Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey guys!

Hope someone can help on this... I've got this LED device with 3 different light tipes... red, infrared and yellow, just wondering what's better for a dude who's planning to use this together with a derma-roller XD... could i suppose use red light and infra-red and yellow together or should they be used seperately? what's best for collagen production? i just couldn't find a decent article on the web, it's just a same copy everywhere. thanks in advance, everywhere.

ViScA BARCA.

Red and infrared are considered best for collagen production and reducing inflammation. I don't believe enough is known about yellow light yet. I think infrared is supposed to provide pain relief, too. I use an LED device with blue, red, and infrared light (but no dermarolling or anything to that effect) and it definitely helps condition my skin and reduce swelling. I also use it for spot treating injuries- like cuts. Seems to take the sting out.

Blue is helpful for killing bacteria. It's actually amazing how many different bacteria it can kill!! It kills antibiotic resistant staph and the superbug (not actually a bacterium), p. acnes, the list goes on. I think combination light therapy is definitely the way to go in most instances. I suppose the blue light could be beneficial after dermarolling/stamping to treat or prevent any infections that may result.

This is an interesting topic. I've been researching leds for a while, and it's really hard to find any hard facts behind most claims that float around on ze internets..

Some companies say that red light helps in wound healing, while yellow stimulates collagen production. As far as scientific backing goes, it seems that those effects both can be traced down to the stimulation of fibroblasts (more or less.) Light only seem to stimulate cellular activity by inducing ATP production through its effects on a certain protein pump ("Complex IV") in the mitochondria. Thus, it would seem that there will only be one optimal wavelength for either end.

This is where the research gets real thin, imo. Wavelengths below 600 nm (~yellow) gets blocked out bad by oxyhemoglobin in the blood and melanin, while absorption by CIV isn't good, so it will probably be less beneficial than the red and infra-red (below 900 nm). However, it could be the case that the absorbed light rays are reemitted at higher, and possibly more beneficial, wavelengths. A case could also be made that if you use a wavelength that is readily absorbed by CIV, then, since the optimal energy content peaks and then declines, you will have an uneven spread of the cells that are activated by the light depth wise.

My advice would probably be to either use all the lights at once or turn off the yellow if the skin gets too hot too fast. But, since I haven't seen any good comparative studies of different wavelengths, it's hard to tell what's best in reality. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable or experienced can chime in and give better advice smile.png good luck!

I think there are a lot of hard facts pertaining to LEDs, but they simply are not fully understood. Compared to other scientific areas, LED research is still in its infancy. Like most things, light exposure seems to be a double edged sword, depending on spectrum, wavelength, and any number of additional variables that may serve as catalysts. For instance, some bacteria and proteins are deactivated by light, while the same light appears to aid in the virulence of other microbes.

Sooo, while there are definitely known benefits to LEDs, all the possibilities are still something of a mystery. I had to organize a bunch of research on LED technology a few years ago and I've followed the subject since. It is really fascinating, and I'm sure in ten years we will have so many more uses for LEDs.

Edited by luckycat

Be smart when looking to buy one of these..

I was reading reviews on amazon for some of the ones "for people" and were typically priced between $200-350. One reviewer said you can get the same exact product "for plants" for about $40. It has the same combination of red/blue, same strength, number of bulbs, everything. It's an identical product. Whether or not it works, there's not much risk to your wallet.