Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
whatthekell

Need Moisturizer Advice Quick Please!

so i've been for almost 12 weeks. i started using neutrogena oil free combination skin lotion. it wasn't cutting the flakes. switched to dan's moisturizer and broke out like crazy. i think it's the jojoba oil. so now i've been using olay complete spf15 for sensitive skin. it works great, i have no problems with it, and i can move my face without it cracking. problem is, it makes my face white! i can't stand it and i'm embarrassed by it. so i really need some suggestions for a moisturizer that will provide the same amount of moisture, but possibly no spf? i am allergic to cetaphil cleanser so i don't dare try to use their lotion. i'd love to go out to the store right now and get something so if someone can answer quick i'd really love it =) thanks guys

Hey, you should try the neutrogena ultra sheer sun block. I know that you said you wanted a moisturizer with no spf, but I think it's really important to apply spf to your face when you are using benzyl peroxide. I currently use neutrogena ultra sheer sunblock with spf 80+... crazy right? But I like this sun block because it's thick, it makes the flakes go away, it doesn't make my face look white and creamy, and it protects me from the sun. I also like how it doesn't clog pores and how it doesn't make my face feel oily. Although the spf of this sunblock is very high, it feels as if the lotion is quickly absorbed to my face leaving me with a lightweight, soft, clean feeling. I like using SPF 80 because it feels like it's not even on my skin; when I use weaker spf, I can feel the sun block on my face and it makes my face look white/creamy. I have also been using the Cetaphil cleanser and it feels as if it is making my acne worse. What cleanser do you use? I really hope this help! By the way, this sunblock was recommended by my dermatologist.

Edited by ohhhhhhnooooooo

I'm currently 4 weeks into using La Roche Posay Ultra Toleriane. http://www.laroche-posay.us/_us/_en/consumer/catalog/ByType/Sensitive/toleriane-ultra.htm Love. Love. Love. I finally found something that actually works with my skin and not against it. Glycerin seems to do the job for my skin. My previous lotion did the job of removing and healing the flaky skin ...but it also made my skin feel warm,red, and it did produce some cosmetic acne. It also gave off the white cast from the use of titanium dioxide in the formulation. All and all it was a good moisturizer just not for me. The Mineral Oil I suspect was not working for my skin.

As for running to the store and purchasing the product? IDK? Though in a pinch you could use 100% Pure Glycerin Oil maybe dilute it a little with some H2O and use a cotton ball for application. That I know you can get at any drugstore in the Pharmacy section on the shelves for maybe $2-$4. Just a thought!

Edited by gemmyjunebug

Hey, you should try the neutrogena ultra sheer sun block. I know that you said you wanted a moisturizer with no spf, but I think it's really important to apply spf to your face when you are using benzyl peroxide. I currently use neutrogena ultra sheer sunblock with spf 80+... crazy right? But I like this sun block because it's thick, it makes the flakes go away, it doesn't make my face look white and creamy, and it protects me from the sun. I also like how it doesn't clog pores and how it doesn't make my face feel oily. Although the spf of this sunblock is very high, it feels as if the lotion is quickly absorbed to my face leaving me with a lightweight, soft, clean feeling. I like using SPF 80 because it feels like it's not even on my skin; when I use weaker spf, I can feel the sun block on my face and it makes my face look white/creamy. I have also been using the Cetaphil cleanser and it feels as if it is making my acne worse. What cleanser do you use? I really hope this help! By the way, this sunblock was recommended by my dermatologist.

hmm that is really weird! i would have never imagined such a strong SPF would provide moisture and at the same not make your face chalky white. i will have to look for this next time i'm out. thank you! =) yea, i absolutely hated cetaphil and cerave cleansers. i was actually allergic to cetaphil. it burned my skin so bad. but both of those cleansers don't lather or foam...so it basically was like rubbing water on your face. i hated the feeling. and i never felt clean afterwords. i use clean and clear foaming facial cleanser. it's like $3.99 a bottle and lasts me prolly a month. i used to hate foaming cleansers... but this is very nice. i feel super clean when i use it. it also has antibacterial in it soo i think that also helps. how long have you been on the regimen?

I'm currently 4 weeks into using La Roche Posay Ultra Toleriane. http://www.laroche-p...riane-ultra.htm Love. Love. Love. I finally found something that actually works with my skin and not against it. Glycerin seems to do the job for my skin. My previous lotion did the job of removing and healing the flaky skin ...but it also made my skin feel warm,red, and it did produce some cosmetic acne. It also gave off the white cast from the use of titanium dioxide in the formulation. All and all it was a good moisturizer just not for me. The Mineral Oil I suspect was not working for my skin.

As for running to the store and purchasing the product? IDK? Though in a pinch you could use 100% Pure Glycerin Oil maybe dilute it a little with some H2O and use a cotton ball for application. That I know you can get at any drugstore in the Pharmacy section on the shelves for maybe $2-$4. Just a thought!

thanks for the response! =) i will check out that La Roche Posay Ultra Tolerlane. What a mouthful haha! I've never heard of it. I agree, mineral oil is not good. i actually don't like using any oil on my face. i'm kind of afraid of glycerin oil? i don't know much about it. i can't even use jojoba =/

Dude...

http://www.amazon.co...=A1B7M9EQGNCLQA

i use this lotion after:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000YJ2SLG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&m=A1B7M9EQGNCLQA

OMG...it is so awesome..I just got it..and in like a week all my marks are gone...damm and my skin feels sooo smooth

(: get it...there is like barely any negative reviews...wont regret ittt

Edited by Raiders

Dude...

i use this lotion after:

OMG...it is so awesome..I just got it..and in like a week all my marks are gone...damm and my skin feels sooo smooth

(: get it...there is like barely any negative reviews...wont regret ittt

realllyy? i'm sorry but i haaated cerave. it wasn't cleaning my skin at all. it made it feel like sand paper. so i never tried the lotion. but to each his own! =) i'm glad you like it and it's working for you.

hmm that is really weird! i would have never imagined such a strong SPF would provide moisture and at the same not make your face chalky white. i will have to look for this next time i'm out. thank you! =) yea, i absolutely hated cetaphil and cerave cleansers. i was actually allergic to cetaphil. it burned my skin so bad. but both of those cleansers don't lather or foam...so it basically was like rubbing water on your face. i hated the feeling. and i never felt clean afterwords. i use clean and clear foaming facial cleanser. it's like $3.99 a bottle and lasts me prolly a month. i used to hate foaming cleansers... but this is very nice. i feel super clean when i use it. it also has antibacterial in it soo i think that also helps. how long have you been on the regimen?

I'm currently 4 weeks into using La Roche Posay Ultra Toleriane. http://www.laroche-p...riane-ultra.htm Love. Love. Love. I finally found something that actually works with my skin and not against it. Glycerin seems to do the job for my skin. My previous lotion did the job of removing and healing the flaky skin ...but it also made my skin feel warm,red, and it did produce some cosmetic acne. It also gave off the white cast from the use of titanium dioxide in the formulation. All and all it was a good moisturizer just not for me. The Mineral Oil I suspect was not working for my skin.

thanks for the response! =) i will check out that La Roche Posay Ultra Tolerlane. What a mouthful haha! I've never heard of it. I agree, mineral oil is not good. i actually don't like using any oil on my face. i'm kind of afraid of glycerin oil? i don't know much about it. i can't even use jojoba =/

The Cetaphil cleanser burns my face too!!!! I should really stop using it... I really don't like how it doesn't foam up, it just feels like im rubbing lotion all over my face and the smell isn't too pleasing. Also, it smells like dish washing soap. I've been on my regimen for a month now, I took a break from it. Did you find a moisturizer?

Edited by ohhhhhhnooooooo

The Cetaphil cleanser burns my face too!!!! I should really stop using it... I really don't like how it doesn't foam up, it just feels like im rubbing lotion all over my face and the smell isn't too pleasing. Also, it smells like dish washing soap. I've been on my regimen for a month now, I took a break from it. Did you find a moisturizer?

Really? I was so surprised because it's supposed to be soo gentle. I talked to a girl on here a few weeks ago about moisturizers and she recommended clean and clear dual action moisturizer. i was hesitant about using it because it has a little salicylic acid in it... but at this point i'll try anything. so i picked some of that up and i actually really like it. i'll find out tomorrow if it gives me any reaction. it makes your face really cool though. it feels nice =P

I'm on isotretinoin, and the only thing that even comes close to moisturising my skin is Elizabeth Arden 8 hour intensive moisturiser. It's expensive in shops, but I buy alot cheaper from ebay, it lasts me forever, you only need a small amount, it isn't at all greasy, and works for a long time. I love it. Hope this helps!!

Nivea! Right now, I'm using Clinique's Dramatic Difference lotion (it was a gift, I couldn't afford it if I tried!) but once I'm out it'll be right back to good ol' Nivea. I use both Nivea Soft (kind of a fluffy texture) and Nivea Express Hydration w/ lotus flower and sea minerals. I prefer the Express Hydration - it makes my skin feel moisturized like no other. It's not too expensive either, and a tiny tiny tiny sample bottle lasted me months because so you need so little! Good luck!

I am also allergic to cetaphil! Ever since they changed the ingredients.

Now I use cerVae. You can get it from walmart. The one with the green cap, just like cetaphil they have two washes. One is more lotion based and the other is more gel which is awesome.

I then tried their lotion and it's the moisturizing one. Works great! Pricey it does last because it's the same size as the face wash!

They also have an am and pm moisturizer. I have yet to try those! But it's natural and does help. Maybe ask a derm for some samples before you buy it!

Good luck! I have the same problems! Wish the best

thanks! I actually got the CeraVe PM lotion and love it. It knocked the flakes out for a week and now they're coming back =/ But I am in the process of reducing the amount of BP so hopefully it'll go away again really soon!

garnier nutritioniste moisture rescue moisturizing gel-cream, or their new product moisture rescue lightweight UV lotion both work great.

I wanna try the cerave pm lotion. I've heard great things. Do you use jojoba with it? If not, try adding some. That makes a big difference if flakes are starting to come back. That means your skin is adjusting to the lotion and the jojoba will give it the extra kick it needs. My dryness is pretty under control these days, but I have yet to find a lotion I love. I alternate between clean and clear dual action and cetaphil moisturizing lotion. Usually use cetaphil only at night since it is so greasy.. Just wanna have one thing that works well that I can use morning and night! Good luck to you! Hope the cerave pm works for me!

the first week i started using the CeraVe pm lotion, it was fantastic. i had no flakes at all or redness. then this week the flakes came back and i'm very red. i don't get it. i still love this moisturizer though. i used clean and clear dual action before this and it didn't moisturize me half as much as this one does. it also stung real bad. i can't use jojoba oil =/ i'm super sensitive and it sucks!

@whatthekell- did you ever try the La Roche Posay Toleriane Ultra or Fluide? I've been using them successfully since late October with NO problems what so ever! My skin looks and feels amazing- it is truly healthy. If you are concerned about ingredients do the consumer check on cosmetic database. Granted, everyone's skin is different and responds differently. Ask for samples!!

Try CeraVe moisturizing lotion (in the big bottle). I feel like it actually is more moisturizing than the PM lotion, plus it's the same price, but you get 4X as much! It has nearly the same ingredients, but it doesn't contain niacinamide (which my face doesn't react very well to anyway... so I have no problem with that).