Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
clarkd

My Dermatologist Won't Prescribe Me Accutane!

Hi. I should probably start with a little intro. I'm Clark, 21 y/o, and I've had acne for about 6 years. My acne isn't severe, but it's VERY persistent. Also, my face is unforgivably oily and it just looks like it's in bad shape. I scar very easily and it's just completely destroyed my self-image. So, I started seeing my dermatologist in October, but he has me on a regimen on Retin-A and clindamycin. He also put me on antibiotics (minocycline). I've told him that topical treatments don't do anything for my acne. If anything, I feel like my skin has gotten MORE oily. He wants to keep me on this treatment plan until mid-January. I'm kind of considering trying to find another dermatologist. For those of you who live in the San Diego area, would you recommend a dermatologist for me? Preferably one that isn't so reluctant to prescribe me Accutane.

ANY help/advice would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks :).

It sounds like you should seek a second opinion. I do know that you have to jump all the hoops they ask before they will give you the accutane butttt you might be able to find someone less reluctant. Good luck!

I go to a dermatologist in North County- Encinitas. My dermatologist actually pushed me more towards accutane after 9 weeks of antibiotics and a topical. I got inflamed acne the first time in my life this past summer and my skin has been scarring. She said it is probably better to treat it now with accutane and get it over with lol. Of course as long as I agree to it. And I definitely chose accutane to end this annoying infection. My group is Dermatology Medical Group. They have three offices. The closer one to downtown is La Jolla. But honestly I feel it depends on the dermatologist. A friend of mine has one very reluctant to prescribe accutane as well. And then mine was one who prescribes it- obviously not as the first thing- but is understanding of it. If that helps any. I know North County not downtown SD.

Hi. I should probably start with a little intro. I'm Clark, 21 y/o, and I've had acne for about 6 years. My acne isn't severe, but it's VERY persistent. Also, my face is unforgivably oily and it just looks like it's in bad shape. I scar very easily and it's just completely destroyed my self-image. So, I started seeing my dermatologist in October, but he has me on a regimen on Retin-A and clindamycin. He also put me on antibiotics (minocycline). I've told him that topical treatments don't do anything for my acne. If anything, I feel like my skin has gotten MORE oily. He wants to keep me on this treatment plan until mid-January. I'm kind of considering trying to find another dermatologist. For those of you who live in the San Diego area, would you recommend a dermatologist for me? Preferably one that isn't so reluctant to prescribe me Accutane.

ANY help/advice would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks smile.png.

With a lot of treatments your skin will get worse before it gets better.

I was always too scared of the side effects of taking accutane.

I took accutane 3x. I have very persistent acne, similar to what you describe. Although it was not a cure for me, it did make my acne less severe. It could have the same benefit for you. I would find a new derm.

Hey Clark! Welcome to the org.

You could tell your derm that it is persistent, and they'll probably be more inclined to prescribe it if the topicals & antibiotics fail. You could also try another dermatologist if this one doesn't work out. Believe it or not, there really are a ton of other options out there if you can't get accutane or if it doesn't work for you! Topical sulfur, salicylic acid, glycolic acid, lactic acid, azelaic acid, silicic acid, other acids :lol:, topical b3, aloe, colloidal sulfur, MSM, clay, a combination of things, and so much more! My personal favorite is diet and lifestyle changes in addition to a topical regimen. Since you have minor acne, making a few simple changes such as green smoothies at least 3x a week, getting more sleep, exercising 3x a week, getting sun, destressing, and things of that nature would help out.

Specifically since you have oily skin, there's a small collection of studies that topical silicic acid and b3 can help reduce your oilyness. There's also nizoral. You could also try a mattifying lotion. Good luck!