Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MCP91

Depressing Observation

Last night I was hanging out downtown at a Starbucks before seeing some bands play at a club. This area is packed with young people in my age range. 20 to late 20's. As I sat there drinking my espresso I watched these young people on the streets walking by. Their faces glowing, free of any blemishes. Not a single person had any acne. That got me thinking about when I was in College, I was 1 of 3 people in my entire lab that had acne. Go back a little further to highschool, there was never more than 2-3 kids with it in a class. I'm also the only person with it at work.

I don't care what anyone says. MOST PEOPLE DO NOT HAVE ACNE. This is destroying my life.

Yeah... It sucks when you think about it.. I remember I was pretty much the only one with a fucked up face in my high school classes. Even if they had acne, it would clear up within a few month.

I have had the same observational experiences. But remember, if feels like that, but here we all are---other people living with similar skin conditions. We're out here. Next time you have that feeling, just remember all the people here who have to go out into the world and feel the same way you do. It sounds cliché, but none of us are alone. Though it feels like you never cross paths with another in your shoes, we're all running parallel lives in a way.

Keep doing what you're doing to take care of yourself. I'm learning to be gentler to my skin and body---which is not easy. I feel angry that I have to spend time and energy worrying about my skin--it feels so wasteful---like I could be putting that energy somewhere else. But it's so true that once you back off a little, things start to improve. Listen to your skin. Listen to your body.

Remember to check for allergies, use gentle products, and do hormone testing---that's what I'm about to do. I don't have insurance, but I have access to my family planning clinic and they can order hormone testing for like $10. I don't know what your medical situation is, but it looks like you live in Canada, so you have it better than Americans as far as that goes, I'm sure rolleyes.gif

One of the most frustrating things is to get excited about a new "way out" only to have it fail or stop working. But keep trying. And I really feel like the answers are internal---but we have the habit of putting most of our energy into responding externally because it's the symptom. Remember that what's happening on top is a reflection of something happening inside. And that doesn't mean you're sick (which is how I feel it looks sometimes), it could be something really small---like an imbalance or irritant that you're not aware of. I think we have a lot of environmental irritants around us all the time now, and our foods are not as simple as they used to be, and all of this could contribute to changes in the ways our bodies behave. Some of us are just more sensitive to these stimuli than others.

I hope it doesn't feel like I'm lecturing you. And I'm sure I'm telling you things you've heard before---and I know you've probably tried everything you can think of. Sometimes, all we really need is encouragement to keep trying, and that's what I'm hoping to do for you---at least a little.

Actually, a lot of people are just really good at covering it up. I've seen some of the members of this forum post their pictures both with and without makeup and was SHOCKED at the difference. I think a lot of people get pimples here and there and therefore identify as having "acne" - but you're right in that few seem to have moderate/severe acne quite persistently.

Actually, a lot of people are just really good at covering it up. I've seen some of the members of this forum post their pictures both with and without makeup and was SHOCKED at the difference. I think a lot of people get pimples here and there and therefore identify as having "acne" - but you're right in that few seem to have moderate/severe acne quite persistently.

acne or not, you'll be shocked at the difference, seeing most girls with and without make up.

Edited by beentheredonethat1

Some people have really mastered foundation and concealer. I like to think I'm one of them... I feel like I look like garbage without makeup. So just keep that in mind, it can be deceiving.. especially in the evening/dim lighting - it's very flattering.

Master or no master of foundation, and concealer, you can't cover texture. It's impossible to camouflage it completely. The only way it looks like you have nothing is if you have scarring. And that can't always be covered either.

Also, pictures do not show everything. Pictures can make you look flawless because of lighting, makeup, quality, etc.

That's why sometimes it can be a little aggravating when people post pictures (in the gallery, here, and other places,.) and some people don't understand that concept. They get angry and question why the person who posted the picture doesn't have any acne at all. They don't realize it's more about the person posting it for confidence.

Edited by Vampireninja09

That's why sometimes it can be a little aggravating when people post pictures (in the gallery, here, and other places,.) and some people don't understand that concept. They get angry and question why the person who posted the picture doesn't have any acne at all. They don't realize it's more about the person posting it for confidence.

I think it's disturbing when people are met with an angry reaction to a picture they've posted... some people just aren't ready to bare their real skin. It doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to show their face here (I'm not accusing you of anything here, by the way :lol: ). Frustrating...

OP, I know how you feel. I don't remember many people in high school with bad skin - mine was the worst - and then the real world hit me like a half-tonne of bricks because, surprise, I was the only person, at least in my every day life, that seemed to be hit hard with the acne stick despite being 22 years old.

I think the thing to remember is that every single person you see, every single one, is suffering somehow, even minutely, over something they don't like about themselves or their lives. You'll be hard-pressed to find a single person without some kind of inner struggle. At the end of the day, at least this is our clear struggle and we have the Org to seek comfort.

I knowww....i feel this way when i watch the food channel and they show real people eating in nice restraunts, really unhealthy crap, and each one of them had such clear comlexion and they EAT CRAP. It pissed me off and I changed the channel.

Yeah I'v had similar experiences with being out in public and looking at peoples skin. Most people don't seem to have acne. People can tend to have skin texture issues, or smaller blemishes, though....also, you can't see if people have acne all over their backs, their legs, their ass, their chest, etc.

My thing really isn't so much that people don't have moderate/severe acne....it's more noticing that people don't have hyperpigmentation issues even if they do get acne frequently. I haven't met anyone other than ONE girl in a grocery store that had hyperpigmentation and her's was a light pink/red color.....mine is purple and very dark and I can't cover it completely with makeup.....it's hard because I am very fair skinned, so there is a huge contrast.

When I do see people with acne (generally only females), and their acne is quite bad, I tend to see what I perceieve as ugly on myself and think they are unattractive (I know that's shallow, but remember, it's what is an ugly feature on myself, so it's really not about THEM, it's me seeing something I hate about myself but on another person).

yesterday I was out seeing a play and there were many girls there my age....I was dressed as nice as they were, had makeup on like some of them....but their skin was perfect.....not even a single pimple. Mine is covered with makeup but definately still noticeable....it's quite sad. I see people eating what they want, going out to bars, eating greasy poutine at 3am walking downtown.....not a care in the world or a thought about what all that booze and grease is going to do to their skin because it'll do nothing at all.

Came home and just cried and cried after I took my makeup off......sucks -.-

who cares ? lol people have other problems in their lives other than acne if they don't have it, not everyone you see walking around with no zits is just some happy perfect person. get real and get over it.

I work at a university and recently have seen way MORE 20-somethings with acne than I ever noticed before. It may be just because I've been really aware of it since mine got worse, but I realize how much I didn't notice it on other people earlier. For instance, a secretary in our department (who I've interacted with many times over the last two years) has fairly severe acne scarring on her cheeks that I didn't notice until this past week and was like "huh, how did I not see that?" I also didn't realize that Tina Fey has a large scar (not from acne) on her face until I read her book. I guess what I'm saying is that I'm becoming convinced that other people really don't care about our faces as much as we acne sufferers think that they do, that they look at your eyes, your smile, your expressions/hair/clothing and listen to the content of what you say. They may notice that you've got some pimples, but it's unlikely that that's what they will walk away remembering about you...or that they will care at all.

I wonder where you all live and why it seems in my neck of the woods acne is more common.

Acne.org has over 150 THOUSAND members. That's a lot of people with 2 things in common: the have/had acne and they have been bothered by it.

I work at a university and recently have seen way MORE 20-somethings with acne than I ever noticed before. It may be just because I've been really aware of it since mine got worse, but I realize how much I didn't notice it on other people earlier. For instance, a secretary in our department (who I've interacted with many times over the last two years) has fairly severe acne scarring on her cheeks that I didn't notice until this past week and was like "huh, how did I not see that?" I also didn't realize that Tina Fey has a large scar (not from acne) on her face until I read her book. I guess what I'm saying is that I'm becoming convinced that other people really don't care about our faces as much as we acne sufferers think that they do, that they look at your eyes, your smile, your expressions/hair/clothing and listen to the content of what you say. They may notice that you've got some pimples, but it's unlikely that that's what they will walk away remembering about you...or that they will care at all.
Edited by Lola Burns