Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AcneConfusion

Does Benzoyl Peroxide Only Kills P. Acne?

Hello All,

I'm new here and as my username states, I'm highly confused on everything regarding acne. In a blog post by Dan, he talked about some research that suggests the p. acne bacteria might not have anything to do with causing acne. Here's the post:

What causes acne? It might not be bacteria.

April 19th, 2011

An article released this month in the British Journal of Dermatology took a look at the evidence scientists have boldly gathered from 1950 through 2010 regarding when and where acne bacteria tends to exist and in what amounts. The patterns they found are intriguing and seem to suggest that acne bacteria, known as P. Acnes, may not cause clogged pores.

Over the past 60 years, various researchers have taken biopsies of “normal” skin, acne prone skin, and inflamed and noninflamed acne lesions, and then counted the bacteria they found. It turns out that across the vast majority of the 14 studies of this nature, acne bacteria is not always present, even in active acne lesions. A small but compelling percentage of acne lesions are “sterile” and contain no bacteria whatsoever.

Faced with this kind of consistent evidence, the authors hypothesize that acne bacteria does not initiate acne. How could it, they seem to ask us to ponder, if it doesn’t exist in all acne lesions?

However, the authors go on to state that after a pore has become clogged, acne bacteria can make the situation worse through a number of means, including increasing the skin’s cell production, causing stickiness inside the pore, and kicking inflammation into higher gear, amongst others.

So what causes acne? Is it our body’s immune response? Inflammation? Genetics? Vitamin/Mineral deficiency? The search continues…but as we move forward, let’s keep this evidence regarding bacteria in mind.

So, here's my question: If it's not bacteria that causes acne, then why should I use benzoyl peroxide? Given all the negatives about benzoyl peroxide (dryness, redness, irritation), I really would prefer not to use it.

Also, my acne is not severe, but came about out of nowhere really bad a year ago. Lots of blackheads, a few whiteheads, which I think I read somewhere (again I'm confused, so give me some leeway) means that my acne isn't caused by the p. acne bacteria (mine is not inflamed). Just wanted some clarification. Responses are much appreciated!

Also, I just realized that the way I worded this topic is grammatically incorrect. My bad!

bp goes inside of the pore and oxigenates there, preventing bacteria to grow underface.

Your question is very good by the way, it makes sense. Anyways, benzoyl peroxide prevents breakout this way:

The article says bacteria might not clog pores, but pus occurs when bacteria make that clog pore infected. So no bacteria means no whiteheads. Remember the whitehead is pus, and pus is a reaction from the inmuse system to an infection.

Hope I helped, fell free to correct me if im wrong

i think all BP does is dry out the pimple so it can fall off..I don't think it does anything beyond drying a zit since you will still continue to get acne on other parts of your face.

Chestercool, thanks that does make sense. I need to stop reading so much and start acting. I'm buying some of Dan's bp tomorrow. Thanks for the responses!

hehe good luck with the regimen!! remember to give it time :P

BP dries out the pimples and that is it. The whiteheads become crusty and they fall off within a couple of days. It's also good for bleaching your clothes when you accidentally wipe your hands on your pants and then you have what looks like a cum stain on your left pocket. You have to take the good with the bad.

Benzoyl peroxide cause premature aging of the skin, natural salicylic acid is way better for your skin and I've found it to be more effective.