Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wiscokid

Does Your Doc Know More Than You?

about YOUR scarring? The point I want to make is that to put all your trust in to 1 derm/doc/surgeon may not be the best idea. Many (not all) are going to push you towards their specialty or what they have(laser,etc). Alot of the scar treatments that you read about on here come from people that have only employed a single modality to treat their scarring. Some of this may be fostered by docs pushing people towards 1 option. When that 1 option doesn't work as well as hoped people lose hope and we are all left wondering why there's NO cure, NO help for scarring. Is dermarolling or tca cross or laser or dermabrasion, etc. going to get rid of your scarring alone? NO, I do't think so. But, if you have shallow or moderate scarring, employing several of these treatments over a period of time may get us the relief we are all looking for.

Single one and done treatments dont get it done PERIOD! Dont buy the HYPE and trust YOURSELF first and foremost. educate yourself on each treatment and what they do, what scarring they work best for and formulate your own plan on how treat your scarring. Its probably going to take lots of hard work to get where you want to be. But I feel like there are enough options, when used together to get significant scar reduction.

DONT WAIT FOR A ONE AND DONE CURE!! IT MAY NEVER HAPPEN!! WHAT WE CURRENTLY HAVE IS PRETTY GOOD!! USE IT TOGETHER AND YOU MAY HAVE YOUR CURE RIGHT NOW!!!!!!

i like the way you think, i agree. Waiting for a cure is pointless, i'm glad this wasn't the 70's as there wasn't much that could be done back then.

about YOUR scarring? The point I want to make is that to put all your trust in to 1 derm/doc/surgeon may not be the best idea. Many (not all) are going to push you towards their specialty or what they have(laser,etc). Alot of the scar treatments that you read about on here come from people that have only employed a single modality to treat their scarring. Some of this may be fostered by docs pushing people towards 1 option. When that 1 option doesn't work as well as hoped people lose hope and we are all left wondering why there's NO cure, NO help for scarring. Is dermarolling or tca cross or laser or dermabrasion, etc. going to get rid of your scarring alone? NO, I do't think so. But, if you have shallow or moderate scarring, employing several of these treatments over a period of time may get us the relief we are all looking for.

Single one and done treatments dont get it done PERIOD! Dont buy the HYPE and trust YOURSELF first and foremost. educate yourself on each treatment and what they do, what scarring they work best for and formulate your own plan on how treat your scarring. Its probably going to take lots of hard work to get where you want to be. But I feel like there are enough options, when used together to get significant scar reduction.

DONT WAIT FOR A ONE AND DONE CURE!! IT MAY NEVER HAPPEN!! WHAT WE CURRENTLY HAVE IS PRETTY GOOD!! USE IT TOGETHER AND YOU MAY HAVE YOUR CURE RIGHT NOW!!!!!!

May I ask which treatment (or combination of treatments) worked for YOU? Because, in my experience, dermabrasion makes acne scarring WORSE. The only thing it would "cure" is the red spots, but those aren't permanent scars. It does nothing for the scarring. And, since it can make it worse, I'm not sure people should continue to try UNTIL they come out with something that actually WORKS.

i like the way you think, i agree. Waiting for a cure is pointless, i'm glad this wasn't the 70's as there wasn't much that could be done back then.

Not to be disagreeable, but what actually works now? Not dermabrasion (I've had that), and according to some posts I've read Fraxel & CO2 doesn't work either. Both of these can make it worse. So, if there's something that works, what is it? I'm actually thinking of trying sculptra, but I won't hold my breath. In fact, I feel like a fool for STILL being willing to even try after 30 years of scarring.

May I ask which treatment (or combination of treatments) worked for YOU? Because, in my experience, dermabrasion makes acne scarring WORSE. The only thing it would "cure" is the red spots, but those aren't permanent scars. It does nothing for the scarring. And, since it can make it worse, I'm not sure people should continue to try UNTIL they come out with something that actually WORKS.

Not to be disagreeable, but what actually works now? Not dermabrasion (I've had that), and according to some posts I've read Fraxel & CO2 doesn't work either. Both of these can make it worse. So, if there's something that works, what is it? I'm actually thinking of trying sculptra, but I won't hold my breath. In fact, I feel like a fool for STILL being willing to even try after 30 years of scarring.

From what i read lasers should be our last option. Subcisions, excisions and tca cross should be the first theings we try. Even temp fillers should be considered maybe? Every 6 months isnt really that bad, i mean just find a compitent doctor and get him to do your fillers. Stem cell research (ive heard) is single digit years from us, we're making a steady pace right now. But from what i read lasers shouldnt be considered before you try the rest. I still agree with the first guy who posted this, hes being proactive.

no the doctors dont know more than you , firstly its your skin they are treating no one knows your skin better than you, if you do your research you will pretty much know alot more than what dermotoligist would know,

the reason i state that is they will make you sign a concent form that if any scars occures in any treatment they arent able to be sued for, so in that reguards they dont know how your skin or how the operation will turn out, laser is pretty much should be your last resort because the result is very unstable because its deemed high risk. because youre creating scars to fill in old scars.....

Edited by Syn1122

no the doctors dont know more than you , firstly its your skin they are treating no one knows your skin better than you, if you do your research you will pretty much know alot more than what dermotoligist would know,

the reason i state that is they will make you sign a concent form that if any scars occures in any treatment they arent able to be sued for, so in that reguards they dont know how your skin or how the operation will turn out, laser is pretty much should be your last resort because the result is very unstable because its deemed high risk. because youre creating scars to fill in old scars.....

Be selective of your treatment, but you do not know more than the doctor. When is the last time you filled your own tooth.

In regards to MY body and MY skin, no doctor knows more than me. I have my best interests at heart, so they can keep all their drugs and whatever else they try to throw at me and my family.

The OP is in many ways saying what I have been saying all along. If you walk into a doctors office ignorant of your options he is going to sell you what he has to offer. He has a big investment going. I always suggest you do the research and then select the doctor who does it. Choosing the wrong option can be like pissing in the ocean, and it will get you nowhere. I totally disagree that laser should be your last option. From what I have seen fractionalized ablative CO2 has been the best choice since 2008. Prior to that it was regular CO2 around 1996 and prior to that it was the ancient dermabrasion. I waivered between Fraxel Re:pair and DeepFX a while before settling on Re:pair. There are no "one and done" treatments, so get that idea out of your heads. You either go into this knowing this is a long process or accept things the way they are. Topical treatments are not going to do anything for you. Applying a Magical elixir will only pad the pockets of the con man who sold it. Alternative medicine is just that, it is what you do when you can't get real medicine. Scars had bothered me my entire life and I had tried dermabrasion and regular CO2 with no satisfaction. I went to a plastic surgeon when Re:store came out, but he was honest with me and said it would not help so I waited. Then 4 years ago I read about Re:pair and my actual healing journey began. I have more than a date with a very beautiful 20 year old tonight. Everything in your life changes when you start gaining confidence. I was in the health food store yesterday and the young cashier kept locking eyes with me and smiling. I should have written my number on the receipt, and given it to her. I had a hot waitress at Hooters who had been talking to us sit down next to me and say "I have a boyfriend, does that matter", she caught me off guard so I just said "I don't care". She came back and wrote on the underbill of my hat "Rachel loves you, and I was hot" today I would have got her number, because I have learned a lot in the past 4 months. 4 years ago she wouldn't have given me the time of day. You all can change your life if you get off the Pitty Pot, not buy into anecdotal evidence about treatments that don't work, and understand this quote.

Hamlet:

To be, or not to be, that is the question:

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer

The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,

Or to take arms against a sea of troubles

And by opposing end them.

Hamlet, in contemplating the nature of action, characteristically waxes existential, and it is this quality—the sense that here we have Shakespeare's own ideas on the meaning of life and death—that has made the speech so quotable. Whether or not Shakespeare endorsed Hamlet's sentiments, he rose to the occasion with a very great speech on the very great topic of human "being."

Post Hamlets speech on your wall and go on the attack, and ignore the naysayers, because they just seek to bring you down into the hole they are in. Who is kidding who, this is all about attracting the opposite sex, and being the best that we can be. My journey is not complete but my path is set on being who I can be. If you look good, you feel good.

Edited by DudleyDoRight

The OP is in many ways saying what I have been saying all along. If you walk into a doctors office ignorant of your options he is going to sell you what he has to offer. He has a big investment going. I always suggest you do the research and then select the doctor who does it. Choosing the wrong option can be like pissing in the ocean, and it will get you nowhere. I totally disagree that laser should be your last option. From what I have seen fractionalized ablative CO2 has been the best choice since 2008. Prior to that it was regular CO2 around 1996 and prior to that it was the ancient dermabrasion. I waivered between Fraxel Re:pair and DeepFX a while before settling on Re:pair. There are no "one and done" treatments, so get that idea out of your heads. You either go into this knowing this is a long process or accept things the way they are. Topical treatments are not going to do anything for you. Applying a Magical elixir will only pad the pockets of the con man who sold it. Alternative medicine is just that, it is what you do when you can't get real medicine. Scars had bothered me my entire life and I had tried dermabrasion and regular CO2 with no satisfaction. I went to a plastic surgeon when Re:store came out, but he was honest with me and said it would not help so I waited. Then 4 years ago I read about Re:pair and my actual healing journey began. I have more than a date with a very beautiful 20 year old tonight. Everything in your life changes when you start gaining confidence. I was in the health food store yesterday and the young cashier kept locking eyes with me and smiling. I should have written my number on the receipt, and given it to her. I had a hot waitress at Hooters who had been talking to us sit down next to me and say "I have a boyfriend, does that matter", she caught me off guard so I just said "I don't care". She came back and wrote on the underbill of my hat "Rachel loves you, and I was hot" today I would have got her number, because I have learned a lot in the past 4 months. 4 years ago she wouldn't have given me the time of day. You all can change your life if you get off the Pitty Pot, not buy into anecdotal evidence about treatments that don't work, and understand this quote.

Hamlet:

Hamlet, in contemplating the nature of action, characteristically waxes existential, and it is this quality—the sense that here we have Shakespeare's own ideas on the meaning of life and death—that has made the speech so quotable. Whether or not Shakespeare endorsed Hamlet's sentiments, he rose to the occasion with a very great speech on the very great topic of human "being."

Post Hamlets speech on your wall and go on the attack, and ignore the naysayers, because they just seek to bring you down into the hole they are in. Who is kidding who, this is all about attracting the opposite sex, and being the best that we can be. My journey is not complete but my path is set on being who I can be. If you look good, you feel good.

Is Fractionalized Ablative CO2 effective for rolling scars?

Hamlet:

Is Fractionalized Ablative CO2 effective for rolling scars?

Yes, but you need multiple treatments because the improvement is cumulative.

I do not post pictures, there is no money in it for me. Take the time to listen to broadcasts from the now retired Dr Dean Edell and learn to sift through the garbage you are fed on a daily basis http://feeds2.feedbu...treamOrDownload I am pro Science Based Medicine http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/ and anti Quackery http://www.quackwatch.org/ I come and go from this site, but I always return to find new nonsense. I don't think anybody reads the signature on my posts. Health! The 'open sesame' to the sucker's purse!

Edited by DudleyDoRight

They are business men at the end of the day.

Exactly! That is why you have to research the treatments and then find the doctor. These guys have a lot invested in what they do so they will push what they offer. This is totally different than any other field of medicine. You don't question the doctor when you break your leg, but cosmetic surgery is an elective surgery that you have time to research. If you want subcision or laser or some treatment not offered in the US, do your homework.