Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cervantes86

Losing Too Much Weight! Help

so due to the low gl diet, i have cut a lot of carbs from my diet, like white rice, potatoes and cereal. also hardly any juices, mostly water and fruits. the problem is i keep losing weight. over the past 2 months with this diet, i have lost 15 pounds and iam getting scared. i dont think its a good idea to cut all carbs out. the kativa ppl are acne free and 70% of their diet is carbs!! there has to be some kind of carbs we can eat. iam starting to look anorexic, and what has this diet done for my acne?? for little. my face is as oily as ever. can anyone tell me what iam doing wrong??

I don't think there's anything wrong with eating potatoes.

Also, just because you eliminate carbs doesn't mean you can eliminate calories. Do you know your BF%? Low-GI diets that are supplemented with the right fats/proteins/moderate carbs can help build muscle too. You can try weight training to bulk you up. I'm sure you'll be fine!

If anything, try to consume more protein/fats and you can have a medium sized baked potato with dinner. That's only 30-50g carbs.

eat things that are high in calories, like nuts (sesame seeds/brazilian nuts) and avacado is really high calorie, and olive oil. Just make sure you eat a lot of calories like she said, you can get them from a lot of sources that won't break you out. Oh, and you can eat a lot of meat. But if you are losing so much weight so quickly it could mean that you had some excess fat that you needed to get rid of, because people that have excess fat tend to lose weight veryyy fast when they start eating healthy. So it can be a good thing.

Edit: I too, break out from eating potatoes, some people can eat them w/o a problem but, some people, like myself, have to avod starchy vegetables. They may seem innocent but they can take a tole on your skin if you are sensitive to them. Everyone is different.

Edited by Ugly skin disease

Eat more calories. Nuts are very calorie-dense and fats (butter/lard/meat/ghee/olive oil/coconut oil.)

Weight loss boils down to calories, eat more calories than you burn and you'll gain or maintain weight.

Eat more calories. Nuts are very calorie-dense and fats (butter/lard/meat/ghee/olive oil/coconut oil.)

Weight loss boils down to calories, eat more calories than you burn and you'll gain or maintain weight.

I wouldn't be recommending nuts to someone with an acne problem.

If you'd like to gain weight, there is no easy fix, you have to eat more of everything if you want to do it in a healthy way. More protein, more veggies, more fruit, more everything. The kitivans don't have acne or other related diseases because carbs dont cause acne. You just get acne because your digestive system is out of wack. Try including some kitivan related carbs (taro, yucca, squash, and sweet potato).. and guage how you react.

Edited by moonbase

If you'd like to gain weight, there is no easy fix, you have to eat more of everything if you want to do it in a healthy way. More protein, more veggies, more fruit, more everything. The kitivans don't have acne or other related diseases because carbs dont cause acne. You just get acne because your digestive system is out of wack. Try including some kitivan related carbs (taro, yucca, squash, and sweet potato).. and guage how you react.

I like a lot of the posts you make and you are dead on about the digestive system being out of whack. Carbs are also not the issue but the type of carbs consumed. I wouldn't recommend potatoes/sweet potatoes, taro/yucca, or fruits. Potatoes and high starchy vegetables like taro, sweet potatoes still feed an unhealthy environment in the gut. Sugars including fruit sugars (fructose) are not bad but in those with a compromised gut will still feed candida yeasts overgrowth. I would recommend eliminating them at least for a little while (a few weeks) and get the majority of your carbs from veggies like squash, carrots, broccoli (whichever ones you can tolerate). And up your fat intake. As chunkylard said Coconut oil/Ghee/butter are all good choices as are avocados. Nuts in themselves aren't bad but they are hard on the digestion which is why many people here may have issue with them. I would recommend nuts later as you heal your gut but if you'd like to try them now it is best to soak them in a jar overnight with salt sprinkled on them and dry them in your oven with the door open. This way the phytic acid is removed and it is more digestible. Even with that nuts should be eaten in moderation. I love them but they still give me issues, so now I substitute with coconut based ingredients like coconut flour. Squash is a good one and can make some pretty awesome pancakes with them using 3 eggs, 1/2 cup cut up cubed squash, and 1 tbl of almond butter, blend in blender and lightly fry in ghee/coconut oil or lard. I wouldn't count calories or follow fad diets. You shouldn't be focusing on solely your skin but your overall health as well. Eating a diet high in good fats, with grass fed meats and lots of yummy cooked veggies is very filling. I cook a mean eggplant parmesan (minus the parmesan-lol) that is breaded in coconut flour and has chunky grass fed meat sauce on it. I never feel hungry and my blood sugar is balanced. You shouldn't feel deprived, clean eating is far more filling and delicious than our processed modern diets. There are tons of recipes out there, google paleo or the specific carbohydrate diet recipes. Lots of good stuff!

Edited by myheartsholistic

I would not recommend people eat a lot of fruit, especially if they have acne. Excess fructose is not much better than high-fructose and stresses the liver, albeit packed with some antioxidant benefits, fiber and vitamins/minerals. Vegetables are fruit without the fructose flaw.

Nuts are only problematic if your Omega-6 ratio is horrible or you have an intolerance. Soaking or slow-roasting makes them even better. Nuts that aren't shelled are great, and macadamias are by far the best kind of nut you can eat. They're nutritional powerhouses and have a low omega-6 content, even compared to most traditional foods.

There is an easy fix because there's many healthy foods that are calorie-dense and will help those trying to maintain or gain weight.

Edited by chunkylard

I like a lot of the posts you make and you are dead on about the digestive system being out of whack. Carbs are also not the issue but the type of carbs consumed. I wouldn't recommend potatoes/sweet potatoes, taro/yucca, or fruits. Potatoes and high starchy vegetables like taro, sweet potatoes still feed an unhealthy environment in the gut. Sugars including fruit sugars (fructose) are not bad but in those with a compromised gut will still feed candida yeasts overgrowth. I would recommend eliminating them at least for a little while (a few weeks) and get the majority of your carbs from veggies like squash, carrots, broccoli (whichever ones you can tolerate). And up your fat intake. As chunkylard said Coconut oil/Ghee/butter are all good choices as are avocados. Nuts in themselves aren't bad but they are hard on the digestion which is why many people here may have issue with them. I would recommend nuts later as you heal your gut but if you'd like to try them now it is best to soak them in a jar overnight with salt sprinkled on them and dry them in your oven with the door open. This way the phytic acid is removed and it is more digestible. Even with that nuts should be eaten in moderation. I love them but they still give me issues, so now I substitute with coconut based ingredients like coconut flour. Squash is a good one and can make some pretty awesome pancakes with them using 3 eggs, 1/2 cup cut up cubed squash, and 1 tbl of almond butter, blend in blender and lightly fry in ghee/coconut oil or lard. I wouldn't count calories or follow fad diets. You shouldn't be focusing on solely your skin but your overall health as well. Eating a diet high in good fats, with grass fed meats and lots of yummy cooked veggies is very filling. I cook a mean eggplant parmesan (minus the parmesan-lol) that is breaded in coconut flour and has chunky grass fed meat sauce on it. I never feel hungry and my blood sugar is balanced. You shouldn't feel deprived, clean eating is far more filling and delicious than our processed modern diets. There are tons of recipes out there, google paleo or the specific carbohydrate diet recipes. Lots of good stuff!

A lot of things are bad in the short term.. but when you eat a diet that is high in fruit and starch you regain insulin sensitivity quickly.. When it comes to candida.. pure falacy in my opinion.. Its just microbial imbalance - not some rogue over growth than needs to be starved. My logic behind eating starch and fruit is simple.. consuming high starch and fruit diet is the quickest way to regain insulin sensitivity. Eating a high fat low carb diet is a much slower and more "taxing" way to do it. I believe digestion is also a culprit as you're not able to break down food properly and a high fat diet is very taxing on the body. Lots of bile and pancreatic enzymes are needed, and I believe someone whom is broken will be lacking in that department already - so it's fuel for the fire.

If someone eats a very strict diet for as little as a few weeks they can totally change their gut.. and their life. I am currently working on the most comprehensive plan for people to do it. I want to stomp out acne for GOOD. Some people get off on charity work, well I get off on helping people avoid the anguish that I went through for 10 years of my life. There are many superficial causes of acne.. but there is a common root in them all, and that's what I have found.

Edited by moonbase

A lot of things are bad in the short term.. but when you eat a diet that is high in fruit and starch you regain insulin sensitivity quickly.. When it comes to candida.. pure falacy in my opinion.. Its just microbial imbalance - not some rogue over growth than needs to be starved. My logic behind eating starch and fruit is simple.. consuming high starch and fruit diet is the quickest way to regain insulin sensitivity. Eating a high fat low carb diet is a much slower and more "taxing" way to do it. I believe digestion is also a culprit as you're not able to break down food properly and a high fat diet is very taxing on the body. Lots of bile and pancreatic enzymes are needed, and I believe someone whom is broken will be lacking in that department already - so it's fuel for the fire.

If someone eats a very strict diet for as little as a few weeks they can totally change their gut.. and their life. I am currently working on the most comprehensive plan for people to do it. I want to stomp out acne for GOOD. Some people get off on charity work, well I get off on helping people avoid the anguish that I went through for 10 years of my life. There are many superficial causes of acne.. but there is a common root in them all, and that's what I have found.

Candida is not a fallacy. But it shouldn't be targeted alone either. Where there is candida overgrowth there will also be parasites and bacterial overgrowth all elements of a bad gut. Fruits aren't horrible but I wouldn't agree with high fruit consumption. We as humans can live without fruit and obtain all our needed vitamins and minerals from other plant/food sources. They are not necessary. Fruit are like desert in my opinion. If you think high starch consumption is good for a bad gut, I would really beg to differ. The specific carbohydrate type diets have been around since before the 1940's. They put a major focus on avoiding specific carbohydrates/starches/grains due to the fact they all feed a bad gut environment. These diets are for healing those with disease and severe gut dysbiosis not simply acne. They are tried and true, healing people of severe crohns disease, bowel disorders etc. Fruits are allowed but in moderation and usually after period of abstaining from them. We will always have candida and parasites in our body but is about regaining the balance. Worms LOVE sugars that includes any sugar, honey and fruit, that is why it is best in my opinion to avoid them for a time. There are cult like followings to these diets due to the fact they do work and do heal and are proven to cure not only acne but disease states. I personally cannot tolerate fruit without experiencing horrible stomach pains. When I stopped fruit intake I had further jumps forward in my healing. Whenever I eat fruits or sugar (of any kind) I get major setbacks/flares. We are on the same page but simply differ in the smaller points. Its all about healing the digestive tract.

Unfortunately there is no evidence of candida other than in aids and terminally ill patients - so any further discussion is not worthwhile. Every supposed symptom of candida can be explained away by a damaged gut and improper bacterial balance. Believe me, I had all the "symptoms" of candida - and I even for a second believed in it.. however I also had full GI work. Endoscopy and Colonoscopy and there were no yeast colonies or any such garbage. I have never seen any clinical evidence to suggest this ridiculous notion that someone has a yeast overgrowth. Stop chasing ghosts, there are perfectly good explanations that actually make sense.

Why does everyone keep making the claim - well if you dont need it, it's not required. Well you dont need vegetables either, infact the only things that you can survive on alone is animal products. So should we toss fruit and veggies and eat only animal products? Cyclic argument.

And as a nice nail in the coffin.. I fixed myself with a high carb diet, high fruit, tuberous starch, and animal products. Case closed.

EDIT: Do me a favor and consume some fruit and starch.. you'll might find out just how "healed" you are...

EDIT2: I may sound brash - but the truth is people who go on a supposed candida diet often worsen their situation. There are many proper diets you can go on and they all have levels of effectiveness. I don't think there is one ideal diet either - but making a claim that X foods are bad no matter what without evidence is a little closed minded. It's a lot more complicated.

EDIT3: If you have insurance go get yourself a colonoscopy and endoscopy biopsy - I'd bet 99% that all that shows up is inflammation.

Edited by moonbase

Hight fat diet didn't work in my case, avocados, nuts, coconut oil causes me to break out when I eat them consistently and when I was doing the high fat diet the only carbs I had where veggies, leafy greens and no fruits. I can still eat them but the odd times. I also lost a lot of weight on that diet, was looking too skinny.

I eat sweet potatoes, yucca, potatoes, sometimes rice, some sprouted whole wheat, plantains and now I only get the odd little pimple sometimes around that time of the month.

The fat I get is from fish, organic goat milk just a little bit, turkey, a bit of butter. In general my diet is low fat, high in leafy greens and veggies and moderate carbs.

I think you can try sweet potatoes and squash to start with.

Actually thanks for the suggestion but I had private lab testing done by a naturopath and it was verified I had yeast overgrowth "candida albicans" to be specific amongst other parasitic organisms/bacteria. I would go to a GI specialist only I do not put complete trust in western Drs due to their very biased/pharmaceutical funded approach to health care. I am happy for you that you healed yourself through diet. It sounds like (from your other posts) that you are following a diet very close to the specific carb type diet anyway as they do allow fruits, so I am not surprised that you were healed especially since you seem to abstain from wheats/grains for the most part from what I have read, which would be crucial to healing your gut. I do not follow a candida diet either, candida diets did not work for me as they still allowed corn and rice (both grains) that caused me severe inflammation issues. My gut gets some pretty intense flare ups from consuming lots of fruit and starches so I'll take a pass on that test. The evidence on X foods being "bad" for the gut was not done by me at all, but by a Neurosergon Dr. Natasha Campbell Mcbride MD, MMedSci(neurology), MMedSci(nutrition) as well as Elaine Gottschall B.A., M. Sc. and this research is clinically backed by years of clinical experience, done by Dr. Haas MD since 1958. So I am not being close minded at all, it is simply that it has years upon years and case upon case of evidence, it's not simply my opinion but medically backed research.

I have no probs with my gut or dygestive system, all docs send me away with "ur healthy". My breakouts always appear the week before my period. Hormones are out of whack.

And for the one who wanted to gain some weight- eat 4-5 times a day, go to food and recipe sources, u'll find lot of healthy foods and recipes. Never over eat! Good luck!

I have no probs with my gut or dygestive system, all docs send me away with "ur healthy". My breakouts always appear the week before my period. Hormones are out of whack.

And for the one who wanted to gain some weight- eat 4-5 times a day, go to food and recipe sources, u'll find lot of healthy foods and recipes. Never over eat! Good luck!

Yeah, you probably have nothing to be worried about.

Nice icon, btw.

so due to the low gl diet, i have cut a lot of carbs from my diet, like white rice, potatoes and cereal. also hardly any juices, mostly water and fruits. the problem is i keep losing weight. over the past 2 months with this diet, i have lost 15 pounds and iam getting scared. i dont think its a good idea to cut all carbs out. the kativa ppl are acne free and 70% of their diet is carbs!! there has to be some kind of carbs we can eat. iam starting to look anorexic, and what has this diet done for my acne?? for little. my face is as oily as ever. can anyone tell me what iam doing wrong??

Yea, same here. I've lost 10-13 lbs either. But I was skipping breakfast and lunch. I had just snacks and dinner. Terrible, I know. Now, with my new diet I eat 4 times a day. During 2 weeks I gained 3 lbs, not much, but at least something's up.

What's your weight btw?

Edited by amy91

Eat a ton of tubers. Easy to digest and great way to up calories. My diet is relatively simple, but I just eat a lot. I'm a guy, very active, and always trying to grow. I eat 3-5 sweet potatoes/yams a day. Usually have a half dozen eggs as well. Plenty of coconut, and I love my organic peanut butter lol. I have about a half pound of PB a day, straight out of the jar with bananas.

What people have to remember is that acne is hugely influenced by your mind/psychological thinking. This site is great for pointers and that but leave it at that. Don't make yourself crazy over trying to perfect everything, your going to chase your tail with no end in sight. This forum is great and all but it seriously gave me crazy OCD for a bit last year, thinking everything I did had to be perfect to clear my skin. Like the peanut butter I eat, I used to think if I had any I would definitely break out. You have to just stick with a good game plan and just forget about it. If your living your life normally, just going through your day not thinking about skin, chances are your skin will get better.