Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LiveLaughFart

How Do You Stay Motivated?

I realized that the toughest part of nutrition is staying motivated to not eat the foods that break you out. I realized that the only way I can be clear is if I have motivation. I know exactly what the foods are that forsure won't break me out and I know exactly what I need to avoid. I have my diet written on paper but, I can't actually keep at it for longer than 5 days.

I eventually lose hope and say, "why am I doing this anymore, do I really want clear skin THAT bad?" Then I eat something bad and end up hateing myself for ending my diet. I start diets that never last. I'm starting to see the pattern with my acne diets.

So what keeps you motivated to stay on a restricted diet? How do you get into the right mind set to stay on a restricted diet for 2 long months?

sometimes there are ways around it.. like for me, i can't eat sugar and i love junk food. so i eat sugar free junk =) i love cereal but can't use the milk... so i use almond milk. so for certain things you can substitute. others that can't be substituted.. you just gotta stay determined.

it's enough just to know that if you eat bad food, then you know your skin will look shitty. When you're about to eat a bag of chips, imagine lots of large pustules oozzing from your face

Get excited for what you know is good for you, your tastes will modify. Also when you crave things like cheezits (see what they did there?) just imagine the factory process and like squares of antinutrients being baked at high temperatures (cancer city).

Get excited for what you know is good for you, your tastes will modify. Also when you crave things like cheezits (see what they did there?) just imagine the factory process and like squares of antinutrients being baked at high temperatures (cancer city).

I second this.

Also - Read a whole lot - and you want to eat chemical soup anymore. You wont miss crap food when you eat GOOD food. Have you ever eaten at a fancy restaurant.. Thats good food and most of the time pretty healthy. Think about eating like that every day, for every meal... grilled cheese and potato chips just dont compare. Also, you can make most junk food in a healthy way while you transition.

Hey Uglyskindisease- What is your diet like? Paleo? Vegetarian? gluten free? Just Curious.

No, I basically am just trying to eat only raw fruits, and some vegetables like carrots, and lettuce, olive oil, and anything that I know forsure own't break me out.

I'm cutting out: nuts, cooked food, pepper, all seasonings, starchy vegetables, grains, dairy, lentils, beans, dried fruit, wheat, processed food, refined sugar, natural sugar (agave nectar, etc), vegetables that have to be cooked in order to be edible.

I actually don't crave the food you guys mentioned, I don't really like chips, ice cream or junk food like that. I just crave things like baked sweet potatoes, mexican rice, pasta, and cooked veggies. Those types of foods make me feel comforted.

I usually give up my diet on the 5th day, that's when I lose motivation and want rice and potatoes.

Hey Uglyskindisease- What is your diet like? Paleo? Vegetarian? gluten free? Just Curious.

No, I basically am just trying to eat only raw fruits, and some vegetables like carrots, and lettuce, olive oil, and anything that I know forsure own't break me out.

I'm cutting out: nuts, cooked food, pepper, all seasonings, starchy vegetables, grains, dairy, lentils, beans, dried fruit, wheat, processed food, refined sugar, natural sugar (agave nectar, etc), vegetables that have to be cooked in order to be edible.

I actually don't crave the food you guys mentioned, I don't really like chips, ice cream or junk food like that. I just crave things like baked sweet potatoes, mexican rice, pasta, and cooked veggies. Those types of foods make me feel comforted.

I usually give up my diet on the 5th day, that's when I lose motivation and want rice and potatoes.

Sweet potatoes are some of my favorite things to have for breakfast or when it's cold, they're full of nutrients and by no means should be avoided. Buuuut if you're not into cooking things (even at low temperatures ? most veggies only need to be lightly steamed ) then yeah, you're also making it kind of hard for yourself. And there are many anti-inflammatory seasonings (by this I'm assuming you mean herbs/spices) with various other properties that are good for someone with acne (adaptogens, rubefacients, emollients, to name a few).

I think you're on the right track and seem pretty ready to face the diet thing head on. Just remember you can't fill a cup that's already full. Don't consecrate anything in your life unless it feels so good/right that it naturally becomes second nature. 100% aloe vera is also very soothing to the insides, try drinking a lot of that if you can find it.

Sweet potatoes are some of my favorite things to have for breakfast or when it's cold, they're full of nutrients and by no means should be avoided. Buuuut if you're not into cooking things (even at low temperatures ? most veggies only need to be lightly steamed ) then yeah, you're also making it kind of hard for yourself. And there are many anti-inflammatory seasonings (by this I'm assuming you mean herbs/spices) with various other properties that are good for someone with acne (adaptogens, rubefacients, emollients, to name a few).

I think you're on the right track and seem pretty ready to face the diet thing head on. Just remember you can't fill a cup that's already full. Don't consecrate anything in your life unless it feels so good/right that it naturally becomes second nature. 100% aloe vera is also very soothing to the insides, try drinking a lot of that if you can find it.

I didn't know it was drinkable lol.

For some reason, I feel like I can't eat sweet potatoes, so I'm trying to go on a realllly restricted diet, one that I know I'll be 100% cured, so that I can introduce the food I actually want to eat...like potatoes and brown rice, and maybe soy sauce, brown rice with braggs soy sauce sounds like the perfect meal!! I wish I could get to a point in my life where I can actually eat it.

I even thought of taking a topical acne approach just so I can eat the food I love, like vegetable pasta, mexican rice, tabooli salad with soy sauce, and soo much more good food.

Seasonings are pretty much all highly anti-inflammatory if they come from a plant. And so, OP, you are saying you know that sweet potatoes and other cooked foods break you out?

Honestly nothing like that has ever been a problem for me. I've fasted for weeks in the interest of curing my skin in the past. My skin problem was severely painful and disfiguring. I probably would have sold my soul to the devil to cure it at some points. I can't even fathom knowingly eating something that would trigger it.

I don't know if motivation has much with to do with it for me personally. I was just tired of breaking out daily and the same boring routine of waking up, finding spots, trying to get rid of said spots, getting new spots.

Good topic! A lot of the things that break me out also trigger my migraines. So, I have an added incentive to stay away. But those those that don't... once I equated those amazing PB chocolate bars (my weakness) with breaking out, I just don't want it. If you don't keep it in your house, you won't be able to eat it. Going out is hard (they serve bread to you before you even order!!!), so I avoid that or if it's a social dinner I eat before and just get side dishes.

You diet is strict though, I thought I had it hard! Nightshades are a good thing to avoid though. I wish I knew what exactly triggered my acne, it seems like I add more and more to the list every week.