Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Avenger

Antibiotics Instead Of Topicals?

I asked my derm if she would prescribe me antibiotics for my mild acne, (only a couple of pimples, but persistent) and she was more than happy to. I just have to finish my 7 day flucloxacillin treatment for an infected toe blister.

Whilst topical treatments are keeping my acne at bay, they're very time consuming and I'm struggling to find time in my hectic work schedule to do the regimen flawlessly every morning/night.

Have I worked this out right? Could I just take antibiotics and not use topical treatments? (Apart from moisturising)

I'm eager to get on Accutane because I think a course would clear me completely, but I first want to give antibiotics a try first.

Edited by Avenger

I think if you are having success with topicals, you should avoid antibiotics and accutane all together! The side effects are hardly worth it if your acne is manageable.

I think if you are having success with topicals, you should avoid antibiotics and accutane all together! The side effects are hardly worth it if your acne is manageable.

I'm not after a temporary solution to the problem. Topicals are keeping my acne under control but spending half an hour in front of the mirror isn't going to be an option soon as my work takes over.

My acne is controllable but persistent, and as soon as I end topicals it will come back and become uncontrollable, and It will be difficult to spend a week in the forest, living off nature (yes, this is what my work involves, and no, I'm not a part time animal), at the same time continuing with a beauty regimen :P

Well, antibiotics are not a permanent solution to the problem. Many people find that once they become resistant to a certain antibiotic their acne returns with a vengeance and is harder than ever to control. I doubt I have to point that out. Antibiotics are really just supposed to serve the purpose of interim management. I was on Doxy for two years, which is completely useless to me now. What happens in the event of biochemical warfare? I'll have to use Cipro and it makes me very sick. I'm making light of it, but really...

I understand that it is time consuming, but things like antibiotics and Accutane aren't treatments to take on lightly. I really hope no one prescribes Accutane for your mild acne. I think it would be terribly irresponsible. Most folks on this board would gladly spend three hours a day to keep their skin clear, however tedious it might be.

I would really like to know what your routine entails, though, if you don't mind sharing. I am sure someone here could offer some helpful suggestions on how to modify your routine while away from home.

Edited by luckycat

I asked my derm if she would prescribe me antibiotics for my mild acne, (only a couple of pimples, but persistent) and she was more than happy to. I just have to finish my 7 day flucloxacillin treatment for an infected toe blister.

Whilst topical treatments are keeping my acne at bay, they're very time consuming and I'm struggling to find time in my hectic work schedule to do the regimen flawlessly every morning/night.

Have I worked this out right? Could I just take antibiotics and not use topical treatments? (Apart from moisturising)

I'm eager to get on Accutane because I think a course would clear me completely, but I first want to give antibiotics a try first.

As you have said that it is mild, I think it will be better for you to try some natural remedies. You can use cucumber or tomato for treating your acne.

You shouldnt take antibiotics solely. I asked my derm about antibiotics coming back worst when u stop using it and she mention that its because antibiotics only help to suppress the bacteria. it doesnt heal the acne problem. For example if u have large pimple with zits, it only suppress the bacteria causing the zits so over time u wont have zits and then after more time you wont have pimples. However once u stop there would be nothing to suppress it and the bacteria will come back with full force. She says using retinoids will help because it will cause clogged pores and pimples under ur skin to come out and so that they can be healed, thus, there would be no acne bacteria. And due to the antibiotics helping, the IB wont be bad. And once u give a few weeks for retinoids to work and it clear the clogged pores and pimples, getting off antibiotics wouldnt affect you adversely like pimples coming back etc cause ur topicals (retinoids or any other that helps) is controlling/cure it. So going on antibiotics solely wouldnt work, hope you understand what i written here. :)