Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm curious: as somebody who suffers from acne, do you usually try your best to look presentable (e.g. putting on makeup, wearing nice clothes, etc.) when you go out in public, or do you try to minimize your presence as much as possible by going bare-faced and dressing in drab, unnoticeable clothing? Moreover, what's your reasoning behind your choice?

I'll confess that I fall into the latter category of wanting to disapper as much as possible and therefore dressing to attract as little attention as possible. I simply don't want to be seen and dolling myself up would yield the opposite effect of that. It's not only that I wear no makeup in order to help my acne heal as fast as possible (and to keep myself from getting new clogged pores or whatever) but that I'd feel like a giant fake if I just covered up my skin with tons of foundation and concealer, like some kind of vile monster with a "pretty" mask on to lure in cute boys (and then turn back into my beastly form once I'm "finished" with them like in some horror movie). I'm also paranoid at the prospect of standing in bright lighting and then having all these really frightening-looking bumps visibly protruding from my face, which somehow feels so much more sneaky and insiduous than leaving the big red zits up for "natural" inspection.

Of course I realize this is hardly a logical/rational position to take - and having gotten the previous paragraph out of my system, have to admit that I really miss cute clothes and makeup (I used to be a bit of a clotheshorse and makeup junkie). Only now, I've fallen into this weird pattern of thinking where I won't allow myself to even try to look pretty because oh my god, who am I kidding anyway right. Unsurprisingly, my newfound aversion to lipgloss and sweaters that actually fit is only serving to make my self-esteem even worse, because I look more like an old hag than ever.

So yes, what about you guys? Any general thoughts on the matter?

I wear makeup and dress presentably - not so much dresses and pretty, flirty things, because I really prefer jeans and a t-shirt - not because I want people to approve of me, but so I can feel somewhat decent about myself and I don't have to think about what other people see. It's okay to have honest spots on your face. I would much rather see somebody's acne than foundation slapped on with a trowel.

I am uncomfortable under supermarket lighting, mostly. It makes me feel like Frankenstein's monster. And change rooms... not so much because of the acne, but because the harsh lighting directly above me highlights my cellulite. :lol: You'd think that stores would make some kind of effort to put vanity lighting in to make you want to buy their clothes because you feel nice in them.

i think im kind of both. i try to look presentable, i use makeup (but using less now! no more foundation, just a little coverup for red marks yay) and i dress ok, but im still trying to get the confidence to wear skirts to school (california only has one season -___-) but when im out in public all i want to do is blend in

harsh lighting is THE WORST O_O

i agree with the not allowing yourself to look/feel pretty, i kept telling myself that i would start dressing pretty and being more talkative at school once i had perfect skin. it was like i had my own schedule or goal set for myself

but when you think about it its not like you need permission to look/feel good, so just go out there and wear what you want! easier said than done of course

I used to wear a lót of make up, which made me confident to wear nice clothes as well. Always when i wasn't wearing make up (it was rare) i would wear a dark jeans, dark jacket and sneakers.

Don't really know what changed, but i got fed up with foundation and stopped wearing it, and now i barely wear make up at all (sometimes mascara), but i do wear nice clothes and i'm basically always in heels and i feel so much better. Also, I'm having so much fun shopping and creating my own style, and then at least i look nice from a distance :P

I remember a topic similar to this being raised a while ago and I was kind of surprised by the answers, mainly because it was something I'd never thought about. My feelings at the time were that no matter how good I looked or how smart my clothes were, if my skin was bad, that was the end of it and it didn't really matter if I made an effort. I'd felt that way for years and didn't know any different.

The majority of the answers were from people saying that if they made an effort to wear their favourite clothes, do something new with their hair, smell nice, etc., they could happily feel better about themselves and go some way towards countering their negative feelings about their skin. Personally, although I do feel better about myself and my skin now compared to how I felt then, that is entirely down to the fact that my skin has improved such a lot, so I guess I still haven't quite found a way to just be at peace with it and be more accepting of myself regardless of what my skin is like.

I wouldn't say that I'm the most stylish or fashionable person, but I do have clothes and things that I suppose I feel happiest in and they do reflect my personality and the things I'm into so I guess it kind of ties everything together. I only really notice that if I happen to be in big department stores where they seem to have lots of full length mirrors around the place. I never normally see my reflection at full length - of course, my focus is pretty much my face and nothing else - so on the odd occasion I do see it, I will take a moment to stop and look myself up and down. The bigger picture. I find that I like what I see; the way I'm dressed reflects what I'm into, my hair is the way I want it, it's all pretty much how I want to look. Even if my skin isn't quite right, there are several other things I can tick off the list which are, and I'm learning that it's more important to emphasise those things and maybe then, the other stuff doesn't seem so bad.

I wear makeup and dress presentably - not so much dresses and pretty, flirty things, because I really prefer jeans and a t-shirt - not because I want people to approve of me, but so I can feel somewhat decent about myself and I don't have to think about what other people see. It's okay to have honest spots on your face. I would much rather see somebody's acne than foundation slapped on with a trowel.

I am uncomfortable under supermarket lighting, mostly. It makes me feel like Frankenstein's monster. And change rooms... not so much because of the acne, but because the harsh lighting directly above me highlights my cellulite. lol.gif You'd think that stores would make some kind of effort to put vanity lighting in to make you want to buy their clothes because you feel nice in them.

I like this response. We have acne, we have to learn how to deal with it and live with it. Its okay to have and most people acknowledge it with respect, the people who disrespect you because of your acne should not have a chance to communicate with you in the first place.

What are you doing now to control the acne?

-M

I don't understand why anyone would feel bad about wearing makeup to even skin tone or conceal acne. You aren't a monster under a mask! :) You would be in good company with all the other women who wear makeup to look peppier and conceal their individual flaws. I think most men realize this, and the ones that don't like makeup, just don't date girls who wear it. My brother always seems to choose girls who wear minimal to no makeup, but he doesn't think it's wrong to wear it. I have been more schlubby lately in my appearance because I've gained weight, so I can totally understand. But when I do dress up, I honestly feel a lot better. Just doing my hair is a big step for me (blow drying and such) because I'd kind of given up... but small things do help. Start by wearing a favorite perfume, scent is a great way to feel better. Anyhow, it's your choice. But I don't feel like makeup/clothes/etc are out of your reach now.

<3

I wear makeup and dress up nicely. I also have a really nice hair style. I boldly wear my hair out of my face in some sort of crazy style or another. I feel like my expensive clothes and hair style will distract them from the bumps that my makeup can't conceal.

Besides this I generally hold eye contact and force myself to be bubbly/jovial. I do this in spite of feeling like crap on the inside. So I guess I'm pretty fake, haha. Yay for facades!

I just feel like no one would want to hang out with who I really am.

I miss cute clothes and makeup TOO! Usually I dress up presentable and cute whenever I'm 80-90% clear. I get my hair and nails done, I wear shorts-skirts, flirty tops, showin' off some skin, I wear pretty eye maekup and colorful lip glosses ( but no facial makeup whatsoever). But then, when I get some breakouts, I try to be "invisible", I wear boring clothes, no eye makeup. Kind of "days off" lol.

i think im kind of both. i try to look presentable, i use makeup (but using less now! no more foundation, just a little coverup for red marks yay) and i dress ok, but im still trying to get the confidence to wear skirts to school (california only has one season -___-) but when im out in public all i want to do is blend in

harsh lighting is THE WORST saywhat.gif

i agree with the not allowing yourself to look/feel pretty, i kept telling myself that i would start dressing pretty and being more talkative at school once i had perfect skin. it was like i had my own schedule or goal set for myself

but when you think about it its not like you need permission to look/feel good, so just go out there and wear what you want! easier said than done of course

I miss cute clothes and makeup TOO! Usually I dress up presentable and cute whenever I'm 80-90% clear. I get my hair and nails done, I wear shorts-skirts, flirty tops, showin' off some skin, I wear pretty eye maekup and colorful lip glosses ( but no facial makeup whatsoever). But then, when I get some breakouts, I try to be "invisible", I wear boring clothes, no eye makeup. Kind of "days off" lol.

harsh lighting is THE WORST saywhat.gif

You're right! But when ur not lookin' ur best u would not enjoy wearing nice clothes as much as when u wear them confidently with clear skin. It's still kind of gorss. It seems like dressing nice emphasizes your skin's imperfections more. Just a thought tho, that's the way I feel, maybe other girls feel better when they dress up nicely.

yeah i get what you mean.. like im afraid everyone would think "people who dress like that are supposed to be pretty and have good skin..." so i chicken out every time i want to wear something stylish

I do dress up and wear makeup, though I'll admit sometimes I don't even feel like doing that when I look at my face.

I want to skip classes, so I don't have to dress up and get ready.

But I do, and I go.