Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LiveLaughFart

Vegetables Are Bad For You?

I was reading about the wai diet and it says vegetables are bad for you because they need to be cooked in order to digest and heating food is unnatural so only foods that can be eaten raw are healthy...is this true?

No theyre the best thing you can eat to clear acne. But all veggies should be steamed or lightly cooked, since they are hard to digest when eaten raw, and can cause stomach problems. I steam or lightly cook all my veggies.

false, thats like saying eating chicken breasts raw is healthy.... raw chicken breasts are filled with bacteria and germs that can be fatal when eaten

Edited by ohhhhhhnooooooo

Guest Timehealsall

how should these veggies be cooked than?

is steaming them okay?

Fun Fact #4:

In a study on mice. 2 Groups of mice were fed a diet of either Raw or canned vegetables. The group that received raw vegetables developed cancer and died prematurely. The group that ate canned vegetables thrived.

With that said - there is a lot of conflicting information going around about vegetables.. Best bet is to cook them in my opinion.

I think in those who have optimal digestion, eating raw veggies is probably not going to be a problem, but as a large amount of the population has some sort of related gut issue, cooking veggies would be the best choice. If the foods come out looking the same as they went in you aren't digesting them. A very good way to get your veggies in in homemade soup broths. When you cook them with both the chicken carcass (in chicken soup) you get both the good effects from the bone marrow as well as the minerals and vitamins from the veggies in the broth. This is the easiest on digestion. Cooking until tender/slightly soft would be best, try not to eat them burnt or overdone.

I've tried both ways over time. Much better to cook vegetables in my opinion. Especially with things like Broccoli. It's one of the best vegetables that nature offers, but eating it raw is just problematic if, like myheartsholistic states, you haven't got optimal digestion.

Aside from that, you really do need to make sure your raw food has been scrubbed properly to get rid of bacteria. There's been a couple of e. coli outbreaks in Europe in vegetable/salad produce.

Fun Fact #4:

In a study on mice. 2 Groups of mice were fed a diet of either Raw or canned vegetables. The group that received raw vegetables developed cancer and died prematurely. The group that ate canned vegetables thrived.

With that said - there is a lot of conflicting information going around about vegetables.. Best bet is to cook them in my opinion.

Or put them in a can.

I think you'll find the more nutrition research you do, the more you'll find things wrong with just about EVERY food. Some people stay away from fruits, and some people claim that vegetables are spawn of Satan. It's really not a black & white thing (i.e. vegetables are straight up good/bad). I find it's better to weight the pros and cons. There are tons of nutrients in vegetables, but they can be hard to digest raw, etc. Most importantly, try things and see what you can handle yourself. It can be easy to go through these forums and get really confused because of opposing viewpoints, but more often than not, it's all about getting lots of nutrients, avoiding a select few things, and have foods that are pretty easily digestable.

That being said, I have a question about green smoothies. Are the vegetables better cooked and then blended, or does it matter if they are raw?

I think you'll find the more nutrition research you do, the more you'll find things wrong with just about EVERY food. Some people stay away from fruits, and some people claim that vegetables are spawn of Satan. It's really not a black & white thing (i.e. vegetables are straight up good/bad). I find it's better to weight the pros and cons. There are tons of nutrients in vegetables, but they can be hard to digest raw, etc. Most importantly, try things and see what you can handle yourself. It can be easy to go through these forums and get really confused because of opposing viewpoints, but more often than not, it's all about getting lots of nutrients, avoiding a select few things, and have foods that are pretty easily digestable.

That being said, I have a question about green smoothies. Are the vegetables better cooked and then blended, or does it matter if they are raw?

I totally agree with you, I have been researching healthy eating since I was 17 and now I'm almost 20 and all the information on the internet is conflicting but, one thing that remains is that cooked vegetables are easier to digest and raw vegetables have more nutrients. So if you juice the vegetables they become easily digestible AND they have all their nutrients.

The only bad thing is you have to wash the blendar, my hands get so dry when they touch water so it's annoying.

I thought eating veggies raw were good. What about when your making a green smoothie? I should cook/ steam my veggies before blending them?

No that would be really funny if you cooked the vegetables before blending them, you would have hot soup instead of juice.

It's best to leave them raw when your juicing them because that's the whole point of juicing, to get all the nutrients.

idk, I find things like spinach, ginger, and garlic do wonders for my skin. If by unhealthy they mean certain antinutrients, I'm pretty much convinced that they don't matter nearly as much as avoiding gluten, dairy, soy, excess sugar, and the real bad stuff are.

To answer your question tunnel, I just throw them in uncooked. I buy frozen fruits and veggies (cheaper and more nutritious that way), let them thaw a bit, and throw them into the blender along with things like hemp protein, spirulina powder, chia seed gel, and sometimes extra virgin coconut oil.

Juicers are cool because you have a bunch of leftover veggie/fruit pulp to use as a base for different stuff. My blender is old and cumbersome and I only use it to blend spices/unsweetened cocoa with coconut milk to heat for hot cocoa. Don't remember the last time I made a smoothie with it...

Tim, how long do you let chia seeds soak? Is it like psyllium husk where it just sits for 20ish seconds? I haven't used 'em before and I just found some in the cabinet...(I must've been doing something right when the san francisco gods blessed me with health-conscious guy housemates rolleyes.gif)

Juicers are a great investment, because you can put the pulp back in or use it in your food. I make some delicious veggie muffins and carrot cake whenever I have a lot left over.

Juicers are cool because you have a bunch of leftover veggie/fruit pulp to use as a base for different stuff. My blender is old and cumbersome and I only use it to blend spices/unsweetened cocoa with coconut milk to heat for hot cocoa. Don't remember the last time I made a smoothie with it...

Tim, how long do you let chia seeds soak? Is it like psyllium husk where it just sits for 20ish seconds? I haven't used 'em before and I just found some in the cabinet...(I must've been doing something right when the san francisco gods blessed me with health-conscious guy housemates rolleyes.gif)

When I juice, the pulp goes towards the next days breakfast. Not the tastiest of meals, but mix it up with fish and it's bearable.

Guest pokemonster

hm, well i understand that juicing is very healthy and pulp is fiber and nutrients too and all but when you think about it..whats the point of juicing if you eat that pulp later anyway?

like why juice that carrot, drink it but then later cook and eat that pulp, instead of just simply eating a carrot? well i understand different foods etc..but healthwise? is there any difference in jucing/eating it separately and simply eating whole veggetable? =/

Edited by pokemonster

hm, well i understand that juicing is very healthy and pulp is fiber and nutrients too and all but when you think about it..whats the point of juicing if you eat that pulp later anyway?

like why juice that carrot, drink it but then later cook and eat that pulp, instead of just simply eating a carrot? well i understand different foods etc..but healthwise? is there any difference in jucing/eating it separately and simply eating whole veggetable? =/

Juice takes less time to digest, so your digestive system takes a rest and your immune system can work more efficiently. Whole vegetables take a lot longer to digest

Not everyone likes the pulp. It's better they get some fresh veggie/fruit juice than nothing at all, wouldn't you say? Sometimes I just want some carrot juice without the pulp in it. I know the pulp provides the bulk of the fiber and many nutrients and just the juice alone isn't as healthy but it's a nice treat.

Besides, the pulp has a million and one uses. You can even use it for compost if you're into gardening.

Bio availability

vegetables are very good for our health.. :)

you can try blending green smoothie...

tossing up vegetables to your smoothie :)

Here's my favorite green smoothie recipe

1 large apple, cored and sliced

1 large stalk of celery

½ cup kale, chopped

½ cup fresh cilantro

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

½ tablespoon ginger

8-10 ounces water

Blend until smooth

Makes 1-2 servings

Enjoy! :)

http://www.greensmoothierecipesforweightloss.com/