Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deborah30

Is It Safe To Use A Dermaroller And Retin A Gel At The Same Time?

Can I just ask a question. Alot of people on here are saying you can use Retin A and a dermaroller at the same time. The plastic surgeons on the NHS say u must be off retin A for at least a year before you use any acne scar treatments like laser, chemical peel and i presume needling aswell. I think cause the skin is more sensitive and could be more prone to scarring after being on it. Who has been advised its ok to use the two combined? Was it a plastic surgeon or dermatologist?

The answer is yes. Tretinoin, otherwise commonly known as Retin-A, is a synthetic Vitamin A derivative that has been available for the treatment of skin conditions such as acne, skin aging as reflected by wrinkling, and photoaging, etc. Tretinoin comes in cream forms ranging in strengths from 0.02% to 0.1%, and in gel forms ranging from 0.01% to 0.1%.

Depending on your skin type and other factors individuals can have various commonly observed skin reactions including redness, swelling, peeling, stinging, irritation, etc. The side-effects diminish as the concentration of the applied Retin-A gel or cream is diminished. Often times even when the concentration is diminished side-effects are still observed. The reason for the side-effects is simply that you are applying a concentrated chemical that remains topically on the skin. To avoid side-effects and increase the efficacy of Retin-A or similar compounds the answer is simple. Either decrease the strength of the Retin-A or increase the penetration of the Retin-A into the lower layers of your skin. A higher concentration of Retin-A does not necessarily equate to better results. In fact less is more in this case.

The Dermaroller® (otherwise known as the Home Roller C8) with 0.2 mm length microneedles can accomplish the goal. However, and this point is very important, you will have to decrease the strength of the Retin-A that you’re using by half or more because tretinoin is being delivered into the skin rather than sitting on the skin, thus it becomes more effective and the side-effects will diminish.

Can i ask who told you this? Its just strange beauty salons in the UK say u have to wait 6 months of being off retin A before doing needling and the NHS plastic surgeons say a whole year. It seems as though alot of people on here are actually doing it before and after treatment. Do you apply it before and after? Or is it not safer to wait until the next day when it has healed over?

ps thanks for replying. Has this technique really helped your acne scarring also?

you may be mistaking Rentin-A with Accutane? Rentin-A is a topical as we both stated, but accutane is an oral drug with plenty of side effects. Since it is fat soluble you should stop the oral dosage about 2-3 months prior to the medical dermaroller® procedure. I am sorry, but when you say beauty salons are you speaking about a doctor or a corner shop that tries to make money off their clients by trying to play doctor? Doctors that perform the medical dermaroller® procedure are trained to ask these types of questions before they perform the procedure. Post procedure you should wait about 4 weeks until you apply the rentin-a with or without the home dermaroller®. If you do use the home dermaroller® .2mm you may want to consider reducing the strength and start lightly on a section of your face to see how your skin will react. That way if your skin reacts too much you can reduce the strength and not over do it. Make sure any cream or serum that you use does not contain extra drivers such as PEGs. And stay clear of parabens. Most all skin care creams have never been tested together as a combined product for short or long term health or skin safety. When you use the home dermaroller® you drive these chemicals deeper into your epidermis. These types of creams were never meant to go so deep into your skin. They were only meant to pass a higher percentage of cream thru your stratum corneum(SC) such as 1-3%. The roller drives 100% of the cream thru the SC and this can be very dangerous.

It was defo Retin A although Accutane is alot stronger. Ive had that before aswell. Im very wary of beauty salons but if this one just wanted my money they wouldnt have told me they wouldnt perform any needling for 6 months after being off Retin A. I still wouldnt go to them though. I think only plastic surgeons should deal with your face. On the NHS its only them that are allowed to deal with scarring. Not even dermatologists. The plastic surgeon on the NHS is even stricter than the salons and says a year before he will work on skin after Retin A. He said it made your skin more sensitive and more likely to scar. Although as your probs aware all the prodecures u get done to your face, laser, chemical peels etc all have a risk of scarring and pigment change as it is without the skin being more sensitive and thinner on retin A. I think if i do some needling i wont do it on the same day as i apply my Retin until I speak to the plastic surgeon. DId a surgeon give u this information?

ps has this made much difference to your scarring?

First, I need to tell you that I am not very familiar with the NHS since I reside in the US. How I arrive at my information is from medical doctors in the US who are very knowledgeable and familiar with Dermaroller®s. They are dermatologists, plastic surgeons and general practitioners who know about the skin and skin disorders, and their treatment.

You see, Vitimin A in any form, be it retinoic acid or tretinoin, is what is called a fat soluble vitamin. This means that it can penetrate the skin because it contains fatty components thus it can penetrate the outer layer of the skin. In contrast, vitamin C is water soluble and can’t penetrate the skin.

Frankly, using Retin-A did not change my scarring significantly. What did change my scarring was after I had the Dermaroller medical procedure. It was the only procedure left for me to try after failing chempeels, laser, etc. I went to a lecture given by a Dermaroller trained physician in the US. He explained all the potential causes of acne. I went to see him. I was taken of glutens, dairy and eggs. My intestines were not functioning correctly so he recommended some supplements and probiotics. Within 45 days I was no longer breaking out. My skin began to look much better. After following his recommendations for 90 days, I decided to try the procedure. OMG, I can truthfully say that after 6 weeks my face improved 70+ %. I am very grateful to my doc.

Thats fantastic about your skin now. Yeah thats totally fine. I just wondered if it was plastic surgeons saying that in america cause its so strict here. Interesting to know what other people recommend. We dont pay here though so obviously when your going private anywhere you need to be wary. As long as its not done your skin any further harm using them combined. Clearly it hasnt if its really improved. My surgeon here said he doesnt ever do needling cause he thinks its ineffective :( He will only do c02 laser or chemical peels. He told me pretty much that id be wasting my time getting a chemical peel done though cause they dont really do anythin for scars :( Probs just erase fine lines. Ill speak to him again about the needling though cause i cant face anymore C02. I got it done once and my face swelled about 2 to 3 times in size. I also have health problems and think thats why im so prone to break outs. Probably why my body struggled to drain fluid after the c02 laser aswell. Although they told me in hospital alot of people can swell as much as that. Ah its awful what we have to go through to try and get better skin! I wonder what size of a roller your doctor used? Im just using 0.5mm ones for home use.