Notifications
Clear all

Coenzyme-A Acne Treatment Regimen

MemberMember
(@jhw)

Posted : 11/15/2011 7:52 pm

I am making this thread to consolidate together information about using pantothenic acid plus methionine to very successfully treat acne. I myself have had acne for a little over 10 years and this treament regimen has worked better on a consistent basis than anything else I have ever tried.

You kind find all the details here [Removed] I am using the pantothenic acid + cysteine (or methionine) method, and I'm currently using methionine. While I suppose it is possible that there may be some people that this solution won't work for, I have tried many, many things in the past and this has shown the best consistent results.

If anyone has tried any of these solutions before, please post about your experiences here, and don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have. I have tried several other b5 based products (as well as many other things), so I feel like I at least have a fair amount of experience using things based around it, and should be able to provide some help.

MemberMember
(@borie88)

Posted : 11/15/2011 9:42 pm

Did you experience and headaches with cysteine? TMG gives me headaches for a few days and turns my pee neon yellow!

MemberMember
(@borie88)

Posted : 11/15/2011 10:03 pm

Nevermind, TMG decreases homo-cysteine which probably causes less production of cysteine. I just looked at http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Acetyl-CoA which is Coenzyme-A's wiki. Apparentl, CoA goes on to produce Squalene, which is found in sebum... On to something???

edit: would this be better? It is pricey, but would probably be the same as b5 and methionine http://www.vitacost....gies-Coenzyme-A

edit 2: Nevermind. It doesn't actually contain CoA. Just Pantothenic Acid, Pantethine, Acetyl L-Carnitine (HCL), L-Cysteine, and other stuff. I guess it isnt worth it unless the amount of the factors in there are correct.

MemberMember
(@jhw)

Posted : 11/15/2011 10:56 pm

I haven't had any headaches, a little bit of mild flushing, but nothing too serious.

MemberMember
(@q-lab)

Posted : 11/15/2011 11:52 pm

Here is the correct lick to using Pantothenic acid and L-Methionine to cure acne :

[Removed]

MemberMember
(@fsas)

Posted : 11/16/2011 2:28 am

would you still need to take a b-complex? have you been taking it continuously or have you stopped at some point? did your body ever become resistant? sorry just a bit curious

MemberMember
(@jhw)

Posted : 11/16/2011 11:10 am

I do not take a b-complex, I have noticed in the past that whenever I do, it tends to make me break out. I believe it to be because of the biotin they often contain. I have been taking it continuously and have had no problems with resistance so far.

MemberMember
(@borie88)

Posted : 11/16/2011 11:14 am

Any specific reason you take methionine instead of cysteine? It you take too much methionine, isn't there a possibility of having too much homocysteine?

MemberMember
(@jhw)

Posted : 11/16/2011 11:57 am

I actually started with using cysteine, but after using it for about a week, (4 500mg a day) it began to make me get "too dry" and my lips started to get really chapped, so the hub author recommended that I try methionine instead. He mentioned something about it having less of an impact on keratin levels in the skin.

I have tried the same level with methionine (4 500mgs a day) and a similar issue happened, although to a lesser extent, so I am currently taking 3 500mgs a day and it is working well.

MemberMember
(@borie88)

Posted : 11/16/2011 3:46 pm

Alright, so I decided to try this since diet alone isn't getting me more than 85%. I'll be taking:

N-Acetyl-Cysteine 1.2g/day

B5/Pantethine 2-3g b5/ 300mg pantethine

Acetyl L-Carnitine 500mg/day

Am I missing anything?

MemberMember
(@jhw)

Posted : 11/16/2011 7:36 pm

That sounds good. Concerning the cysteine, I was told that l-cysteine is actually the one that is needed (and l-cysteine is what I have used) and not N-acetyl cysteine, although I have not actually tried it, so it may work as well.

I am actually about to add in l-carnitine myself, since I also seem to hover around 90% clear or so, which I feel is a very good achievement. I am very clear, with only light breakouts occurring every so often but never major ones anymore. I will see if adding l-carnitine will help to completely solve the problem. I personally have never tried pantethine, but if it is anything like this, it should work well also.

I have never had severe acne, just very persistent, and I now consistently stay around the 90% or so mark. I have had a good diet in general for a long time, although in my case at least that doesn't seem to have all that much of an impact.

To be specific I am taking 5 grams pantothenic acid a day (in 5 seperate doses) and 1.5 grams of methionine (500 mgs with the 1st, 3rd, and 5th PA doses). To some it may seem like a lot to keep up with, but I have now gotten very used to it and it continues to work really well.

MemberMember
(@fsas)

Posted : 11/16/2011 9:19 pm

does anyone know a good site *that ships to aus* to buy pantethine and Cysteine/methionine, im in australia and finding it difficult to find them :/ they only really sell b5/pantothenic acid in stores around here and the online stores i know for aus dont sell it ..hmm

MemberMember
(@fsas)

Posted : 11/18/2011 10:49 pm

That sounds good. Concerning the cysteine, I was told that l-cysteine is actually the one that is needed (and l-cysteine is what I have used) and not N-acetyl cysteine, although I have not actually tried it, so it may work as well.

I am actually about to add in l-carnitine myself, since I also seem to hover around 90% clear or so, which I feel is a very good achievement. I am very clear, with only light breakouts occurring every so often but never major ones anymore. I will see if adding l-carnitine will help to completely solve the problem. I personally have never tried pantethine, but if it is anything like this, it should work well also.

I have never had severe acne, just very persistent, and I now consistently stay around the 90% or so mark. I have had a good diet in general for a long time, although in my case at least that doesn't seem to have all that much of an impact.

To be specific I am taking 5 grams pantothenic acid a day (in 5 seperate doses) and 1.5 grams of methionine (500 mgs with the 1st, 3rd, and 5th PA doses). To some it may seem like a lot to keep up with, but I have now gotten very used to it and it continues to work really well.

i was looking up vitmins on ebay because i cant really find good places to buy off the net in aus and i read that you need b6 to absorb the carnitine, i also couldnt find a methionine or l-cysteine without without added b6 (doesnt b6 break people out?) and also im finding also the carnitine to be promoted as fat burning (cant afford to lose anymore weight myself -_- )

what is it i should buy exactly? meaning look up and actually buy? the methionine or cysteine ( l-cysteine?) and with the b5 is it pantothenic acid?

MemberMember
(@borie88)

Posted : 11/18/2011 10:59 pm

I haven't heard of the b6 needed to absorb carnitine, but its in my magnesium supplement anyway, and I don't think it breaks me out. There really shouldn't be a deficiency of a vitamin, but overloading on one could possibly cause problems (I've heard that too much biotin breaks people out). You should buy what ever you feel you are ready to try. There are a couple things you can try:

B5 (Pantothenic Acid)

Acetyl-L-Carnitine

N-Acetyl-Cysteine

Pantethine (Different from b5)

^^^ Those are what I'm trying because they are in most recommendations I see

The OP takes methionine and b5 and has seen results, so you could just do that as well.

I don't know which is best yet because I am not clear from it yet and jhw is, though it has hardly been a week.

You can either attack everything at once or work it out that you can start with b5 and cysteine or methionine and add the others if you need more results. That's how I would do it if I weren't so impatient.

MemberMember
(@mustkillacne)

Posted : 11/18/2011 11:05 pm

So..........which one do you recommend? Carnitine, Methionine or Lycine?

MemberMember
(@jhw)

Posted : 11/19/2011 2:50 pm

I have now been using pantothenic acid and methionine (swanson brand) instead of cysteine for about 3 weeks now, and although the results are still very good, I personally think cysteine works slightly better, at least as far as treating acne goes. I find that a little odd, as most people say they think methionine is the better of the two to take for acne treatment, but I am noticing that the level of oil reduction has decreased slightly. It is not by a lot, but just enough to be noticeable. Just food for thought.

I am going switch back to cysteine tomorrow and plan on trying l-carnitine soon to see how it interacts with what I am already taking.

As for what to buy, I get all of my items from amazon. B5 and pantothenic acid are the same thing. I have tried several brands of b5, and think Twinlab and Kal have the best (hearing from others, most people like twinlab best). I am currently using 1000mg Kal time release tablets. I have only tried the Twinlab brand of l-cysteine, but it has worked (and is working) very well. From what I've been told, N-acetyl cysteine is a little different and won't work quite as well as l-cysteine, but I have not personally tried it.

Whatever brand you choose, I always try to get one that has no added vitamins or other ingredients. In my case, b6 will break me out, and biotin will REALLY break me out, even in small amounts.

Hope all this helps.

MemberMember
(@fsas)

Posted : 11/19/2011 4:44 pm

I have now been using pantothenic acid and methionine (swanson brand) instead of cysteine for about 3 weeks now, and although the results are still very good, I personally think cysteine works slightly better, at least as far as treating acne goes. I find that a little odd, as most people say they think methionine is the better of the two to take for acne treatment, but I am noticing that the level of oil reduction has decreased slightly. It is not by a lot, but just enough to be noticeable. Just food for thought.

I am going switch back to cysteine tomorrow and plan on trying l-carnitine soon to see how it interacts with what I am already taking.

As for what to buy, I get all of my items from amazon. B5 and pantothenic acid are the same thing. I have tried several brands of b5, and think Twinlab and Kal have the best (hearing from others, most people like twinlab best). I am currently using 1000mg Kal time release tablets. I have only tried the Twinlab brand of l-cysteine, but it has worked (and is working) very well. From what I've been told, N-acetyl cysteine is a little different and won't work quite as well as l-cysteine, but I have not personally tried it.

Whatever brand you choose, I always try to get one that has no added vitamins or other ingredients. In my case, b6 will break me out, and biotin will REALLY break me out, even in small amounts.

Hope all this helps.

do you think amazon would ship vitamins to aus? I think ive had issues with customs in the past -_-

MemberMember
(@jhw)

Posted : 11/21/2011 11:04 am

On that point I really have no idea, I have never tried to get anything shipped to aus. Sorry....

MemberMember
(@gabiinchicago)

Posted : 12/01/2011 8:54 pm

For those taking pantethine and l-cysteine, what dosages of each are you taking? Thanks!

MemberMember
(@omnivium)

Posted : 12/06/2011 12:11 am

I found something interseting:

"Betaine is a metabolite of choline, and is also known as trimethylglycine or TMG. Betaine hcl works by donating methyl (CH3) groups. This nutrient has the ability to convert homocysteine to methionine."

It is against the board rules to post a link, since the website sells betaine hcl. I think it is worth some research though.

GabilnChicago: I took pantothenic acid and l-cysteine and it didn't work for me. I used small dosages though. I think I used 3g of pantothenic acid and 1.5g of l-cysteine per day.

MemberMember
(@borie88)

Posted : 12/06/2011 9:12 am

Those aren't small doses. I am taking 2.5g pantothenic acid and 1200mg of N-Acetyl Cysteine a day, along with 500mg Acetyl-L-Carnitine, and 1g pantethine. I also take betaine hcl for digestion support. Since starting this all a couple weeks ago, I am pretty clear now. I also stay on a great diet though, following the GAPS protocol.

MemberMember
(@omnivium)

Posted : 12/06/2011 2:14 pm

Do you think the betaine hcl could be helping with your acne?

MemberMember
(@borie88)

Posted : 12/06/2011 3:16 pm

Yeah, I think so. It couldnt hurt to try it.

MemberMember
(@crashoran)

Posted : 12/01/2012 7:18 pm

Bumping an old thread, but in my experience N-Acetyl-Cysteine does not work as well as L-Cysteine