's sort of an optional thing or you really don't need that much protein, when in reality you do. RDA for protein is on the low end definitely.

The irregular eating habits aren't much cause for concern provided it's not also cutting into your sleep schedule (which is a cause for concern.) Intermittent Fasting is actually good for you as long as you're not starving yourself. I personally don't eat breakfast often and when I do it's something light like fruit or veggies because I doubt my body wants to process difficult-to-digest protein or fat first thing in the morning. It's somewhat of a "shock" to the system. I catch lunch instead.

whey protein is the start of my acne story, they are made to gain muscle thats why the put different hormones in it. Then, it alterates insuling which makes sebaceous glands grow. These supplements are not for acne sufferers. However i think there are trusted brands like "termonova", I didnt suffer from acne when i used to take termonovas whey protein.

The other day i saw quinoa hamburgers, have you tried them? you could also try eggs

Edited by Chestercool

Yes, as long as you eat enough.

And there are other protein sources such as hemp seed powder. They are probably all more expensive than whey though. You don't eat eggs?

whey protein is the start of my acne story, they are made to gain muscle thats why the put different hormones in it. Then, it alterates insuling which makes sebaceous glands grow. These supplements are not for acne sufferers. However i think there are trusted brands like "termonova", I didnt suffer from acne when i used to take termonovas whey protein.

The other day i saw quinoa hamburgers, have you tried them? you could also try eggs

Whey protein isolate is much better than just whey protein. It's virtually lactose free so it's not as insulinogenic as most forms of dairy.

I think you should throw in the vegan towel and accept defeat. We're not chimps you neat to eat some animals.

um, no, i REALLY don't need to eat any animals. at all. ever again.

i am completely morally and ethically opposed to animal slaughter.

thanks to everyone for the advice. so i guess the lack of protein is definitely something to be concerned about :/ i'm going to have to look into that further.

That's cool. When the cut down more rainforest, and cause complete extinctions of animals -- or develop more land for agriculture only to spray more toxic pesticides and fertilizers that eventually leach into the water supply. Many fish and animals will die. Ignorance is bliss though, right?

thanks to everyone for the advice. so i guess the lack of protein is definitely something to be concerned about :/ i'm going to have to look into that further.

I hope by that you don't mean going back to grain and soy based faux foods. If you aren't going to eat dense protein sources, and dense plant protein sources, i.e. seeds tend to be very high in anti-nutrients, then you have to eat a lot of food to get enough protein. You pretty much have to eat all day long like gorillas do.

That's cool. When the cut down more rainforest, and cause complete extinctions of animals -- or develop more land for agriculture only to spray more toxic pesticides and fertilizers that eventually leach into the water supply. Many fish and animals will die. Ignorance is bliss though, right?

Lolz, because the useage of the rainforest for animal agriculture is completely ethical, no? The area of land used to rear cattle for human consumption could be used instead to grow grain to feed thousands of people compared to the tens of people that cattle would feed. But who cares about world hunger? Ignore is bliss though, right?

The displacement of tribes, having lived in the rainforest for centuries, so that animals can be bred to eat is abhorrent.

And I don't know where you get your vegetables from, but here in little old England, I get them from local producers. Very few vegetables are actually grown in 'the rainforest' and it is actually predominantly used for cattle.

I have been vegetarian since I was 11 (for 13 years) and vegan for three years. I am vegan because I feel it is ethically and morally wrong for me to partake in animal slaughter as a human that should be capable of higher thought and to use others forms of sustenance that do not invovle unnecessary cruelty and death to other beings.

But ignorance is bliss, eh?

Lots of fruit comes from the rainforest not meat. Ethically raised meats come from pastures.. grass is the most abundant and self sufficient food on the planet. There are huge grass lands all over the world that can easily support an abundance of animal life. Instead we convert this soil to grow crops of food. which strips the soil, and then we pump chemical soup into the soil just to grow nutrient deficient plants. More over this massive amount of grain and other foods.. needs far more processing and shipping than meat.

Agriculture is destroying the planet!

You should give this book a read, and realize you've just been fed silly vegetarian doctrine.

http://www.amazon.ca/Vegetarian-Myth-Food-Justice-Sustainability/dp/1604860804

Edited by moonbase

I think you should throw in the vegan towel and accept defeat. We're not chimps you neat to eat some animals.

I guess you are giving in then. An exchange. Your life for the animals.

It is VERY hard to maintain a healthy body and healthy gut environment while being a vegan. You most definetly are NOT getting your needed B vitamins. Do you eat grains? Meat contains much needed glutathione for muscle repair as well as being the precursor to every detox/healing method of the body. If you refuse to eat animal products such as eggs, fish, meat etc. You are not getting enough protein and in a sense you are giving up your life for the animals. It is kind of a sad situation because even if you give up your life for the animals (your health), it will still not make a difference, people will continue to eat meat as we have throughout the beginning of time and vegans will continue to be deficient because we were not intended to be vegans, otherwise we would be able to get all our needed proteins and nutrients from said veggies. You cannot get B vitamins outside of a animal based source and we all know how important your B's are. I want to hug you, it is good that you care about animals but it is more important to take care of yourself as you cannot survive eating the way you are and continue to be healthy.

ohsailor, I understand where you are coming from in regards to the treatment of animals, and how humans can just consume so many of them without giving it a second thought, and how horribly cruel factory farms are. I definitely do not want send my money to farms that treat animals in such ways, but there are farms that treat their animals right that you can order meat from.

http://www.certifiedhumane.org/index.php?page=producers-products

I know this probably isn't going to change your mind, but if down the road, you reconsider, there are options like this.

It is VERY hard to maintain a healthy body and healthy gut environment while being a vegan. You most definetly are NOT getting your needed B vitamins. Do you eat grains? Meat contains much needed glutathione for muscle repair as well as being the precursor to every detox/healing method of the body. If you refuse to eat animal products such as eggs, fish, meat etc. You are not getting enough protein and in a sense you are giving up your life for the animals. It is kind of a sad situation because even if you give up your life for the animals (your health), it will still not make a difference, people will continue to eat meat as we have throughout the beginning of time and vegans will continue to be deficient because we were not intended to be vegans, otherwise we would be able to get all our needed proteins and nutrients from said veggies. You cannot get B vitamins outside of a animal based source and we all know how important your B's are. I want to hug you, it is good that you care about animals but it is more important to take care of yourself as you cannot survive eating the way you are and continue to be healthy.

Before you read my post, know that I've been there. I had an eating disorder for a long time, but I'm doing really really well now. I was anorexic mainly, but bulimic as well for a period of time. I eat as much as I should, but I only put really healthy foods into my body. There was a point where I ate less than 500 calories a day. Now I eat at least 1500-2000.

I agree, it's really hard to maintain a healthy body while vegan/vegetarian, but it's do-able. If you don't have the time/energy to get your protein/vitamins/amino acids from an extremely wide array of sources you can take supplements/proteins. I eat mainly vegan (I still use organic honey) so I don't do any dairy, eggs, etc. I take a "Vegegreens Vegan Protein" with protein sourced from hemp, chia, brown rice, cranberry and yellow pea. Also it has 6-8 servings of veggies from so many different sea and land veggies, so it's an outstanding source of vitamins. I also take spirulina and chlorella which help with more vitamins, especially vitamin a, iron, b vitamins and vitamin k. Spirulina has a FULL spectrum of amino acids as well, which is essential since you're not eating meat.

I know you probably don't want to hear this, but I'm going to be mom and tell you that you're not eating enough. 1000-1200 calories per day is NOT enough, especially for someone vegan who isn't getting enough protein, not to mention iron. You're probably severely anemic. I take protein, and was still severely anemic at my last blood test. As a vegan you should be getting them every 3 months to stay healthy. You should shoot for at least 1800 calories a day. I calculated your BMI and you're pretty significantly underweight. Normal BMI starts at 18.5, you're at 15.8. If you continue to keep eating so few calories your weight will go down even further, and you'll keep depriving your body of the nutrients it absolutely needs. I'm only an inch taller than you, and I weigh almost 20 pounds more than you, and even I'm underweight for my height.. my BMI is 18.2 though, so I'm almost normal. And I'm trying to gain a few pounds and get up to 120, because in my opinion I look way too skinny. I've had people ask me if I have an eating disorder, and you weigh almost 20 pounds less than I do... No wonder your skin is suffering, because your body is NOT getting the nutrition it needs to function. You need to make a drastic change before you end up in the hospital. I had a friend in highschool that weighed a bit less than you and wound up in the hospital for months. She missed a whole semester and a half of school and couldn't graduate with the rest of us. You absoultely can NOT be vegan and have an eating disorder or you will die. You're already not getting enough nutrients because you're vegan and don't supplement. Combine that with an eating disorder you're in serious danger of your body shutting down.

It gets expensive to use all these "supplements" (spirulina and chlorella are actually foods rather than supplements, so they absorb better) but if you're going to continue a vegan lifestyle you NEED to eat extremely well. If you're still going to eat way less than what you should, at least get your protein and vitamins that you need. Eat at least 3 meals a day and have snacks, and make sure you get enough protein and iron or you'll get seriously sick. You need at least 45 grams per day. Most vegan proteins contain 25-30 per scoop, the rest you can get from veggies, fruits and grains.

Honestly I don't mean to sound harsh but I don't think you realize how bad of a situation you're in. One of my best friends who'd been through the same thing as me helped me get better. You're hurting yourself so much. sad.png Please get better!

Edited by jennifer36

Lots of fruit comes from the rainforest not meat. Ethically raised meats come from pastures.. grass is the most abundant and self sufficient food on the planet. There are huge grass lands all over the world that can easily support an abundance of animal life. Instead we convert this soil to grow crops of food. which strips the soil, and then we pump chemical soup into the soil just to grow nutrient deficient plants. More over this massive amount of grain and other foods.. needs far more processing and shipping than meat.

Agriculture is destroying the planet!

You should give this book a read, and realize you've just been fed silly vegetarian doctrine.

http://www.amazon.ca/Vegetarian-Myth-Food-Justice-Sustainability/dp/1604860804

maybe you should read these:

http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Ethics-Eating-Erik-Marcus/dp/0935526870/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1322124128&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Ethics-What-We-Eat-Choices/dp/1594866872/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1322124315&sr=8-17

I find it difficult to feel that I have been indoctrinated when I am in a minority of the world's population who still consume meat.

I appreciate your point of view HOWEVER, is it not possible that I want to be vegan not purely for environmental reasons but for ethical? Perhaps you could possibly understand that I don't want to eat meat or consume dairy products because I just abhor the thought of being a part of a practice that absolutely disgusts me? I take it that you have never cried at the thought of having to eat meat, the idea of what that animal on your plate had to endure? I suppose that you have never thought that an animal, however well-reared and looked after, might not actually be on this planet to be purely used for your own benefit.

I hate how easily the majority of humanity can disregard the suffering of animals because it means sacrifcing something of themselves.

I am clearly "indoctrinated" by the crazy vegans eh? Or maybe, just maybe, I am slightly more compassionate than you.

Oh dear.

I think someone has misunderstood exactly WHY I am vegan - I am not vegan because I feel I am going to save any animals. Trust me, I'm not that idiotic. I am but one person in a world of billions. Who am I to think that my veganism would impact the amount of animals killed every minute, every hour, every day?

I am vegan because I feel uncomfortable and sickened even at the thought of consuming an animal, an innocent life that has been killed for my diet.

I am not getting protein because I am not trying to - I have an active eating disorder that is currently preventing me from eating any protein whatsoever, be it animal or not. My veganism saved me from my eating disorder at its worst (my BMI was 11 and I was close to dying) and I am not a healthy vegan by any means, I will admit to that. But it is my anorexia preventing me from being a healthy vegan, not veganism itself. There are some very interesting sites that you should explore:

www.veganbodybuilding.com/

www.veganbodybuilding.com/

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mahler53.htm

Maybe try telling the many active participants on the above site that they do not get enough protein?

You are being incredibly patronising but I will put that aside. Have I mentioned anywhere that my goal is to stop anyone ever eating animals? As above, I am vegan because I refuse to participate in animal slaughter and cruelty that is completely unnecessary, in my opinion not because I think I will change the world.

In Gandhi's words: 'be the change you want to see in the world'

I would love for the rest of the world to never eat meat again but I'm not a naive tree hugger. I refuse to give in to the majority because every one says that one person does not make a difference.

Maybe I will never make a difference but at least I have not mindlessly followed like a sheep + I have stuck to my principles.

Hopefully, one day, when I overcome my anorexia, I will be able to eat protein and become a healthy vegan.

But for now, I was just asking for help with my skin. Which seem to be absent from your reply.

ohsailor, I understand where you are coming from in regards to the treatment of animals, and how humans can just consume so many of them without giving it a second thought, and how horribly cruel factory farms are. I definitely do not want send my money to farms that treat animals in such ways, but there are farms that treat their animals right that you can order meat from.

http://www.certified...ducers-products

I know this probably isn't going to change your mind, but if down the road, you reconsider, there are options like this.

I'm glad that "ethical farming" helps you.

But at the end of the day, it is animal slaughter. And it disgusts and sickens me.

Before you read my post, know that I've been there. I had an eating disorder for a long time, but I'm doing really really well now. I was anorexic mainly, but bulimic as well for a period of time. I eat as much as I should, but I only put really healthy foods into my body. There was a point where I ate less than 500 calories a day. Now I eat at least 1500-2000.

I agree, it's really hard to maintain a healthy body while vegan/vegetarian, but it's do-able. If you don't have the time/energy to get your protein/vitamins/amino acids from an extremely wide array of sources you can take supplements/proteins. I eat mainly vegan (I still use organic honey) so I don't do any dairy, eggs, etc. I take a "Vegegreens Vegan Protein" with protein sourced from hemp, chia, brown rice, cranberry and yellow pea. Also it has 6-8 servings of veggies from so many different sea and land veggies, so it's an outstanding source of vitamins. I also take spirulina and chlorella which help with more vitamins, especially vitamin a, iron, b vitamins and vitamin k. Spirulina has a FULL spectrum of amino acids as well, which is essential since you're not eating meat.

I know you probably don't want to hear this, but I'm going to be mom and tell you that you're not eating enough. 1000-1200 calories per day is NOT enough, especially for someone vegan who isn't getting enough protein, not to mention iron. You're probably severely anemic. I take protein, and was still severely anemic at my last blood test. As a vegan you should be getting them every 3 months to stay healthy. You should shoot for at least 1800 calories a day. I calculated your BMI and you're pretty significantly underweight. Normal BMI starts at 18.5, you're at 15.8. If you continue to keep eating so few calories your weight will go down even further, and you'll keep depriving your body of the nutrients it absolutely needs. I'm only an inch taller than you, and I weigh almost 20 pounds more than you, and even I'm underweight for my height.. my BMI is 18.2 though, so I'm almost normal. And I'm trying to gain a few pounds and get up to 120, because in my opinion I look way too skinny. I've had people ask me if I have an eating disorder, and you weigh almost 20 pounds less than I do... No wonder your skin is suffering, because your body is NOT getting the nutrition it needs to function. You need to make a drastic change before you end up in the hospital. I had a friend in highschool that weighed a bit less than you and wound up in the hospital for months. She missed a whole semester and a half of school and couldn't graduate with the rest of us. You absoultely can NOT be vegan and have an eating disorder or you will die. You're already not getting enough nutrients because you're vegan and don't supplement. Combine that with an eating disorder you're in serious danger of your body shutting down.

It gets expensive to use all these "supplements" (spirulina and chlorella are actually foods rather than supplements, so they absorb better) but if you're going to continue a vegan lifestyle you NEED to eat extremely well. If you're still going to eat way less than what you should, at least get your protein and vitamins that you need. Eat at least 3 meals a day and have snacks, and make sure you get enough protein and iron or you'll get seriously sick. You need at least 45 grams per day. Most vegan proteins contain 25-30 per scoop, the rest you can get from veggies, fruits and grains.

Honestly I don't mean to sound harsh but I don't think you realize how bad of a situation you're in. One of my best friends who'd been through the same thing as me helped me get better. You're hurting yourself so much. sad.png Please get better!

Thank you for your reply.

I have been through a variety of treatments - my BMI has been at 11 and I have been near death due to my eating disorder. I have been hospitalised years ago as well.

I am well versed in how badly I am looking after my body. I have heard it from nurses, doctors, therapists, counsellors, psychiatric nurses, psychologists and psychiatrists.

I know I am able to be a healthy vegan + I want that more than anything else. But the eating disorder has taken over (and has done so for the last seven years of my life) and as you know, it takes a lot to come back from the edge.

Thank you again for your reply and I will consider your words very carefully.

http://www.amazon.co...22124128&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.co...2124315&sr=8-17

I find it difficult to feel that I have been indoctrinated when I am in a minority of the world's population who still consume meat.

I appreciate your point of view HOWEVER, is it not possible that I want to be vegan not purely for environmental reasons but for ethical? Perhaps you could possibly understand that I don't want to eat meat or consume dairy products because I just abhor the thought of being a part of a practice that absolutely disgusts me? I take it that you have never cried at the thought of having to eat meat, the idea of what that animal on your plate had to endure? I suppose that you have never thought that an animal, however well-reared and looked after, might not actually be on this planet to be purely used for your own benefit.

I hate how easily the majority of humanity can disregard the suffering of animals because it means sacrifcing something of themselves.

I am clearly "indoctrinated" by the crazy vegans eh? Or maybe, just maybe, I am slightly more compassionate than you.

Yes, you are indoctrinated, and those books wont change the facts. The book I linked you to was written by a devout vegetarian who after many many years realised that things weren't what they seemed. Anyways, you can think whatever you like. I do not consume factory raised animals, for nutritional and ethical reasons.

When it all boils down, nutritionally you need to eat meat. Its called nature. Even chimps consume about 10% of there calories from animal products. When an animals bites the jugular of an animal and lets it bleed out.. it is not considered negative -- or when a alligator drags its pray under water to drown, we don`t scoff. What makes us any different? I just can't understand why.. I mean hell you are in a state of severe malnutrition and you're taking such a stance.

Somewhere along the way you mixed up fanaticism and ethics. It's a hard truth but i'm not a reserved person. If you don't want to slaughter animals, why dont you consume some shellfish products like oysters, clams or scallops - they are all relatively brainless and wont get "hurt". In fact - you can eat scallops and oysters raw - so technically you wont even be slaughtering them, but just digesting them.

Your health is in your hands.. if you don't wish to consume animals - that's your delusion - but you need to hit up 3000 calories a day of FOOD. I would start with some very nutrient dense soups and stews... you wont be able to hit the ground running at 3000 so work up as fast as your body can handle. Lots of sweet potato, fruit, and some sort of protein alternative. Though you definitely have all the chips stacked against you.

BTW as an aside--- I find it quite funny that people take a stance on animals when there are so many people in the world that suffer. We.. drop bombs on them, kill women and children, and pillage their resources... Though who cares about that, just look at this cows pretty eyes.

pretty-cow.jpg

Edited by moonbase

http://www.amazon.co...22124128&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.co...2124315&sr=8-17

Yes, you are indoctrinated, and those books wont change the facts. The book I linked you to was written by a devout vegetarian who after many many years realised that things weren't what they seemed. Anyways, you can think whatever you like. I do not consume factory raised animals, for nutritional and ethical reasons.

When it all boils down, nutritionally you need to eat meat. Its called nature. Even chimps consume about 10% of there calories from animal products. When an animals bites the jugular of an animal and lets it bleed out.. it is not considered negative -- or when a alligator drags its pray under water to drown, we don`t scoff. What makes us any different? I just can't understand why.. I mean hell you are in a state of severe malnutrition and you're taking such a stance.

Somewhere along the way you mixed up fanaticism and ethics. It's a hard truth but i'm not a reserved person. If you don't want to slaughter animals, why dont you consume some shellfish products like oysters, clams or scallops - they are all relatively brainless and wont get "hurt". In fact - you can eat scallops and oysters raw - so technically you wont even be slaughtering them, but just digesting them.

Your health is in your hands.. if you don't wish to consume animals - that's your delusion - but you need to hit up 3000 calories a day of FOOD. I would start with some very nutrient dense soups and stews... you wont be able to hit the ground running at 3000 so work up as fast as your body can handle. Lots of sweet potato, fruit, and some sort of protein alternative. Though you definitely have all the chips stacked against you.

BTW as an aside--- I find it quite funny that people take a stance on animals when there are so many people in the world that suffer. We.. drop bombs on them, kill women and children, and pillage their resources... Though who cares about that, just look at this cows pretty eyes.

pretty-cow.jpg

Nature is animals hunting prey - I do not 'scoff' at a lion pouncing on an antelope - I would say I am far less affected than the average meat eater confronted with the reality of an animal dying.

Nature is not when humans, who are supposedly of higher intellect, eating animals when alternatives are available but people are too consumed in their own needs and greed to acknowledge it.

I am in malnutrition because I have an EATING DISORDER not because I am vegan. Please do not pretend to know my body better than I know myself.

Again, my eating disorder and veganism > entirely separate. Please do not confuse the two. Yes, I'm sure I do need to eat soups and stews or whatever else you have recommended but unfortunately the small issue of starving myself to death has interfered with my desire to fully nourish myself.

Millions upon millions of vegans fully function every day. I hope, once my anorexia has been defeated, to join them.

That makes me laugh - you think I care whether an animal looks 'cute' or not? I am against cruelty to insects as well as some cuddly rabbit. Please don't tar me with the same brush as other vegans you may have known.

Oh, and I didn't know that it was an 'either/or' situation regarding caring about animals or humans - someone should have sent me the memo where it was that they are mutually exclusive.

I feel this is a situation where we should agree to disagree - we're getting nowhere.

Edited by ohsailor

Sorry, I thought the cow bit was funny.

I will agree to disagree with you. an eating disorder stems from a mental disorder and a mental disorder stems from lack of proper nourishment. Mental disorders are all highly correlated with improper nutrition. SO I believe they are related.

Just so you know, there has not been a full generation of vegans - this is a new aged fad, with completely unknown consequences. Sure you can be a vegan and get vitamin shots, or pop pills every day - but that isn't natural and again has unknown consequences. I have never met a healthy looking vegan, they all look emaciated - any of them that do look somewhat healthy are the ones who come from a past with excess meat consumption so they have a strong body in place to take the punishment that is vegan. I've also noticed that the vegans i've known are pretty fanatical and don't listen to reason - not just on the subject of food..

Kind of an aside but.. the government food recommendations is slowly moving towards vegetarianism - if that's not a hint that it is a bad idea, I don't know what is.

Your lack of nutrition is clouding your judgement. If you want to restore your health eating a nutrient dense diet is key. Animal products are extremely nutrient dense.

Are eggs okay? I mean go find some ethical raised hens (that's what I eat) that eat a healthy diet and gobble some down... I am sure the hen wont have postpartum depression. Eat the yolks raw, and cook up the whites with some coconut oil. Eat that with some vegetables and fruit.

Acne is the least of your worries at this point.. if you're not willing to take control of your nutritional life - go see a therapist.

Best of luck.

Edited by moonbase

I don't think I will even respond to your incredibly disrespectful, insulting post which claims to know the origins of my eating disorder and laughably blaming it on my lack of nutrition.

You should become a counsellor - your insight into my eating disorder is astounding (please note the sarcasm) All those therapists, counsellors and psychiatrists I saw were such a waste of time, eh?

Should have just eaten some meat eh? And don't tell me, depressed patients should just try and bit happier? Or should they just eat meat and shut up as well?

Thanks for all your help Moonbase. You have reinforced my veganism to no end.

Hey ohsailor,

I'm glad you're looking into spirulina! I'd also recommended chlorella, as it has some specific benefits as well as overlapping. The best spirulina comes from Hawaii (Now branded powder is the cheapest), and the best chlorella ice found is ChlorellaFella, which is from Taiwan. Maybe you'd be interested in Jennifer's log since you guys are in similar boats, and it seems to be helping her a lot! They can be cheaper than your average supplement, cents or a few dollars a day depending on how much you take. Hemp protein is pretty awesome too, and it happens to cover the flavor of spiru/chlo really well. Good luck!

edit: this thread should be pretty helpful sailor, lot's of compiled research and tips!

Edited by tim12

Sorry, I thought the cow bit was funny.

I will agree to disagree with you. an eating disorder stems from a mental disorder and a mental disorder stems from lack of proper nourishment. Mental disorders are all highly correlated with improper nutrition. SO I believe they are related.

Just so you know, there has not been a full generation of vegans - this is a new aged fad, with completely unknown consequences. Sure you can be a vegan and get vitamin shots, or pop pills every day - but that isn't natural and again has unknown consequences. I have never met a healthy looking vegan, they all look emaciated - any of them that do look somewhat healthy are the ones who come from a past with excess meat consumption so they have a strong body in place to take the punishment that is vegan. I've also noticed that the vegans i've known are pretty fanatical and don't listen to reason - not just on the subject of food..

Kind of an aside but.. the government food recommendations is slowly moving towards vegetarianism - if that's not a hint that it is a bad idea, I don't know what is.

Your lack of nutrition is clouding your judgement. If you want to restore your health eating a nutrient dense diet is key. Animal products are extremely nutrient dense.

Are eggs okay? I mean go find some ethical raised hens (that's what I eat) that eat a healthy diet and gobble some down... I am sure the hen wont have postpartum depression. Eat the yolks raw, and cook up the whites with some coconut oil. Eat that with some vegetables and fruit.

Acne is the least of your worries at this point.. if you're not willing to take control of your nutritional life - go see a therapist.

Best of luck.

Well said.

It has been shown veganism and the vegetarian type diets lead to eating disorders due to malnutrition issues/gut issues that effect the brain. It is a hamster in a wheel situation. You need to eat to live and I worry for you that you will not be able to survive the way you are eating.

It has been shown veganism and the vegetarian type diets lead to eating disorders due to malnutrition issues/gut issues that effect the brain. It is a hamster in a wheel situation. You need to eat to live and I worry for you that you will not be able to survive the way you are eating.

I've never heard this before, could you link where this has been shown? I'm not a vegan myself, but I like reading about nutrition.

Edited by tim12