Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Junnn

Questions On Tretinoin

I have been using tretinoin cream on my cheek ( Stieva-A Cream 0.025%) since a long time ago and my face was basically cleared of any red/brown marks and pimples ( except the occasional pimple). Then 1 day i run out of Stieva-A Cream 0.025% and decided to use the tretinoin cream i use on my T-Zone daily which is retacnyl 0.05 on my cheeks and since then, i started to breakout on my cheeks. My question is:

1)Whether changing tretinoin cause another initial breakout

2)and also whether tretinoin will lose its effectiveness over time. ( something like antibiotics become useless when use in the long run)

Any answers would be deeply appreciated (:

*P.S: I went to my dermatologist after my bad breakout and she prescribe differin in the morning too.

I personally cannot use anything over 0.025% (it breaks me out), however, my T zone is less sensitive than the rest of my face. It sounds like you're in the same boat. Go back to the 0.025%.

I personally cannot use anything over 0.025% (it breaks me out), however, my T zone is less sensitive than the rest of my face. It sounds like you're in the same boat. Go back to the 0.025%.

yupp i think we are in the same boat, my t zone is oilier than my cheeks ( i apply 0.1% on my t zone, previously it was 0.05% and its still clear) Guess i try going back to 0.025% on my cheeks and see how (:

Edited by Junnn

Look at it this way: The product you are using now is twice as strong as the one your skin has grown accustomed. That could definitely cause irritation and an initial breakout, but it shouldn't be as bad as the very first breakout you experience with retinoids.

When I was younger I used the cream. The .1% in the red tube. The IB was not bad. Mostly I was just very peely and red. Later, I switched to Retin A Micro .04%. Same thing. Red and peely. This year- when I tried to use the gel at .01% (the lowest percentage)....Oh.My.God. Fire. Cysts overnight. Crusted areas. Took a full week to recover from two applications! The carrier seems to be a major issue for me, and ingredients may change slightly between manufacturers. Like... Shalaks uses an olive esther base for their gel, Ortho uses an alcohol base for their gel. Inactive ingredients can totally break a product.

If you want to increase the strength of your Retin A, I would use the same manufacturer to be on the safe side.

Edited by luckycat
Look at it this way: The product you are using now is twice as strong as the one your skin has grown accustomed. That could definitely cause irritation and an initial breakout, but it shouldn't be as bad as the very first breakout you experience with retinoids. When I was younger I used the cream. The .1% in the red tube. The IB was not bad. Mostly I was just very peely and red. Later, I switched to Retin A Micro .04%. Same thing. Red and peely. This year- when I tried to use the gel at .01% (the lowest percentage)....Oh.My.God. Fire. Cysts overnight. Crusted areas. Took a full week to recover from two applications! The carrier seems to be a major issue for me, and ingredients may change slightly between manufacturers. Like... Shalaks uses an olive esther base for their gel, Ortho uses an alcohol base for their gel. Inactive ingredients can totally break a product. If you want to increase the strength of your Retin A, I would use the same manufacturer to be on the safe side.

Cant believe i never thought of the "If you want to increase the strength of your Retin A, I would use the same manufacturer to be on the safe side. " But in your case it seems that the lower the % the worst ur IB?

I'm the same.......I can't use the alcohol based product whatsoever. And to avoid the IB, I mix the cream 0.025% with some moisturizer until my skin can handle it.

Hmm for me the 0.025%(stieva a) and 0.05%(retacnyl) and 0.1%(stieva a) all have stearyl alcohol and cetyl alcohol in the ingredients ( not sure if thats counted) but i only break out from applying the 0.05% on my cheeks ):

On a side note anyone watch bubzbeauty videos on youtube? a "guru" of face care on youtube. Anyone tried this

If there is, please share your experience cus im thinking of trying it to fade the marks on my face (:

I think they all contain some alcohol (as a preservative) but the quantities and other inactives may vary.

I watched the video and it's nice that she explains the benefits of each ingredient- I don't know about the sugar, though. Every time I have used sugar scrubs, I have broken out in cystic acne. sad.png Massage is good for scar tissue too.

Edited by luckycat

I'm going to start using this apple cider toner today. After my Spiro breakout nightmare 3 weeks ago, I'm finally 100% clear on my forhead, t-zone and left side of my face. I'm still dealing with some small clogged pores on my right side and a couple of active pimples. I wont' use the sugar scrub, however. I find it to me too harsh for me. I'll give you an update on how it goes.

I'm going to start using this apple cider toner today. After my Spiro breakout nightmare 3 weeks ago, I'm finally 100% clear on my forhead, t-zone and left side of my face. I'm still dealing with some small clogged pores on my right side and a couple of active pimples. I wont' use the sugar scrub, however. I find it to me too harsh for me. I'll give you an update on how it goes.

You mean the apple cider from the video? Where does the sugar scrub come from ?

You can add honey and sugar to the apple cider and make a scrub. I find the sugar particles to be too rough. I'll stick to the micro beads like "boot's" brand at target. It's a microdermabrasion cream. Super fine beads. It works really well.

Oh, personally i use the baby brush method to exfoliate or scrub. Only used it once so far so cant really give any results, gonna use it again today ( twice a week)

Btw, does anyone tried lemon juice applied tropically or honey mask and also use tretinoin? (Such as lemon juice applied tropically in the evening then wash off after 15mins and apply tretinoin in the night) Cus im afraid since tretinoin has a IB or purging stage, if the lemon juice get clogg in the pores etc, it will make the IB worst ):

Can I just ask a question. Alot of people on here are saying you can use Retin A and a dermaroller at the same time. The plastic surgeons on the NHS say u must be off retin A for at least a year before you use any acne scar treatments like laser, chemical peel and i presume needling aswell. I think cause the skin is more sensitive and could be more prone to scarring after being on it. Who has been advised its ok to use the two combined? Was it a plastic surgeon or dermatologist?

No idea whats a dermaroller. Normally the idea is to stop using tretinoin for at least a week before doing chemical peel. I ask my derma about chemical peel and tretinoin and all she says is not to use tretinoin after doing chemical peel, she did not say anything about stop using tretinoin for 1 week, let alone 1 year

Today i went to my derma and she mention that changing to a higher % of tretinoin (Eg : 0.025% to 0.05%) may cause another IB due to purging. However i forgot to ask if thats the case if someone is doing well in say 0.025%(acne marks cleared and occasional pimple only) then whats the point of changing to a higher % of tretinoin say 0.05% since it may cause a breakout and all the good work from 0.025% will be ruin. Anyone got a anwser to this? i wouldnt want to go for another visit to her and spend the consultation fee just to ask her this :/

Yeah they seem to have a relaxed approach in the US compared to the UK. We dont pay though so u have to be careful with private clinics cause they will want your money asap. Whats IB? Im on O.O1%

IB = intial breakout. Its cause by tretinoin, something that most ppl will go through before their skin get better if they have acne. wow 0.01% is really low :o

been using retin-a 0.025 for 2 months. is it normal to feel stinging when cleansing my face? and also in morning after cleansing, there will be a few small red patches on different parts of my face, which will go away after a few hours. am i putting too much?, i put just a litttle bit more than pea size for the whole face. or is my cleanser too harsh?, i'm using la roche-posay physiological cleansing gel.

Edited by stwy85