Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Long story short - Ive been on accutane 3-4 times. Im 26 and a male. The last 6 months my acne has become pretty bad. My picking probably makes it looks ten times worse, but anyway...

I get so many clogged pores all over the face. My clogged pores are filled with white stringy stuff. I also get sebum plugs and blackheads all over the face. My back has tons of smaller/medium sized pimples(which arent terribly inflamed until i squeeze) but they have a hard white sebum substance in them. I also get the HARD white sebum zits on my face. THe PLUGS are soooooo deep with the hard white sebum. I also have the clearish/yellowish sebum plug on the face. I also get the blackhead/plugs on my hairline.

What helps you, is there anything that works or does anyone else have this?

First thing....never touch your acne. It's a hard habit to kick, but if you want to heal it's something you have to quit cold turkey. You also might need to look into a different cleanser. You want something that will clean the skin, but at the same time break down the build up issue that you are having. I personally like the cleanser from Clinique because it has a small amount of Salicylic Acid in it which can go deep to help break things up and it's still very gentle. Squeezing, popping, poking or anything of that nature is only going to make things worse. Not just with irritation, but with bacteria. The human finger and nail have so many bad bacteria on them that's just just begging for your skin to get worse. Also, you might want to try a moisturizer that is in a gel form? I know of a lot of cream ones on the market that will build up and have the same effect you have on my skin. So I stay far away from cream moisturizers. I know that it's touch to look at them and not have the urge to squeeze a little. I used to have them big time on my nose area. I just used a gentle cleanser and moisturizer. Also a nice clay based mask (once a week) worked nice to remove the extra oil from my skin. I like the Mint Julep Mask that you can get at most drug stores these days. Hope this helps a little? Good Luck!

I've had a similar phenomenon happen to me after I finished my last (first) round of accutane. I did have acne similar to that before accutane, but it seemed to get worse a few months after my four-year accutane course stopped in 2008. I've recently started my second round of accutane (being female, this is not the easiest task to take on).

I get the exact same thing-- super hard deep plugs, especially on my temples, hairline, neck. I get the whole "do not pick" idea, but I'm sure you'll agree with me that these buggers DO NOT GO AWAY on their own. I was able to go on accutane again because the dermatologist I am seeing now has tried me on nearly everything else under the sun, even time release cephalexin and spirolactone, to no avail. I've beeon on EVERY antibiotic known to mankind for over 15 years to treat my acne, and they have become increasingly non-effective over time. I'm split as to whether the accutane made this type of acne more prolific on my face or if antibiotic-resistant acne bacteria is the culprit. As I mentioned before, they never seem to heal by themselves, never come to a head, and are always really hard and deep.Makes my face feel like braille. Right now I have a few that have been camping out on my face for nearly a year. It seems like my surface skin is dry, but my deeper skin layers are still making too much oil.

I'm wondering if we have the kind of acne that would benefit from long term low dose accutane. I've just started doing a low dose of 30mg since my dr doesn't want my skin to freak out too badly. A few new ones have popped up, but they seem to be disappearing quickly after easy extraction (I know that the picking is a bad idea on accutane, but like I said, they never go away...)

Maybe ask your doc if you could do a lower dose accutane for a longer period of time (?)-- some people seem to be able to get their doctors to prescribe them that. Since you've already been on it severa times, I'm assuming you have no problems handling it physically.

I wish I could offer more over-the-counter suggestions for you, but the only things that seemed only helped a tiny bit... mild cleansers I got from health food stores, etc. Vitamin D seemed to help a little. I've been using good aloe with a little tamanu oil and that seemed to soothe my skin.

I agree that long term low dose accutane might be an option to discuss to improve your acne treatment with your dermatologist. Are these "plugs" able to be extracted??

I was on two courses of Accutane and only had the plugs stick around after the second round. My derma used an electric cauterizing tool to open up the whiteheads after my first round and they didnt come back. After the second, they came back and have remained here for four years =(. sometimes one of em will get inflamed and turn into a nasty pimple, but never losing that sebum core deep under my skin. i also have a lot of blackheads on my nose and feel that those pores are congested and something is trying to push out. anyone have that feeling? anyways, ask your derm about this electro-cauterizing tool and maybe try it. its literally an electrified needle. It hurts and leaves little scabs on your face for a week but it could work for you guys.

This is the exact same issues i have the deep hard plugs which never move. Ive got some now which have been on my face a year. Gonna get a derm to have a go at extracting them otherwise there not going anywhere some of them are soo deep theres layer and layers of skin over them.

Sorry i Havent a better answer for you im still trying to figure this one out myself.

Well, I decided to go on the paleo diet. Basically, I havent had any processed food for the past five days. Lots of fruit, vegetables, some salmon, salad...

Seems to be helping the plugs. I still have terribly clogged pores, but the plugs seemed to have halted? Time will tell. I get white stringy stuff when i squeeze and theres a lot! Ahhh i hate this. Its so tough eating like this. Im going to find something that works. Anyone know of the best dermatologists in america? lol.

did you ever try the candida diet along with taking pro biotics and some other suplements. you might have a fungal infection and after taking all those antibiotics you have no good bacteria left in you stomach which can cause a leaky gut. if you want to know what i do let me know. i started the candida diet and probiotics and other supplements about a month ago because i had cysts, white heads etc... and i am now left with no acne and a bunch of scars and marks :) .