Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
arabella hope

Very Frustrated About Supplements.

I went to the health food store this afternoon to buy supplements to help heal my body and clear acne. I wasn't very knowledgeable so I asked a woman who worked there. She must have recently been hired because she was no help at all. I asked her about cod liver oil and she had many negative things to say about it. I then asked about B12, Acidophilus, etc. She had nothing positive to say about supplements and told me I should become a fruitarian. Are there negative reactions for some people taking supplements? Is there a list of the best supplements to take?

A fruitarian? Sounds like some kind of cult! :lol:

A lot of people seem to go for things like Omega fish oil, vitamin A and a good multi-vitamin. That's certainly a start. It's perhaps best to start steady, rather than suddendly introducting all these new things at once. Zinc is also mentioned here a lot but it's worth noting that some antibiotics suggest not to take zinc. For example, I'm currently taking Doxycycline and the leaflet with it suggests that zinc can reduce how well the Doxy works.

Certainly worth having a read through the vitamin posts and see what comes up the most. There's a hell of a lot of information and perhaps plenty of contradicting opinions, but you'll be able to get a good idea of where to start and, just as importantly, what to avoid.

:)

There's a few supplements I would recommend everyone take.

-Omega-3 fish oil/krill oil.

-CoQ10

-Vitamin A (Retinyl palmitate, not beta carotene)

-Milk thistle

-Zinc (Picolinate or zinc methionine [L-OptiZinc)

-Multi

-CoQ10

-Milk thistle

-Multi

THANK YOU.

-CoQ10

-Milk thistle

-Multi

What's up with CoQ10? I've only ever seen you mention it.

It's one of the most potent antioxidants you can take. Helps mitochondria keep producing ATP and remain healthy. Same with cardiovascular health. Found in many organelles in cells. Overall skin health. Helps move oxygen throughout blood. It's got a million and one uses. It doesn't help acne directly but since it's such a potent antioxidant and helps so many bodily functions, it's plausible for someone's acne to get better from it.

I would recommend healing yourself through diet. If you eat bad foods, wheat/gluten, dairy, sugar and processed foods, you will not have good skin or health no matter how many supplements you throw at it. Our society is way to focused on the magic white pill. We all want results and we want them now, we do not want to take a look at our diet and realize that what we put in our mouth has devastating effects on our body and skin and that we may have to make uncomfortable (non socially accepted) changes to our diet. Hippocrates said "let thy food be thy medicine and thy medicine thy food". Pure words of wisdom. Get your vitamins from foods as they are more readily bio available instead of synthetic vitamins. Soup/bone marrow broths also supply a great amount of vitamins and minerals. I wish I didn't have to learn the hard way that diet is everything. Probiotics are the one thing I would recommend, although beware as "bad bacteria" in the gut dies off, it can create temporary symptoms and acne can be one of them. There are lots of posts here on diet I would read some of them, It would give you a better idea. :)