Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LiveLaughFart

I Feel Ugly And Worthless

I feel trapped in my skin, like I can't break free or get out of it.

I feel like it's my parents fault, they never put sunscreen on me and made me eat fast food.

They did this to me.

It was my mom's genetics, she should have never reproduced.

She should have had an abortion when she saw me come out.

Why is my brother's skin normal?

Why do other girls my age have perfect skin?

Why am I the unlucky one.

This is what it feels like to be an ugly girl:

No guy would ever want anything to do with you.

Your invisible to everyone.

Life is harder, and more difficult.

People treat you terribly.

They yell at you, and are rude to you.

They see you as an evil person.

They think your a bad person.

Acne scars destroyed my mind.

I feel paralyzed.

I just want to escape but, my skin traps me.

I want to live but, my skin pushes me away.

I want to talk to people, but my skin prevents me.

I am trapped and the only way out is to have clear skin.

My parents did this to me and I will never forgive them

It's all their fault.

They made me an ugly creature.

They gave me this terrible life I have no choice but to live through.

My daily life is a chore.

School is a chore, just to get a job just to get money so i can pay for my skin to heal.

Everything revolves around my skin.

I look down so no one stares.

I look away so no one see's, all the pain I go through.

I don't go out in daylight, only at night.

At night I'm free in the darkness because no one can see me.

No one can see the mess on my face.

I'm alive but I am not living. I am existing.

I advise you to muster up some money and buy Dan's regimen on here. Then after a couple months you can write a poem on all the benifits Dans regimen gives you.

Also known as the Acne.org regiemn

While I'm pretty sure I'm going to sound like an asshole by saying this, I'm going to give my honest opinion anyway because I doubt any amount of sympathy will really be able to help you much. Do I feel absolutely horrible for you? Do I agree that you've been cheated out of a lot of opportunities in life because of your acne? Of course. I know that, you certainly know that; anybody who has suffered from moderate to severe acne can probably empathize as well. On the other hand, if you want people who haven't been in your shoes before to just suddenly/automatically give you more "breaks" in life because of your acne, then you're out of luck. YES acne is going to put you at a disadvantage in many ways, some of them visible, many of them not.

In the end, you only really have two courses of action if you want to get out of this shitty situaiton: (1) change your acne, and (2) change your attitude. Ultimately I'd argue that you have to do a little bit of both to get out of the dark spell you're in right now, but quite frankly I think it's much easier to fix the first than the second. There are plenty of resources on this site that can point you on the way to your first, so I'd definitely take a poke around (if you haven't already) and try different methods - everything from diet to topicals to Accutane if you really need it. Everybody needs a little bit of hope in order to keep going, and finding a solution for your acne will help you a lot in that.

Of course, getting rid of your acne won't do all the work, so you really ought to think about improving your attitude as well. You can justifiably be angry and resentful over your situation and have a more positive outlook at the same time, so it's not like you just need to magically ~accept~ your acne and all the shit its brought you overnight because righteous anger is a type, albeit a much maligned type, of self-respect (you know what you deserve/don't deserve). But you can't just play the victim and start pointing fingers at your parents either, saying that they're completely to blame for your acne because they're not, and even if they were then so what? Their "blame" would at most be completely unintentional (unless you live with complete monsters of parents in which case just run far, far away) and it's not like they can just magically wave a wand and "fix" you either - ultimately you have to be your own saviour rather than your own biggest bully. You are projecting your own insecurities and self-hatred onto people where both these things often completely do not exist - because yes, there are tons of superficial jerks in this world, but give friends and strangers alike a little more credit.

You're right in that your life is going to be limited by acne, but you do have a little more say in just how limited it has to be than you currently think.

I feel like it's my parents fault, they never put sunscreen on me and made me eat fast food.

They did this to me.

I feel paralyzed.

It's all their fault.

School is a chore, just to get a job just to get money so i can pay for my skin to heal.

i can relate to every word you said. except i dont have a job. or a brother

but dont blame your parents, they really do care about you and want you to be happy.

i really agree with hotburrito's advice ^^ DO SOMETHING, i mean, there has to be SOMETHING thats going to get you to clear skin. if youve really tried every acne treatment on the planet and nothings worked, then you have more of a right to complain

and being more optimistic helped me get out of the "acne funk." haha. say bye to stress

i see youre from OC! haaaaaay!

but seriously??? people tell you things like that based on your skin? people are so nice in my area (or at least they say it behind your back instead of insulting you to your face, if they insult you at all. otherwise they either dont care, or say it in a kind of concerned tone)

anyways, some people are just like that. you can either stand up to them, or ignore them. but you cant just sit there and hope they realize that what theyre doing is wrong and that theyll apologize and everyone holds hands while skipping off into the sunset. just dont become the bad guy yourself

I advise you to muster up some money and buy Dan's regimen on here. Then after a couple months you can write a poem on all the benifits Dans regimen gives you.

Also known as the Acne.org regiemn

I SECOND THAT. DKR FTW

My skin is till going to be ugly even if I don't have any more pimples, I don't have just regular pimples, I have weird skin, I'm not even sure what kid of acne I have, it's a combination of a lot of types of acne combined with different type of scarring. I wish I only had pimples, but I have weird exotic types of acne on my face that I have no idea what it's called. The skin on my face looks completely different than my hand.

I can't really see myself in a possitive light or have any confidence because so many people in my life were mean to me and called me ugly, and said bad things about how I look, and made fun of me because of my skin...that I have no confidence.

The only reason i think im ugly is because other people told me I was, I remember when I was a lot younger, before anyone ever said anything cruel to me, I thought I was perfect/pretty...then when so many people called me ugly i started to believe them. If I never got told I was ugly, I would have confidence and still think I am pretty..the words people say to you really make an impact on how you see yourself. I never even thought my nose was big until people told me over and over again, now i believe them and am getting a nose job. If no one ever said anything about my nose I would have never gotten a nose job.

So I learned that confidence is shaped by what people tell you when your growing up. Even my parents told me I was ugly once I got acne and scarring. They just laugh like it doesn't bother me or that it won't destroy my self-esteem.

Edit: I am trying to do something about my skin with diet and TCA peels and TCA cross for the scars but it's a really long road. I haven't even started to treat my scars because i still have acne. And I try and go on acne diets but i give up after 5 days.

Edited by Ugly skin disease

My skin is till going to be ugly even if I don't have any more pimples, I don't have just regular pimples, I have weird skin, I'm not even sure what kid of acne I have, it's a combination of a lot of types of acne combined with different type of scarring. I wish I only had pimples, but I have weird exotic types of acne on my face that I have no idea what it's called. The skin on my face looks completely different than my hand.

I can't really see myself in a possitive light or have any confidence because so many people in my life were mean to me and called me ugly, and said bad things about how I look, and made fun of me because of my skin...that I have no confidence.

The only reason i think im ugly is because other people told me I was, I remember when I was a lot younger, before anyone ever said anything cruel to me, I thought I was perfect/pretty...then when so many people called me ugly i started to believe them. If I never got told I was ugly, I would have confidence and still think I am pretty..the words people say to you really make an impact on how you see yourself. I never even thought my nose was big until people told me over and over again, now i believe them and am getting a nose job. If no one ever said anything about my nose I would have never gotten a nose job.

So I learned that confidence is shaped by what people tell you when your growing up. Even my parents told me I was ugly once I got acne and scarring. They just laugh like it doesn't bother me or that it won't destroy my self-esteem.

Edit: I am trying to do something about my skin with diet and TCA peels and TCA cross for the scars but it's a really long road. I haven't even started to treat my scars because i still have acne. And I try and go on acne diets but i give up after 5 days.

dont get a nose job! (hope im not too late :/ )

i read this article in seventeen mag (hehe) about this girl who got a nose job after being made fun of at school and she said she went from "the girl with the big nose" to "the girl with the nose job"

the only thing that should matter is whether YOU like the way YOU look. dont let other people decide that for you

wow, i cant believe your parents say that. make sure they know that it bothers you

and its good that youre doing something to take care of your skin, good luck! get good skin and show off your beautiful face to all those people who insulted you

I know what you feel like. My mother had acne until her 30s. I wish I was never born, and as long as I live I will never reproduce. I would never do something that cruel to an innocent helpless human.

dont get a nose job! (hope im not too late :/ )

i read this article in seventeen mag (hehe) about this girl who got a nose job after being made fun of at school and she said she went from "the girl with the big nose" to "the girl with the nose job"

the only thing that should matter is whether YOU like the way YOU look. dont let other people decide that for you

wow, i cant believe your parents say that. make sure they know that it bothers you

and its good that youre doing something to take care of your skin, good luck! get good skin and show off your beautiful face to all those people who insulted you

I already decided that I'm going to get a nose job..maybe in a few years but it's hard not to when you have memories of being laughed at for having a big nose and have people not take you seriously..it makes me want to get plastic surgery to become perfect so I can get back at all those people that made fun of me.

Yes, I'm trying really hard to save my skin. I think in a year from now my skin will look normal.

I know what you feel like. My mother had acne until her 30s. I wish I was never born, and as long as I live I will never reproduce. I would never do something that cruel to an innocent helpless human.

My Mom got acne in her 30s and now is in her 40s almost 50 and she still has acne, and her acne is terrrrrible...the worst I have ever seen in my life actually, worse than any picture on this acne.org. When I was little I thought I'm never gonna have acne but, it happened to me and I don't want to end up with skin like my Mom's so it motivates me to stay on my acne diet.

I feel the same...I don't ever want to reproduce because I don't have good genes, and I don't want my child to suffer through what I have gone through, psycologically from having bad skin and being ugly. I'm going to adopt when I get older.

I don't even want kids. I don't want to have a kid go through what I did, but if I say that people freak out like I'm an asshole for wanting to protect another human being from the horrors of acne.

They did this to me.

I feel paralyzed.

It's all their fault.

1. You're not ugly, your facial features are pretty

2. You're just super depressed and u'll probably forget all these negative things you said abour urself.

3. Never give up! Try new things,help your skin, it'll go away eventually

4. Don't blame your parents. Appreciate the life they gave you ( even if it seems worthless)

I understand, you needed to vent. I can relate to some of those feelings you have. But learn to love yourself no matter how u look. You're more than your acne.

I know, acne can ruin your self-esteem, cause lack of confidece and lots of insecurities, anxities. It can make you super depressed. But when you think outside of the box, you notice pple who are acne free, but still experiencing the same problems. So don't blame everything on acne. You think your life will change completely as u get clear skin, but u might me wrong. Don't put your life on hold.

My skins wierd too, lots of huge pores and blackheads on my nose, alot of red marks and discolouration (I burnt my face using a stupid tanning lamp a few yrs back and got 2nd degree burens all over my face and neck)....Life can be cruel...but I guess there are ALWAYS people worse off then ourselves, and somehow we just have to thank ourselves lucky....and be happy that we have a good life.

Is that you on your profile picture? Because if it is you have nothing to be ashamed of! I honestly think you're really pretty, and maybe you need help to learn to see yourself through the eyes of people who love and care for you (yes, there are people who care about you) instead of looking at yourself thorugh the eyes of old bullies.

You are worthy of just as much love and happiness in your life as anyone - with or without acne.

Maybe you should consider seeing a therapist? I think therapy is a wonderful thing, and it has helped me greatly in finding love and acceptance for myself. Reading your post makes me think that you might get something good out of talking to someone. It's a great way to build trust and confidence.

And as hard as living with acne is I think we all need to let go a bit. I mean, it's a bi*ch and we feel terrible but sometimes just putting on a shitload of makeup and going out and doing stuff anyway can be really good. Just kicking acne in the face. It has such massive power over us (for good reasons, of course), but I think a tiny, healthy dose of "f*ck you acne" can be a good thing. Just challenging that power it has over our lives and reclaiming space in public as non-perfect, real people. "We're here, we have acne, get used to it."

And as hard as living with acne is I think we all need to let go a bit. I mean, it's a bi*ch and we feel terrible but sometimes just putting on a shitload of makeup and going out and doing stuff anyway can be really good. Just kicking acne in the face. It has such massive power over us (for good reasons, of course), but I think a tiny, healthy dose of "f*ck you acne" can be a good thing. Just challenging that power it has over our lives and reclaiming space in public as non-perfect, real people. "We're here, we have acne, get used to it."

Got to agree with what other people have said so far in this topic, especially this. You are not ugly or worthless and you definitely don't have anything to be ashamed of.

Today, my skin was especially crap, I was in a bad mood and felt the rest of the day would be ruined, but after scrutinizing my skin in the mirror for what seems like an age, I came to the conclusion of 'you know what, f*ck it, I don't even care' and actually had a really good day. Sometimes I think we all over-scrutinize our skin due to being unhappy/upset about it, making us even more unhappy. Sometimes you have to challenge yourself to forget what other people think, if they have a problem with your appearance, then its their problem, not yours.

No one wants to have acne and its not something we can just 'fix' easily. What we can 'fix' however is our attitudes towards it and mood in general, keep going, stay positive and you help yourself, a lot. Remember you are not alone.

wow, emotional thread.....right of the bat you're NOT ugly, but as long as you tell yourself you are, you'll feel that way, no one can help you with that (but we'll try:)). Second, dont blame your parents, you're just putting unecessary distance between you and them, talk to them and let them know you need their love and support; i lost my best-dad-in-the-world a few years ago to cancer, and it kills me that i spent so much time whining about acne to him when all those moments could have been so much more. Third, acne is no reason to give up on kids, i cant wait to be a dad someday! even if i pass on acne through genetics, I believe that it'll make my kids stronger, more compassionate and humble, the way i feel acne has made me.

My advice would be find a hobby that relaxes you(piano for me), and think about your situation ONLY when you've relaxed cuz thats the only time you'll think rationally

I know I need to try and find other hobies, and I'm starting to realize that being perfect looking isn't everything. I mean we are all going to grow old and die, right?

Indeed we are, and I'll bet my arse that at that point we'll regret spending so much time in front of the mirror when we look back. And I feel miserable too, and I spend too much time worrying about my looks. But I guess it's better to know it's stupid and try to do something about it instead of just being obsessive in ignorance.

There's so much more to a person than looks. Ooooooldest cliché ever, but its effin true.

I can relate to those feelings in your original post. I also was told I was ugly when I was a teen and that has stuck with me. I'm sorry you're going through this too. I agree with what some others have said.

This needs to be addressed on two levels. 1) Trying to treat the acne and 2) Dealing with the emotional effects and your self-image.

I have found that when my skin is better, it doesn't totally make me feel better about myself because the way I see myself is distorted simply because I believed things people said a long time ago. Remember, as you are treating the acne, that you are so much more than your skin and your looks. Everybody gets old and turns into prunes anyway. In fact, we're likely to look less prune-like later into life because our skin isn't as dry. Personally, I really don't care how other people look. I think there are nice people out there and some have even seen me as pretty in spite of acne. Some of the acne-prone people in this forum even have boyfriends and girlfriends.

For the emotions/self image: I'm looking at a book - feeling good about how you look by sabine wilhelm. It's a book about body dysmorphic disorder, which I don't think I have, but it's still helpful for dealing with self-image issues. I also spoke with a minister about this and he gave me a list of verses that describe how God sees me. The idea is to base my self-image on that instead of what other people said about me. If anyone is interested, please PM me or e-mail me at [email protected] and I will send you the list of verses that encourages me.

Take care, I wish you the best, I know this is a struggle, but don't give up, there is hope, both for the acne and the self-image.

-Melissa

I haven't replied to this before now as I couldn't quite work out what I wanted to say. Of course, everyone else has said the things I would have during that time so I'd only be covering old ground. I have however been thinking that, had I replied to the topic this time last week, my reply would have been different to what I will say now. This time last week, my skin was looking great. Fast-forward to today and it's horrible; all broken out, red and sore, painful and gross.

I think for anyone who links the way they believe others perceive them and also their feelings about themselves to their appearance is probably going to struggle to find their true value. So for those of us who suffer with acne and our appearance can fluctuate in that respect, it's near impossible to find that value and that stability if we can't even see what's beyond the outside. The worst thing is, that's the first part of us which everyone sees and that's what everyone judges us on. That's a fact. If it wasn't, we wouldn't have been bullied or had to suffer being called "ugly" by other people, or whatever. I mean, I was always told my acne was ugly and I believe that, Therefore, as long as the acne or any sign of it is present, I would belive myself to be ugly because that is what people said and nobody has shown me otherwise. People could tell me all day long that it wasn't the case or write about how I'm wrong, but until someone actually comes and shows me otherwise and actually demonstrates that they see beyond my skin, everything serves only to strengthen that belief of ugliness or worthlessness, or whatever it may be.

What saddens me most is that the people behind the acne are genuine and nice and humble, even if I do say so myself, but we hardly get the chance to shine because society doesn't hang around long enough to see past it.

I'm sure we can beat the acne one day, and then the emotional side of things, but it's just so damn hard and it's such a struggle to carry on hoping and to not just give up on it all. Personally, I've tried and tried for thirteen years and, aside from a few times where I've cleared up, it hasn't really got me anywhere at all. Almost unable to see that point in that or anything now, such is my focus on my skin. Treatments never quite fix my skin and therapy, although helpful, comes to and end and then I end up back where I was before. It's just so disheartening to experience these things and for us all to still be stuck with it into adulthood feels very unfair because it only seems to get harder with age.

Edited by PaulH85

I mean we are all going to grow old and die, right?

No. I will not die, and I will probably live with acne forever.

Edited by Heir

thx for your posts.

I know I need to try to get rid of my acne but ITS SO HARD.

I breakout after eating certain types of food that is just difficult to avoid. I've gotten clear ONCE, and I felt great while being clear but, my mood changes based on how my skin is. If I have good skin, I feel good, if my skin looks nasty, i feel terrible.

I just want my acne to be gone but, it's hard to get their because i believe i can have clear skin if i just only eat raw fruits and raw vegetables for a few months...but the problem is it's extremely difficult to eat that way because other good tasting food calms my nerves..

I honestly just wish I wasn't so sensitive to so many types of food, because it's hard to live w/o good tasting food.