Notifications
Clear all

Redness Post Accutane /lipid Barrier

MemberMember
(@flem85)

Posted : 11/14/2011 6:05 am

Hello!

I havent been in for some time.

I have finished accutane 01.04.2011 and i havent had one zit or any acne at all.

It worked wonderful.

The only thing is that my skin is now allways irritated an patchy red.

I read a post in here a while back where the discussion was if you could get Rosacea from Accutane.

That wasnt possible, but you could get something similar that had to do with a damaged lipid barrier.

Im just wondering if someone has had this problem after accutane and if there are some treatment available to make it bettre.,

My skin is really dry so it has also become really rough.

I had acne before but my skin was so good and healthy. i hope to restore it to somewhat of its former glory.

I guess that my skin has become this way because of too little moisture.

Hope to get your two cents guys

All the best Thomas

MemberMember
(@sammyohh)

Posted : 12/17/2011 2:58 am

Yep.

I have rosecea but I've always kinda had it.

I flush VERY easily. It goes with my emotions so...

I don't use anything to help it because I'm just letting my skin heal on its own.

Been off for 4 months now.

MemberMember
(@oli-girl)

Posted : 12/17/2011 11:05 pm

Hello!

I havent been in for some time.

I have finished accutane 01.04.2011 and i havent had one zit or any acne at all.

It worked wonderful.

The only thing is that my skin is now allways irritated an patchy red.

I read a post in here a while back where the discussion was if you could get Rosacea from Accutane.

That wasnt possible, but you could get something similar that had to do with a damaged lipid barrier.

Im just wondering if someone has had this problem after accutane and if there are some treatment available to make it bettre.,

My skin is really dry so it has also become really rough.

I had acne before but my skin was so good and healthy. i hope to restore it to somewhat of its former glory.

I guess that my skin has become this way because of too little moisture.

Hope to get your two cents guys

All the best Thomas

Is whole body dryness, just the face or patches of dry skin? As Accutane can cause eczema and yes in some Rosacea. What have you used to combat the dryness already?

MemberMember
(@flem85)

Posted : 02/01/2012 7:39 am

I have been using all kinds of different moisturizers. the problem now is the redness is allmost constant. Of course drinking alkohol turns me red as a bete haha.

I are overly dry on my body as well as face. And i have got many red dots on my face and also have gotten a rash on both my overarms. The same red dots as in the face.

On my overarms its small lumps as well but not in the face, its only what i guess is red dry patches. I have gotten this on my body as well. i easily turn red. i am now completely white because ive been out of the sun for such a long time, but now im thinking of going tanning a bit.

The only thing is that im afraid to make more damage to the skin. sun spots etc.

It seems my skin now has changed radically and i dont know how to treat it.

I also have problem with uneven skin tone now. I dont know if a chemical peel would help sad.png

I have lost volume in the face as well and look droopy and tired so i think i will be doing sculptra soon and hopefully this will make things bettre =)

MemberMember
(@thefloydfan)

Posted : 02/01/2012 9:36 am

Regarding Roaccutane causing rosacea, a dermatologist told me the exact opposite is true. Roaccutane in very low doses is actually used to treat rosacea. I had rosacea, until I completed my first course of Roaccutane,

MemberMember
(@slowandsteady)

Posted : 02/01/2012 1:27 pm

what was the state of your skin during the course ? (tone, redness, flushing, ect.)

what was your dose?

MemberMember
(@flem85)

Posted : 02/02/2012 4:34 am

my dose was 60 mg per day.

During the course my skin was as before accutane only with less acne.

It was my normal skin color. no redness, flushing etc.

It started really after finishing the course and i guess its because im so extremely dry :o

That is why its so frustrating.. because during the course it seemed to be a miracle and my self confidense was at an all time high

Regarding Roaccutane causing rosacea, a dermatologist told me the exact opposite is true. Roaccutane in very low doses is actually used to treat rosacea. I had rosacea, until I completed my first course of Roaccutane,

MemberMember
(@slowandsteady)

Posted : 02/02/2012 10:08 am

my dose was 60 mg per day.

During the course my skin was as before accutane only with less acne.

It was my normal skin color. no redness, flushing etc.

It started really after finishing the course and i guess its because im so extremely dry gasp.gif

That is why its so frustrating.. because during the course it seemed to be a miracle and my self confidense was at an all time high

hmm thats extremely odd, seems like people that dont get any side effects during the course tend to get them later on...

I wish I could help you but i have no experience with this sort of thing. Other than I am experiencing what you are but i;m on accutane at the moment. : (

MemberMember
(@flem85)

Posted : 02/03/2012 2:47 am

Thank you Slowandsteady!

I dont want to paint an all black picture and tell that it will be horrible for everyone. I really hope it works out good for you and any other that may be on accutane.

I have good days and really bad days. What actually makes the difference between these days is: Good day: Ok so my skin has different problems,BUT they are manageble and can be improved! My bad days i look in the mirror and i think : This is how i look at 26. and there is no treatment that will work or make it bettre.

My skin doesnt change dramatically from one day to another. its the days when all hope to ever be normal looking brings me down. Not actually my skin but my brain skrews me up!

MemberMember
(@dantheman123)

Posted : 12/03/2012 1:14 am

I have been using all kinds of different moisturizers. the problem now is the redness is allmost constant. Of course drinking alkohol turns me red as a bete haha.

I are overly dry on my body as well as face. And i have got many red dots on my face and also have gotten a rash on both my overarms. The same red dots as in the face.

On my overarms its small lumps as well but not in the face, its only what i guess is red dry patches. I have gotten this on my body as well. i easily turn red. i am now completely white because ive been out of the sun for such a long time, but now im thinking of going tanning a bit.

The only thing is that im afraid to make more damage to the skin. sun spots etc.

It seems my skin now has changed radically and i dont know how to treat it.

I also have problem with uneven skin tone now. I dont know if a chemical peel would help sad.png

I have lost volume in the face as well and look droopy and tired so i think i will be doing sculptra soon and hopefully this will make things bettre =)

I have the same type of redness as you but mine's not from Accutane, it's just from using lots of harsh topicals which irritate and strip away the Lipid Barrier. A depleted Lipid Barrier is what causes our problem, because when the skin has no protective barriers, it becomes red and dried out. I have to urge you to stop using products on your face immediately and read my discoveries on how to heal this:

If the Lipid Barrier is depleted, then your skin is incredibly sensitive to water and topicals. Therefore any regimen designed around washing the face and applying topicals simply cannot work, as it will just prolong the problem, no matter how gentle or natural those products might be. I was using aloe vera and emu oil (two of the best healing remedies for skin) on my face for the last 7 months, and while they definitely succeeded at erasing my surface acne marks and moisturizing my surface skin, the underlying sensitivity and subsequent redness of my face was unchanged. My skin may look a hell of a lot better than it did 7 months ago because I don't have any big red acne marks any more, but my underlying sensitivity and redness is really no better than it was 7 months ago, as everyday I've been continually stripping it and smothering it in topicals that it doesn't need.

Therefore, the simple, biological fix is to stop washing, period. If you stop washing your face and stop putting anything on it, it will finally be able to restore itself to it's baseline biological state, and rebuild it's barriers. The way this happens is through the formation of dead skin and sebum. When you stop interfering with your face and stop artificially reducing your sebum production, the PH and sebum levels can go back to normal, creating a dead skin mask on your face. The dead skin mask will essentially protect your sensitive skin while it heals itself.

Obviously it's not as easy as it sounds. The process can take a very long time. I myself just started this 7 days ago, and my face looks the same as it did last week except now I've started building up some dead skin. It's important to aid the healing process by being as healthy as possible. Unhealthiness of any sort (poor diet, high stress levels, lack of exercise, lack of sleep, etc) leads to inflammation and toxin overload in the blood stream. When the blood is overloaded with toxins, the blood cells cannot properly oxidize, which is what leads to healing. This is why unhealthy people are more prone to health problems, skin problems, and have slower healing. Leading a healthy balanced lifestyle will encourage healing. It's important to stimulate blood flow to the face. Doing headstands everyday is the most direct way to do this. And, as you said, taking a (good quality) fish oil supplement will help. Biotin is another important supplement, as it encourages sebum production.

I've been trying to heal my skin for a year now, I've tried pretty much every product possible, but I never understood what was really going on until now. I really wish I had known all of this a year ago, but I'm confident my skin can recover from this, however long it may take. I'm in for the long haul, and I accept that. I just want other people to know this, because it pains me to see people suffering with the same skin ailments as me but not knowing what to do about them.

jellyy liked