Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
alex10101

What Do Ya'll Think About Using Aloe Vera Gel As A Moisterizer?

It's soothing, healing, full of anti-oxidants, reduces inflammation, and is supposedly non-comedegenic. It goes on clear, seems to work just as well as any other moisturizers I use but is a little more shiny when it dries. Anyone else use aloe vera as their moisturizer substitute?

I've heard of tons of people using this. However, from what I remember from talking with these people is one thing: don't use the store bottled crap. Anyone who uses Aloe Vera seriously will probably recommend to get a plant, and break a leaf off and apply that fresh, organic, non-processed gel to your face instead. Get a big plant, and take good care of it. Then you'll always have fresh aloe vera gel that hasn't been heated, and bottled and stuffed with parabens or colourants, etc. And it's cheaper, and better for your skin. Not to even mention it's not processed, like EVERY aloe vera product on the market.

I don't mind the bottled aloe vera because it has always served me well, and I don't have any aloe vera plants handy. I don't put it on my face solely because it always feels sticky and masky, but it is good for very dry skin and sunburn and it's a staple in my house.

I use it, and really like it. It helps a lot to reduce redness, and feels cooling. The skin retains it good too. In the mornings when I wash my face I can feel the gel kind of coming off the surface of my skin! Thats pretty good staying power for overnight.

I've tried Aloe Vera Gel as a moisturizer. In my experience it feels tight at first, then it begins to flake off during the day. It really doesn't have good moisturizing capabilities, imo, to use with benzoyl peroxide as a stand-alone moisturizer.

You could always mix a little of it with a regular moisturizer if you want to receive the benefits of aloe, however I did not find it to be a suitable moisturizer by itself.

Hope that helps!

It's not moisturizing enough for the Regimen for most people, plus it tends to flake off throughout the day. If you are going to try it, do what the first reponse says and get your own plant.. They are INCREDIBLY easy to take care of, we have one just for looks because they do not die easy and look neat. However aloe is definitely excellent for sun burns, etc. and helping skin heal because it has similar genetic structure to human skin (weird I know)

Yeah thanks guys, I'm not sure where I would get an aloe plant? I would have to keep buying new ones, no? But that's something I'll look into.

After using it for a while, it seems like it really does help reduce inflammation but like many of you said its not an adequate moisturizer during the day/doesn't last. I'm going to use it at night to reduce redness and likely use a little less BP at night to avoid any unnecessary dryness. Thanks!