Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cervantes86

Thinking About Quitting Med School Because Of Acne

or maybe just giving myself a one year break. its really hard for me to picture myself seeing patients with bad acne. i know we dont judge because we suffer from acne ourselves, but i know regular ppl do. i dont know how patients are going to preceive me, and maybe think i dont belong there cause i have some kind of disease. :-/

do you guys think iam thinking to drastically??

Hey! I'm in med school too, and I think about that all the time. It's frustrating to me as well, and I'm a girl so I feel its worse (don't ask me why, I just feel it is not as accepted for girls to have acne). I'm thinking about going for a second round of accutane because mine is getting so bad, which I'm weary of because I'm not sure how my body with react to that if I'm in an 8 hour surgery, and desperately dehydrated bc of accutane, and I already have a strong vasovagal response..... But I think it bothers me so much that I may just push through and go with it.

At the end of the day, I keep telling myself that our patients just really want our compassion and care. The thing that frustrates me the most is that I want to be confident (I'm a decently smart med student), and I'm finding that a lot of my confidence goes away when my skin is bad. Not because my knowledge is any less, but just because I'm not comfortable in my own skin.

Don't take a year off. It's not worth it, at least I don't think it is. It'll be more important when you're ACTUALLY the doctor, and I'm more anxious to get my MD than to get clear skin. I'm hoping another round of accutane will help me a lot, and then when I'm interviewing for residencies I'll have the confidence I feel like I should have.

People know what acne is. They may judge you a little (fuck them, it doesn't matter), but seriously. You've worked so hard, and you're smart enough to be where you are. Remind yourself that your intelligence in medicine is far more important than your appearance. Yes, we all want clear skinned and beautiful doctors, but the truth is, it doesn't work like that. Our lives are so stressful, with such little sleep and crappy nutrition, and no time to relax, I'm surprised more of us aren't breaking out. You don't have some type of disease, you're human. Just as they are when they are sitting in that bed.

In summary: Intelligence > acne. You're going to be a doctor. That's pretty amazing.

hey I am not in med school but I am at the hospital in my externship site training to be an echo tech I have to see patients and sometimes I am embrassed because of my acne. I really dont think they really pay much attention to it like we do since most of them are sick and in there own world. I see in patients and out patients. it has really impacted my studying and scanning. I hope u dont quit med school try to stay postive I know its hard. I feel like I have giving up on myself and family. I passed one of my boards when my skin was clear bc I didnt ocd about my skin like I do know. I had peace of mind to study and stay focuse. good luck acne shouldnt rule our lives lets take it one step at a time.

1. You will regret this like crazy if you just quit all right, I can practically guarantee it,

2. A year is a very, very long time.

Is it possible just to take a semester off? That seems like the best compromise to me.

I think I said this to you before in PM or something, but if you're feeling low, do your best just to put yourself on autopilot. I know it sounds counterintuitive, but just pretend you're a robot or something for the time being - something that can operate but doesn't have feelings of its own. You can go home and cry or you can deal with your emotions later, but just do whatever it takes to get you through the day without breaking down until you've figured out a better solution. Of course you can quit, but the old cliche rings true: quitters never prosper.

ugghh...its so hard to study with depression. i guess ill hold on a little longer since all of you ugys insist...

alias, what medical school you go to?? iam a second year.

Don't quit. Don't quit on school. Don't quit on yourself. Don't quit on trying to clear your skin. Don't quit on anything that is ultimately best for you. Just don't quit. What you make of yourself is more important than acne.

I know what you mean, girlfriend!

Although I am not in med school, I can totally relate to what you are saying.

I am a teacher and I had many bad days when I was in student teaching in school. Not only was it hard many times just to get up and go to class, but kids are mean! (sometimes intentionally and sometimes not.)

Please reconsider dropping out. Try to keep the end goal in mind and come to use when you are feeling down!

the problem is this depression is really getting to me. like its getting extremely difficult to study to the point where iam not concentrating. iam seeing my psycholigist tmwr, and a psychiatrist on thurs. this shit is really affecting me with depression and anxiety.

I know you said you're going to see a psychologist and psychiatrist, which will help, but MOST importantly, are you going to see a dermatologist? One of the reasons to get on Accutane is if it is desperately affecting your mental health, but you also have to know that one of the side-effects of it is that it can make you feel down. A psychologist can help you learn coping mechanisms and maybe help show you that there is a lot more to self-esteem than your skin, which is often really easy to forget when you're struggling so much with acne. I finally grew a pair and told my boyfriend today that I felt really ugly sometimes bc my skin is getting ridiculous, and that I hate that I have to wear makeup around him. And he didn't care as much as I thought he would.

I'm sure you're a superb person. Most people in med school are (Yes, I'm a little biased). You have the brains to do a lot in life, and you're choosing to go out and help others on a very personal level. Helping someone when they are sick is one of the most intimate relationships you can have with a person because they are so vulnerable at that time. This is a reason that many of us on here LOVE our derms when they ACTUALLY take us seriously and listen to us.

Anxiety and depression are common in med school as well for other reasons, and the fact that your acne is compounding it does not help at all. I definitely have struggled through the first two years, and even during my third year, I have had some dark days. It is the nature of the beast, unfortunately. But PLEASE, don't give up. Don't take a year off. In the grand scheme of things, its not worth it. Find friends to talk to. Find an outlet for stress. Run, play video games, build a car, teach! Do something that takes your mind off things, volunteer more (that's what I've been doing). Remind yourself that there is so much more to you than just what you see in the mirror everyday. You don't see your patients as being skin deep, so don't assume that's how they look at you.

Chin up buttercup! Things will get better. Hopefully your doctors will be able to help, and if they think that you need a year off, then take it. But I think you can get through it. And PLEASE go see a dermatologist ASAP, and let them see how you're hurting. They have gone through med school too, they should understand.

you're in MEDICAL SCHOOL. Don't even think about quitting. Youll regret it big time. Imagine yourself in the future, and someone asks you about it, and you have to tell them you quit. That would suck, so dont, and youll be happy you got through it :)