My Face.

MemberMember
(@quiescence)

Posted : 11/15/2011 3:43 pm

Eek!

So this is yet another accutane diary to add to the list...

Have been deliberating whether or not to do this log, but I figured it would be a useful thing for me to look back on, plus I'll try and post pictures which will (hopefully!) prove to me my skin has changed in those inevitable moments where I question why I'm putting myself through this!

My story is pretty much the same as most of you, skin has been on/off/good/bad since my teens... I'm 25, have tried everything else, and this particularly stubborn bout has lasted about three years and it's worse than it's ever been...

I've pretty much lost the battle...

So Bloods/Liver fine, Pregnancy negative, Promised I won't make a mutated baby in the next few months and hoozah got my prescription which I'll cheerily hand over to the pharmacist tomorrow morning with skip in my step and an optimistic glint in my eye.

Here's hoping, wish me luck :/

MemberMember
(@jamie-ann)

Posted : 11/15/2011 7:08 pm

Good luck! Accutane really works! Keep us updated. :)

MemberMember
(@quiescence)

Posted : 11/16/2011 11:10 am

DAY ONE

So Got my scary yellow boxes labelled HAZARDOUS SUBSTANCE!

Feels great to finally have my own log after scouring everyone elses on these forums for months now whilst debating whether or not to go for it...I hope I'm glad I did!! :/

I'm on 30 mg daily in one dose with my evening meal, I weigh around 57Kg so this is aroundabout a normal start does I gather (0.5mg/Kg)...they may bump me up to 60mg / day depending on how I react...

Planning on carrying on using Cetaphil moisturiser, and my current facewash which is from avon, although I may change that to a cetaphil one too when I run out... Lypsyl will be my attempt at lip salve-ation (see what I did there?)...ahem..anyway...

So here's my face its blooming AWFUL at the moment, 9 actives left, 4 actives Right - I only get it on cheeks and jawline....

P1010202.jpgP1010199.jpg

Oh and hi Jamie Ann! Have you been happy with accutane so far then? Do you know how to put up pics so you dont have to click on them?

EDITED: in January finally realised how to put up pics so they show in your log!!!

P1010199.bmp

P1010202.bmp

P1010199.bmp

P1010202.bmp

MemberMember
(@sensitisma)

Posted : 11/16/2011 1:55 pm

Good luck! Your acne looks like mine did before I got it under control except mine was all on my chin and jawline. My skin is pretty clear now because I've been on Claravis for almost 2 months and did not get an initial breakout.

MemberMember
(@quiescence)

Posted : 11/16/2011 4:50 pm

Really glad accutane is working for you girls :) you must feel wonderful! I notice both of you are on 40mg/day though... might I ask what weight you both are if that's not too personal! Just wondering whether my dose is a bit low?!

My skin's pretty bad isn't it :(

Make's me so sad.

MemberMember
(@nickireland7yahoo-com)

Posted : 11/16/2011 8:38 pm

Good luck to you! :) Accutane has such a high success rate of remission of acne forever...! It will get better :] Even if it doesn't completely go away, it's so doubtful that there won't be vast improvement :)

I started about a week ago, so I'm nervous too! But stay positive :D

MemberMember
(@sensitisma)

Posted : 11/17/2011 4:50 am

I weigh 100 pounds, so the 40mg dose is about right for me. My derm did offer to up my dose, but only to take an extra pill here and there because she said my weight is at point where I could stay where I am or I could try increasing the dose to see if I'll tolerate it. I will probably do that on my next visit because most of the side effects have improved for me; I guess my body is used to this dose now.

MemberMember
(@quiescence)

Posted : 11/17/2011 4:58 am

DAY 2

Thanks for the support guys!

So far just a constant mild headache - not certain its linked to accutane as I swear I was getting symptoms before I took the first pill in expectation!!! :/

@nick :) Nice to have someone not so far ahead of me to go through this with! Would love to go to texas, its my goal to go to SXSW in Austen one year!

@Jesoli I'm about 125 pounds so I'm on the half dose of 0.5mg/Kg, whereas I gues you are more like full dose of 1 mg/Kg - so you probably don't need to be upped much more really? If my symptoms are bearable I think I'll ask to be put up to my full dose of 60mg/day...Oh so complex, golly I hope my side effects are ok!

x x

MemberMember
(@whatamihere4)

Posted : 11/17/2011 6:07 am

your picture is an animal

MemberMember
(@quiescence)

Posted : 11/17/2011 10:43 am

More accurately....its a really badly taxidermied animal...

MemberMember
(@quiescence)

Posted : 11/18/2011 8:15 am

DAY 3

I'll soon get bored of writing a daily log I'm sure!

Today brought a splitting headache this morning, No dry skin/lips yet!

I have ADVICE to ask... I know BC makes my acne worse, but of course had to go back on Yasmin to go on accutane... However after a month of being back on it my skin is the worst its ever been...May I refer you back to the pics in my original post! I'm now on my 7 day pill break and skin is looking a little bit better for it...dilemma is....shall I...

a) Carry on with Yasmin, battle through the fact it may be really awful for a few months in the hope that accutane will finally take control...

b) Sack off Yasmin and use barrier contraception with my long term partner in order to keep sane when I look in my mirror, not feel like so much of a pizza face when I go to an old school friends wedding next week, reduce the likelihood of scarring and perhaps give accutane less to fight against...BUT then when I eventually go back on BC after accutane has (hopefully!) finally cleared me will it go bad again?

HELP and suggestions please!!! :)

ps - All BC pills seem to make it worse so I cant just change the brand - yasmin is the one I settled on as I know doesn't make me mental/gain weight... plus it gives me bigger boobs..ahem...anyway...

MemberMember
(@sensitisma)

Posted : 11/18/2011 11:55 am

I would give your body more time to get used to the Yasmin because it can make acne worse at first, then it is supposed to make it better. It's one of the few BC pills with an indication for acne (Yaz is another one). I'm also taking Yasmin and it made me break out worse the first month, then I started Claravis (accutane) and everything started clearing up fast. I think it is really the combination of the 2 for me, but mostly the Claravis. Yasmin makes my boobs bigger too ;) I actually had to buy new bras because of it; my hubby loves that side effect. Also, having to use a barrier contraceptive really sucks. Do you have to use 2 forms of birth control to take accutane in England? We do in the US, but thankfully my hubby had a vasectomy several years ago so I'm covered there.

MemberMember
(@quiescence)

Posted : 11/19/2011 9:01 am

DAY 4

Thanks Jes, I guess you're right about yas....and condoms really do suck, its just hard to take something you know makes your skin worse :(

In the UK of course they tell you all about being extra careful and my derm did say 'ideally' 2 forms of contraception but no one is checking....we dont have to do ipledge either but we do have to sign a form accepting full responsibility if we do get pregnant while on accutane, and that you would terminate it if you did :/ ...

As far as my course is going literally nothing has happened! ...no lip dryness yet or anything...did they give me a placebo?! How long did it take before your side effects kicked in guys!?

MemberMember
(@sensitisma)

Posted : 11/19/2011 10:49 am

It took longer than 4 days for me. I actually got oilier the first week, then suddenly my skin & lips started to dry out, but nothing terrible. Give it a little more time before you get side effects; maybe you'll be one of the few people who barely have any noticeable side effects.

MemberMember
(@blahdeeblah)

Posted : 11/20/2011 3:27 pm

Congrats on starting! I'm on day 2 so I will definitely follow your log since we are so close.I'm 5'10, 145 pounds and I'm starting out on 80mg/day. So far the only side effect is the constant headache as well. I rarely get headaches so I can definitely attribute these to amnesteem.

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@quiescence)

Posted : 11/20/2011 4:30 pm

Congrats on starting! I'm on day 2 so I will definitely follow your log since we are so close.I'm 5'10, 145 pounds and I'm starting out on 80mg/day. So far the only side effect is the constant headache as well. I rarely get headaches so I can definitely attribute these to amnesteem.

Good luck!

Congratulations too love! Are you from Alaska? Still getting no symptoms really, I may be imagining my skin/lips are a bit drier... I can't complain, I bet i'll be looking back on this in a few weeks cursing the flakes...

x x

MemberMember
(@blahdeeblah)

Posted : 11/20/2011 4:33 pm

I am! It's currently 2 degrees F. Brrr. I'm sure that will help with my dryness!

MemberMember
(@quiescence)

Posted : 11/20/2011 8:29 pm

DAY 5

So skin still pretty awful, tiny bit better that it was on day 1... maybe due to being at end of 7 day pill break (BC makes me break out), so about 5 actives Left, 3 actives Right - crazy amounts of redness at the moment...

MemberMember
(@quiescence)

Posted : 11/21/2011 7:49 am

DAY 6

Skin feels less 'active' but still pretty bad...

Have ordered some sebamed face wash as I head its pretty good for acnified sensitive skin...anyone used this before?

Have been using simple rich moisturiser for the past 2 days...doesn't seem to break me out but as my skin is so cyst-ful at the moment anyway I can't really tell! I may grab a cetaphil moisturiser instead... Only thing is it doesnt have SPF in it...I live in cold rainy England in the winter and dont go out much in the day as I will scare children...Henceforth I dont think this will be a problem...

No notably drier skin/lips yet...my skin is prone to dryness anyway hence I always have to moisturise...

Hope you're all ok :)

MemberMember
(@bigdreams)

Posted : 11/21/2011 9:05 am

Good luck to you hun! I'm starting mine in a few days so we should be around the same. Can't wait to see our beautiful skin after all of this :)

MemberMember
(@quiescence)

Posted : 11/21/2011 9:08 am

Good luck to you hun! I'm starting mine in a few days so we should be around the same. Can't wait to see our beautiful skin after all of this smile.png

Oh golly gosh I hope so! x x

MemberMember
(@quiescence)

Posted : 11/23/2011 4:42 am

DAY 8

Wowee done with my first week already!!!!!! :):):) My skin is actually loads better at the moment....looks the same due to the scarring but where there were deep painful cysts there is now just redness... I only have about 1 active Left and Right at the moment... Not sure this is anything to do with accutane as my skin often goes in good/bad cycles but I'm definitely not complaining! Perhaps my IB is just around the corner though... :/

Dryness is creeping in slightly but lypsyl for lips is really good so that hasnt bothered me yet..also got a tiny dry patch next to my mouth which will probably grow... currently combatting by cetaphil...I've always had quite a dry acne face anyway (not oily as most acne sufferers tend to be)...so have to moisturise to stop old spot flakes falling into my dinner... sorry that was gross...

Yesterday was one of those stressful "my skin rules my life days".. I'm studying to be an osteopath so see patients on a regular basis, I have to have my hair up to be professional, and the clinical harsh lighting just makes me look AWFUL...I actually try and book my patients for as early in the day as possible so my make-up still looks vaguely fresh... Sometimes I have to re wash. moisturise and re apply make up at lunchtime...

THEN I had to dash straight from clinic to sing at a gig 40 miles away...I was already a little late but still had to nip home to re-wash and re apply as I'd forgotten to bring my facewash to clinic with me and felt so self concious that theres no WAY i'm getting on stage looking like that!!

I CANNOT WAIT FOR THE DAY MY SKIN ISNT AT THE FOREFRONT OF EVERY BLOODY DECISION I MAKE!!!

Do you guys do that too or am I crazy?...I always have to factor in extra time for 'face sorting' or sometimes even cancel or change plans as I can't be bothered to do the whole boring face routine AGAIN... Oh and don't get me started on people popping over unexpectedly... I have taken to hiding my lower face behind a rather friendly penguin cushion..''OH so casually..." oh yes I'm sure no one has noticed...HAHA!

Sorry, rant over.. :) x x x

MemberMember
(@estella27)

Posted : 11/23/2011 7:34 am

Hi ya I'm on day 6, 20mg once a day, weigh between 49-51kg. Derm has put me on a lower dose over 6 months, which seems (according to a study) to be just as effective as a higher dose with less side effects (I hope!)

MemberMember
(@quiescence)

Posted : 11/23/2011 8:28 am

Hi ya I'm on day 6, 20mg once a day, weigh between 49-51kg. Derm has put me on a lower dose over 6 months, which seems (according to a study) to be just as effective as a higher dose with less side effects (I hope!)

Hello! Looks like we're on a pretty similar style course then! Have you had any side effects yet? I've had very very little other thn mild headache and mildly dry lips really so far... Nice to have someone at a pretty similar stage! 🙂 x

MemberMember
(@blahdeeblah)

Posted : 11/23/2011 6:32 pm

Dryness is creeping in slightly but lypsyl for lips is really good so that hasnt bothered me yet..also got a tiny dry patch next to my mouth which will probably grow... currently combatting by cetaphil...I've always had quite a dry acne face anyway (not oily as most acne sufferers tend to be)...so have to moisturise to stop old spot flakes falling into my dinner... sorry that was gross...

Yay Lypsyl!!

I have a feeling that my IB is right around the corner too...I'm DREADING IT! and really hope its not as bad as some people have experienced. All I want for Christmas is a clean, acne free face!...one can dream.

One thing I've noticed is that my skin is NOT DRY at all. I've been religious about moisturizing in the morning and at night, not just on my face but all over my body so maybe I am getting more dry and just not noticing it yet. I know its coming, I just want to be prepared!