Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
moonbase

My Dairy Experiment: So Does It Really Cause Acne?

When I was younger, dairy would definitely trigger acne. I avoided it like the plague but for the better half of this year i've been having fairly small quantities with no real symptoms. Now I'm going to take this theory to the extreme with a dairy centered diet. If dairy really causes acne I will certainly know it. I will also be adding in another acne wildcard - Citrus fruits. Now citrus had caused some serious acne for me in the past, and I haven't gone near them in ages - figuring I had some sort of "allergy". Since I like to live on the edge - LOL - I had 4 oranges this morning, and to my half surprise - no reaction. This all nicely ties back to the foundation of my theory that acne/allergies/intolerances are only symptoms of things not working correctly. IE. You're broken! Specifically, a damaged gut, improper nutrition(vit&mins), and microbial imbalance.

What I will be eating this way for 1 week:

Fruits:

Loads of citrus, stone, melons, etc

Dairy:

Raw cheese, conventional organic heavy cream, raw whole milk, raw butter, conventional organic cottage cheese (high fat)

Meat:

Pastured eggs, Grass fed Beef/Lamb/Pork, oysters, salmon, shrimp and bone broth

I'll let you know how it goes.

Good on you, are you going to keep a photo diary? Only ask because it'd go some way to appease anyone that doubts a diet-acne connection. Personally, I'm enjoying clear skin too much to ingest my trigger foods though. I've had all the proof I need about the foods I shouldn't be eating and don't want to go back.

@Sunshine

I wont be doing a photo log but i'm not about the skew the results - i'm doing this for the greater good.

@borie

I wont be starting till tomorrow, today i've eaten 4 oranges and plan on 4 more tonight. I used to eat one orange and pretty much have an instantaneous reaction. If I do happen to come down with some issues part way through I will cut one out and continue.

When I was younger, dairy would definitely trigger acne. I avoided it like the plague but for the better half of this year i've been having fairly small quantities with no real symptoms. Now I'm going to take this theory to the extreme with a dairy centered diet. If dairy really causes acne I will certainly know it. I will also be adding in another acne wildcard - Citrus fruits. Now citrus had caused some serious acne for me in the past, and I haven't gone near them in ages - figuring I had some sort of "allergy". Since I like to live on the edge - LOL - I had 4 oranges this morning, and to my half surprise - no reaction. This all nicely ties back to the foundation of my theory that acne/allergies/intolerances are only symptoms of things not working correctly. IE. You're broken! Specifically, a damaged gut, improper nutrition(vit&mins), and microbial imbalance.

What I will be eating this way for 1 week:

Fruits:

Loads of citrus, stone, melons, etc

Dairy:

Raw cheese, conventional organic heavy cream, raw whole milk, raw butter, conventional organic cottage cheese (high fat)

Meat:

Pastured eggs, Grass fed Beef/Lamb/Pork, oysters, salmon, shrimp and bone broth

I'll let you know how it goes.

So if we heal our broken system,damaged gut or improper nutrition, we can eat whatever we want(except junk food), and it will not cause acne? But how would I know that there is something wrong with my nutriton, dygestion or gut, if I feel healthy and I have no obvious diagnosis ( knock on a wood)???

Don't take offense from this. But you seem to be in some emotional turmoil (constantly stressed and hammering one, going back and force with diets etc etc - basically till you find one that you "like" while not dedicating yourself to a sound philosophy), and well you have acne.

Do you know people that eat everything and don't get acne? While I dont recommend eating crap, specifically GRAINS. I only eat grains if I have absolutely no other choice (very very rarely).

Edited by moonbase

I'd like to see the answer to my question, than yelling obvious things. But actually u couldn't even get the answer to that question, so nvm.

I'd like to see the answer to my question, than yelling obvious things. But actually u couldn't even get the answer to that question, so nvm.

I thought I did. Basically yes, you can eat whatever you like.

That's a very interesting theory Moonbase, and it would be nice to know how it works out. I applaud you for doing risking your own skin for SCIENCE! Haha, but seriously, the adventurous attitude when it comes to trying new foods to see if they break you out is something i can fully support.

Regardless of how the results turn out, definitely not going back to eating all the crap food that I have been eating my entire life haha. Maybe in small amounts occasionally.

That's a very interesting theory Moonbase, and it would be nice to know how it works out. I applaud you for doing risking your own skin for SCIENCE! Haha, but seriously, the adventurous attitude when it comes to trying new foods to see if they break you out is something i can fully support.

Regardless of how the results turn out, definitely not going back to eating all the crap food that I have been eating my entire life haha. Maybe in small amounts occasionally.

It's the only theory that actually makes sense in my opinion. Ahha pun intended regarding SCIENCE :) I will never eat crap, but i've never considered diary a detrimental food. It's a nutrient powerhouse. I will never eat grains and PUFA unless I am forced to, as those I believe are what causes the damage, and that's the last thing I want to go back to.

Edited by moonbase

Little update:

3LB bag of oranges down - no adverse reaction.

Did a small test run of dairy. 250mL of whole milk + 100mL of whipping cream + 4 raw egg yolks.. Down the hatch. I feel good - i'll let you know how I feel in the morning. Hopefully no red surprises.

A few weeks ago i went on a yogurt binge, ate 4 pounds after not eating dairy for 7 yrs. i wanted to test the theory and see if my body changed at all. Within 24-48 hrs i broke out with at least 12 big cysts and skin overall turned an angry reddish color. Ill never touch milk again, me thinks.

Edited by Antik

Little update:

3LB bag of oranges down - no adverse reaction.

Did a small test run of dairy. 250mL of whole milk + 100mL of whipping cream + 4 raw egg yolks.. Down the hatch. I feel good - i'll let you know how I feel in the morning. Hopefully no red surprises.

You may possibly need to keep doing it for a week before declaring victory lol, depending on how slow your system is. I've had many hopes dashed in the past by introducing foods one at a time and finding they show up on my skin 5 days later. No reaction from oranges is a great start though.

Update

You may possibly need to keep doing it for a week before declaring victory lol

Yep, I plan on continuing this diet for at least a week.

UPDATE: Woke up with no indications of acne, just had my morning "meal" consisting of 3 Egg yolks, cream, milk and about 2oz of cheese. I also had 3 oranges when I woke up. So far so good...

Oh man. Doesn't that give you a stomach ache? I can already imagining the citrus curdling the milk in my stomach....

I ate the oranges an hour before.. yea i'm not combining them EWWW.

[EDIT]

I dont want to be combing anything with my dairy meals.. just straight dairy (well and eggs I guess). I will have 2 meals like this (breakfast and lunch) and a dinner from the other selection of foods. Maybe a before bed snack of milk as well. Boy I forgot how much I love cheese.

Edited by moonbase

I'm not dead yet - So far i've had 2 large dairy meals and things are going swell.

So far:

1L of whole milk (600cal)

500mL heavy cream (800cal)

3TBS butter (300cal)

4oz white aged raw cheddar (500cal)

Total Milk energy: 2200cal

Interested in seeing how this plays out.

I do believe milk gives me issues, I won't test out whole milk though because I'm too scared to since skim milk I know for a FACT does.

However, heavy cream... no issues at all.

Edited by DeAntonio

UPDATE:

No acne to speak of, in fact my skin has a healthy glow, perhaps more so that usual. However, my mood and digestion have taken a hit. I seem to be "plugged up" for lack of a better word.. things aren't as regular as usual. As far as my mood goes, i'd say i'm a little more lethargic and have less energy than usual.

Still going strong, hopefully the aforementioned will improve

Good on you, are you going to keep a photo diary? Only ask because it'd go some way to appease anyone that doubts a diet-acne connection. Personally, I'm enjoying clear skin too much to ingest my trigger foods though. I've had all the proof I need about the foods I shouldn't be eating and don't want to go back.

I agree! Photos of this process would be super beneficial!

No acne to speak of, in fact my skin has a healthy glow, perhaps more so that usual. However, my mood and digestion have taken a hit. I seem to be "plugged up" for lack of a better word.. things aren't as regular as usual. As far as my mood goes, i'd say i'm a little more lethargic and have less energy than usual.

I have noticed that dairy is highly mucus forming.

For my skin moderate dairy consumption seems to be perfectly fine but I don't eat alot because of other issues with it.

Only things that breaks me out for sure is binge drinking alcohol and excessive carbs. With other things I'm not sure yet but grains and PUFAs definitely play a role for my acne too.

Dairy in general is mucus forming. Many professional singers actually aren't allowed to drink milk before a performance because of the mucus-stimulating properties that would stop them from being to sing higher notes.

Dairy for me isn't really much of a trigger at all but I avoid it simply because it's not healthy. Kefir is ok though because it has minimal lactose and the casein in it is also pre-digested, so as a whole it's the least problematic dairy product next to grass-fed butter. I have some kefir once a week and don't experience any negative effects.